Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I went out to start my 2005 VStar 1100 the other day, it started to turn over and then went dead, no lights, no fuel pump, no clicking. Could it be a starter switch, starter clutch, starter relay, or other?

Thanks

AD

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Dead battery? What is the voltage at the battery?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vstar not starting

Battery Voltage = 12.85-13.02v
I checked to two main 30A fuses on the starter relay, both are good.
I checked the starter relay, it is supposed to click when battery voltage is on, it doesn't. I suspect the starter relay, what do you guys think?

Thanks

AD

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Check the voltage at the starter.... it you have juice, it's time to clean the inside of the starter.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Measure the battery voltage directly at the battery terminals. With the voltmeter still connected, turn on the ignition switch. The voltage should drop a small amount to reflect the current drawn by the bike. If it drops off a whole lot, you have a dead battery. If it doesn't drop at all, the problem is in the bike. Most likely would be a bad battery cable connection (either end of either cable).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does not start

I hooked up a battery I know is good from another bike last night, the vstar started right up. It was the battery. I found this out after I plunked down a hundred bucks for a new starter relay. I was surprised there was no warning before the battery completly died, it still shows 13v after a charge, this completly threw me off.

Thanks for the input!

AD

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad it was just the battery. I hate those characteristics of bad batteries - they can go with no warning at all, AND voltage can measure fine until it is under load. It was very confusing to me when I first started troubleshooting problems like these.

Last summer we were towing a camper from FL to WV - stopped at a rest area after towing most of the way home. Went to start it up and had nothing... we had been gone for two weeks, and the truck had started fine the whole time. Got a jump and made it home, replaced the 8 year old ACDelco battery (yes I got my money's worth out of it).

Glad you are burning fuel again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts