Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a windscreen and fork screens. Will handling be affected by these being installed? Also, seems like having all that plastic in front of me might get annoying.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
the bike will still be stable, will corner and brake the same

on the interstate when you get behind a truck it might feel like you are being blown around a bit more

the biggest difference is a windshield acts like a speed brake on a plane - you will need more throttle to hold the same speed, when you shift the bike will slow down more between gears, then you let off the throttle at 70mph the bike will slow down faster on its own.

For me the biggest difference is you dont feel the windflow across your body, so you lose the feedback of how fast you are going, and if you are riding in the sun on a hot day you will be cooking in your own juices.

I have windshields for both my bikes. They stay in the garage unless Im going to be riding 70mph or faster, which I almost never do, or unless the temp is below 50F (late fall and early spring) when Im commuting to work. Under those conditions a windshield is better, but it sucks the life out of the motorcycle.

The biggest issue with traditional windshields is head buffeting. Its not just wind hitting your helmet, its your helmet being in the turbulent air where it breaks from being smooth laminar flow off the edge of the WS, to being chaotic. Its like your head is in a paint shaker, your eyes are vibrating so much you cannot read road signs, and your brain is hitting the inside of your skull literally giving you a mild concussion in a manner of minutes - you will know it if it happens, and you CAN NOT ride with head buffeting.

If your windshield is about the same height as your nose or higher you can adjust everything to get rid of buffeting - if its too short you cant, then all you can do is duck your head down lower while riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got a windscreen and fork screens. Will handling be affected by these being installed? Also, seems like having all that plastic in front of me might get annoying.
There should be no change in the handling. I've had shields on all my bikes and am actually a fan. By fork screens do you mean what are sometimes called fork deflectors or 'lowers'? A lot of riders use them and one of the things they may be able to do is direct some air up behind the screen and reduce any buffeting. Others will have to chime in on that.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
one thing you can do with fork deflectors - my 650 has them and a quick release windshield

it takes 10 seconds to remove the windshield, the fork deflectors take about 5 minutes to un-bolt and about 10 minutes to put back on

If I leave the fork deflectors on with the windshield off, it throws more air up into my chest and face - this is a benefit when commuting at 40mph in the summer heat, Im getting more airflow on my upper body than I would if I took them off. In slow traffic at 30mph with my face shield flipped up its a nice breeze.

the flip side is, on the highway at 75mph, its like the bike is trying to blow my head off - not ride-able

·
Registered
40 Posts
I completely disagree with the idea that a windshield slows you down. In fact the opposite has been true in my experience (on multiple bikes). A windshield is curved outward (horizontally) to deflect the wind while your body in seated position curves inward (verically) and catches the wind. On multiple bikes I have gained a couple mph on the top end by having a windshield.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The only times I have felt a handling issue is when there is a sudden and severe side wind. Sometimes the bike will try to "sail" on you. If you're aware of it then you'll have no problems as it is a temporary thing. Riding along the Columbia River on the north side you can catch some serious sidewinds in a few places. But its not like you'll leave the lane. Since I know from experience that it happens there I'm mentally ready for the feel of the sailing. Its never been close to the loss of control, though.

Sometimes, if the wind currents are just right, a big rig can cause it, too.

I'd never go anywhere without a screen. I've had too many of what I call "bullet bugs" (hard, unrecognizable flying things, some bugs, some not) THWACK on my screens (and therefore NOT thwack on ME) that I'll just not ride without my screens.

The lowers down below won't affect handling at all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts