Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and would like some input already. Went from an FJR with a full faced helmet to the Stratoliner and a 1/2 helmet.
The Liner has a memphis shades batwing fairing and a 6.5" memphis shades curved windshield. I also have the memphis shades lowers and I am getting a generous amount of wind around my head, to the point of making my glasses shake on my head. Any suggestions short of changing anything? On a side note I did ride a cruiser quite sometime ago before the Feejer with no windshield or fairing and the wind around my head wasn't that bad, as it seemed I had more clean air than what some call "dirty air". I really would like to keep the memphis shades batwing fairing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No first hand experience behind any batwings, but what I've heard is that the short windshield creates a lot of buffeting and that the higher windshields eliminate most of the buffeting. Again, thats what I've heard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing I'll add is if I take either hand off the grip and place it palm out facing the front of the bike it will eliminate a lot of the wind around my head, so it seems the wind is from the lower area. :confused:

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Strat is more of a pro-street style frame, low neck and long wheel base. That said, the use of a fairing is not as functional as say a Street Glide or Victory Cross Country. On those bikes, the fairings are chest level and a normal windshield is as high as the rider (unless they go windsheldless for the cool factor)

I have a Strat with the standard windshield and at 6'5" sitting in a relaxed position, it is just above my eyes. At the dealer I sat on a Deluxe and the windshield didnt even make my mid chest.

It is my suggestion that you find a taller windshield, although a tall windshield doesnt look great with the typical strat fairing, it will add the function you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I understand, and I have tried a higher shield, one that I am almost looking through, and I am still getting the wind around my head.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are a few that has a flare at the top that kicks the wind up, I have no experience with them but they seem to have a lot of good reviews from people that use them. Others here may have some suggestions on those.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Lowers

Don't know about bat wing but with many windshields lowers solve the problem. As it did on my 06 Liner.

Dave

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would suggest (if I can explain this effectively) take your left arm, place your palm face down and bend your elbow to where your forearm is parallel to the ground. Now place your forearm close to the side of the tank. Move your arm around, in & out, forward & back and see if that helps at all. If it does you need to find different lowers or adjust the ones you have to help out. I don't have a fairing just a stock windshield but all my air and buffeting comes from between my knees and up beside the tank. I can hold my knees against the tank and feel a difference. If you have a highway bar you can even try some chaps for those. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Memphis Shades Batwing fairing as well. I found adding the MS Wind Deflectors helped.
http://www.memphisshades.com/wind-deflectors/memshades-wind-deflectors

They didn't solve the issue entirely but eliminated much of the buffeting. Adding lowers also helped.

Main reason I added these items was for the warmth factor. I only keep them on in the spring and fall when the temps drop but they did help with buffeting too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have an aftermarket fairing and I used to get that buffeting effect too where you felt that you're glasses and helmet would almost come off while riding. What I did this year is I replaced my stock shield and bought me a 8.5" Klock werks shield off EBay. I was skeptical at first but I tell you it stopped the buffeting that most guys complain about who own and ride a bike with a fairing. I'm sold on their product

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies, had a chance to go for a long ride and since putting the fork deflectors on instead of the lowers that has helped, but still had some head wobble. I have the 6.5" memphis shades curved windshield, and just ordered a 9" regular windshield, hopefully that will help just enough.
One thing I did notice for sure is that 2-up really makes a difference on the wind I get, as I seem to get more head wobble 2-up , go figure.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know exactly what your getting at.

I'm 6'6" and put a MS fairing on my bike 4 years ago, and had the explosive head banging blasts hitting both sides of my head and knocking me around. I finally figured it out when I started exploring with my left arm and hand, there is a ton of air blasting up from below the fairing and MS lowers, just over the tank, so I got a set of Bucks lowers that strap onto the fork legs, and that cured the buffeting issue. I also run the Clearview 14" recurved windshield, and love it. I can look over it with ease. It's about mustache level on me, the only time this view changes is if my lady is riding with me, she's small but it's just enough to make the bike sit a bit tail low and brings the top of the windshield up a half inch or so. Stay safe guys and gals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally figured out te issue with the wind and my MS bat wing fairing.....Apparently, which I wasn't aware of, on the actual brackets which are mounted on the bike...there are the two spools that the brackets which are attached to the fairing fit. The bottom spool (nut) pivots which allows the fairing to change angles, something I wasn't aware of, until I met a guy who had a V-star 1300 with a MS and he was kind enough to show me. The fairing now sits more up right and the nasty dirty wind I was experiencing is all but gone. Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts