Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I install the biggest, ugliest engine guards on an 1100 and I drop the bike while practicing feathering the clutch/throttle will they protect most of the bike from damage?
If I can install some big ugly engine guards until I am comfortable knowing that I probably won't do any major damage then this is the answer as too whether or not to buy an 1100 right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Crash Bars

There is a disclamer on all engine guards. They go out of their way to let us know they don't help in a crash. My guess would be, at only 5 MPH you would need to change the guards maybe some chrome on the handlebars but damage would be less.

Keep in mind what I said about the 950. My buddy has one he loves it. He feels it is easer to handle than his 650 V Star was.

Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I install the biggest, ugliest engine guards on an 1100 and I drop the bike while practicing feathering the clutch/throttle will they protect most of the bike from damage?
If I can install some big ugly engine guards until I am comfortable knowing that I probably won't do any major damage then this is the answer as too whether or not to buy an 1100 right off the bat.
1100 is a great bike but do you really want to learn on such a big bike? Feathering the clutch and integrating it with the throttle is a fairly basic and safe slow movement process you will master quickly. It's the slow speed manouevers (circles, figure 8's, slow routines, etc.) that might cause risk of instability for a new rider and that bad-dream risk of dropping your machine. Just a suggestion --- learn on a smaller bike perhaps in a MSF course?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You will endure some scratches/dents if you just lose balance sittin still more than likely. Tobiquer made some good valid points, I believe. BTW, on another post you made, my friend 50 is YOUNG! Never mind what some of the snot nose kids may think, they will also be there at some time (hopefully). Hang tough, my friend.:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
100 cc

I guess you did learn to ride on the 100cc bike you mentioned. Good luck, on what you decide. I don't want to hold you back.

You aren't the guy that killed Dr. Shepard's wife are you?

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
About 2 weeks ago, I was watching the Idaho State Police training new mc officers on a training range that is close to my house. I saw about 3 bikes go down while doing figure 8s. They had big hard bags on them, and it looked like the bags were hitting the ground first. But I was a ways away.

·
Administrator
16,144 Posts
About 2 weeks ago, I was watching the Idaho State Police training new mc officers on a training range that is close to my house. I saw about 3 bikes go down while doing figure 8s. They had big hard bags on them, and it looked like the bags were hitting the ground first. But I was a ways away.
those figure 8 drills have yet to come into play in my riding style. i took the safety course when i first got my license in 2001 and then a second time a few years later before i actually got my first bike, just as a refresher. both times i did poorly on those figure 8 drills, but i consider my riding skills to be pretty good and i probably ride harder than most. so i wouldn't put too much stock into those.

i know you're concerned about slow maneuvering so i'm just saying that if you aren't able to do those figure 8s, don't worry about it. they aren't gonna be an accurate assessment of your actual ability to get in and out of parking lots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1100 is a great bike but do you really want to learn on such a big bike? Feathering the clutch and integrating it with the throttle is a fairly basic and safe slow movement process you will master quickly. It's the slow speed manouevers (circles, figure 8's, slow routines, etc.) that might cause risk of instability for a new rider and that bad-dream risk of dropping your machine. Just a suggestion --- learn on a smaller bike perhaps in a MSF course?
In Florida I must take a course but my plan is to buy a bike, spend at least 2-3 weeks just cruising the neighborhood and stopping at stop signs, practice short turning radiuses etc. before taking the course.
I will have no pressure, I am unemployed so I can spend 4 hours day practicing if I like.

If I install 2 Sets of the biggest ugliest engine guards on the bike I will minimize damage if dropped.

I know that if I am unlucky enough to drop the bike it will be while turning into my driveway or other very slow manuever.

My only other option is finding some rat 500-750 on CL and practicing on that for a week and sell it. I know that riding an old 750 will be a breeze since I won't worry about dropping a new bike.
Problem is that buying an old rat and then reselling it is a real pain in the ass and I wonder if I am being way overly cautious
Also the only differences will be Maybe 100 pounds of weight and a bit of power loss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say they will do a good job, I laid mine down doing 55 and went off the shoulder and the only issue was the guard had bent back and you could not shift the bike.
We got a fence post and bent the guard back and now you only see a little kink in the bar. Nothing other then a car wash needed for the bike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I can't find the title but in FL they provide you with a 250cc bike.
I dont give a rats ass about the course, I know I will pass that without a problem. My concern lies with buying a flawless bike, getting on it the first time, and dumping it when starting or stopping.
If I can get the f*cker to start rolling I know I can just keep on going until confidence begins to set in and only then will I even bother to try to stop the bike.
Hell, if I have no problem getting the bike outta the driveway I can't see how it would be so tough. I won't get off it. Just keep cruising and SLOWLY reducing turning radius every 1/2 hour or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.