Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Strat. I'm 6'2 and I need the windsheild to be taller or the seat to be lower. I have seen tall windhieds for $350.00 plus.
is there any cheeper way to go. Is there a windshield extention out there? Thanks, It sucks to be broke.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Windshield

Flame Proof,

I have read a windshield should top at about the hieght of tip of your nose or between your nose and eyes. Air will continue on up and pass just over your head. You would be looking over the top of the windshileld.

Sometimes the problem is air passing under the windshield and turning up. Creating turtulence behing the windshield. Buckslowers.com was my solution for this.

Dave

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I have a 06 Strat. I'm 6'2 and I need the windsheild to be taller or the seat to be lower. I have seen tall windhieds for $350.00 plus.
is there any cheeper way to go. Is there a windshield extention out there? Thanks, It sucks to be broke.

I'm 6'1" and had an extended height windshield on my Goldwing. It was so high that I could raise the face shield on my helmet and never feel the slipstream on my face. That had some advantages.

However I ride at night in rain, mist, fog, and in spring and fall ride through pockets of cold and warm air. This causes the lexan to fog internally until it adjusts to the temperature, and with the high windshield that meant flying IFR: zero visibility unless I stood up on the pegs to see over the top. And then the visor would fog...:mad:

Eventually I became a believer in having a windshield that allowed me to see over it while I was in a normal riding position. The disadvantages of not being able to see in reduced visibility conditions far outweighed the comfort and security of being tucked in behind the windshield.

As a footnote, what has amazed me is that the short wind-deflector I have on my Strat's fairing effectively directs the slipstream over me. and I have never felt fatigued from wind buffet even though my upper body is above the windshield.:)

Good luck in your search for the ideal windscreen.

Regards

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are many places where the windshields go for a lot less than $350. Set up a saved search on eBAy for Stratoliner Windshield and you will get an email anytime one is listed. Also check Craigs list and check the diferent forums for items for sale. Also post an ad on the forums offering to trade your Medium for someones tall, there are people looking for what you have. You should find one for under $150 if not cheaper. Good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is it a stock windshield?

I'm 5'11.5" and i dont feel any wind from the front. my windshield is at least as high as my head. it is a stock unit. i have to strain to look over the top. how short is your windshield?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Springer, are you ok? :confused:

Not a single joke in there, and very useful and insightful information in that reply :eek:.:D

Now see, you have me all mixed up with Stratowart "adrift in New England" and Farmall "I live in the pink corner of America" Dan.:(

Unlike those keyboard ruffians, I do my best to articulate helpful, profound, and simple insights without deviating from the narrow path of each thread. :)

I am appalled, sir, appalled I say, that you would think so lowly of me.:confused:

(OK, are we off the record now...?)

:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Too funny guys, I don't know how I stayed in the chair too read all that.
Just to get to the point, I like to see over the shield.. Wind goes over your head.
Is that what this was about?
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone ... If i lower my head about 2 0r 3 inches the battering of my head decreaces and i can still see over the windshield.. I'm long From the waist up so I sit high in the seat anyway... thanks and if anyone has a tall windshield for sale let me know.. mine has some stickers on it I'm not sure how it would clean up but i could try if you have a trade.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Thanks everyone ... If i lower my head about 2 0r 3 inches the battering of my head decreaces and i can still see over the windshield.. I'm long From the waist up so I sit high in the seat anyway... thanks and if anyone has a tall windshield for sale let me know.. mine has some stickers on it I'm not sure how it would clean up but i could try if you have a trade.

It sounds like you're pretty close to the right height on the windshield. Have you considered a minor seat mod to drop you down an inch or so?

Do you have anything on your seat that might be jacking you up (sheepskin, Airhawk, beads, etc)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Flame just take the seat off. put one of those bead pads in and that should lower you down enough. On a serious note I have a similar prob. Now how you feel. The buffet can be tough. I added risers:cool: to the bars and that let me lay back some and took over half of the buffet out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I Broke down and ordered a tall windshield from the local dealer
$169 including tax . I hope It's the right move. I hope It gets Here befor Friday.. we have about a 300 mile trip planned. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a update I put the tall shield and the Bucks Lowers both on the bike. Both were were a great move for me. The Battering of My head is gone and the wife likes it better
The only thing ive noticed is in a cross wind the lowers cause more resistance but thats physics

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great Choice, but don't get rid of your other shield yet, when I added the mustang seat it dropped me down a bit and I wound up taking 2 and 1/2 inches off my shield to get it right. Wrap it up in newspaper and put it away just in case you decide to do a seat upgrade later and you'll have it!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just a update I put the tall shield and the Bucks Lowers both on the bike. Both were were a great move for me. The Battering of My head is gone and the wife likes it better
The only thing ive noticed is in a cross wind the lowers cause more resistance but thats physics
I am 6' 2", '08 strat, and the head buffet has been my biggest complaint. Put on a set of Bucks lowers and went for first ride a few minutes ago.

The head buffet is NOT gone but it is MUCH better.

There is nothing but calm air on up to about 55 or so, when I used start to buffet.

The buffeting from 80 on about to about 105 is about the same. While not perfect, like HD full dresser, fairing, all that crap, smooth, I am MUCH happier and this will do.

Buck is GREAT to deal with and you'll probably speak to him twice and then your stuff is on the way. He will talk you into an oil filter shield; let him. Cheap peace of mind. (Thank, Buck!)

I have a Midnight and we talked about a black bracket instead of chrome and it is not a good match for the color of the bike. It's a flat black. However, I will take it over one more piece of chrome to wipe endlessly. LOL

Now, there is a significant increase in saddle heat with the lowers. That's the trade off. It might even be problematic this summer. Or, I might just be trying to be thorough with my review? It will, obviously, be a plus in cool and cold weather.

All in all, one of my better purchases.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wow. I am 6' tall and I just put a standard windshield on my roadliner. It feels a little too tall for me but then again, I have long legs. I find myself looking through the windshield alot rather than over top of it.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Now see, you have me all mixed up with Stratowart and Farmalldanzil

Unlike those keyboard ruffians, I do my best to bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

See, I can always be counted on to help

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Now see, you have me all mixed up with Stratowart "adrift in New England" and Farmall "I live in the pink corner of America" Dan.:(

Unlike those keyboard ruffians, I do my best to articulate helpful, profound, and simple insights without deviating from the narrow path of each thread. :)

I am appalled, sir, appalled I say, that you would think so lowly of me.:confused:

(OK, are we off the record now...?)

:D
But seriously, I take exception to this "Springer" accusation, especially when it comes to windshield discussions.

To help all more understand the aerodynamics involved........

ummmmmm, well, errrrrrrrrrr...ahhhhhhh ....??????????

aw shut up Springer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts