Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will answer this. Yes, yes, yes, with no problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Makes me wonder why you bought the road star if you have no confidence in it. As with any bike ,if have kept up with proper and consistent maintenance then you should be fine. Unforeseen breakdowns can happen and are out of your control. Carry tools with you to minimize the impact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rode Harleys all my life ...... need I say more LOL !!! If I didn't know how to repair them myself I would be in the poor house by now. Thanks for everything brother.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you check your bike on some points, such as Belt tension, all your fluids, brakes, battery en charging circuit, tires en tire-tension there is hardly nothing that can surprise you.
Sometimes the starter-relay is mail function. You can either take a spare with you, but if you short-cut the two connections with a solid piece of steel it will start also.
Did last year 7500 KM with my wife and trailer, did the Pyrenees and the Alps without any disturbances. On top of the Pyrenees the Roadie went over the 100.000 KM and I didn’t even noticed it.

Enjoy your trip!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My ride is super clean, It's kept clean so I will notice anything wrong.an extra relay will be added to my kit. Thank you so much for the great input.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My ride is super clean, It's kept clean so I will notice anything wrong.an extra relay will be added to my kit. Thank you so much for the great input.
i'v been riding my 650 on the highways at or near the red line for 15 years (55k) as of 2016. you won't even be near your red line at 85mph. the only thing that ever failed on me was the pick up coil, but i still made it home with engine missing ocassionally on one of the cylinders. the way you care for yours it might outlast you..

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Makes me wonder why you bought the road star if you have no confidence in it. As with any bike ,if have kept up with proper and consistent maintenance then you should be fine. Unforeseen breakdowns can happen and are out of your control. Carry tools with you to minimize the impact.
two things i keep with the tools are fuel line and spark plug wire unions because at a bar some years ago some ass hat cut my friends wires and fuel line while we were having a cold one. that incident has stuck with me ever since.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't know about the Road Star - but last July I rode my 950T 6100+ miles over 15 days (Ohio - to California- Washington - and back) cruising at 80+ for many miles with no problems.

Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
The first thing I noticed about my 2013 RSSS was my speedometer was off by 5mph. I had the same issue with my 2009 V-Star 1300. What this means is when your reading 85 on the speedometer your actual speed is 80. I have no idea why in this day and age Yamaha can't seem to make a correct speedometer like HD.
I changed out my 32T sprocket for a 33T and then went with a 160 rear tire to finish it out. Now I am spot on. The engine cruises smoothly at 80 and I still get decent gas mileage.
I have read where others have also kept the original rear 150 tire but changed the rear sprocket over from the 70T to a 65 or 66T with similar results.
I rode to Sturgis for the 75th and traveled 3000 miles in a week with no issues. Bike ran strong and I had no issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts