Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, I replaced my Suzuki VS800 Intruder with a 2008 VStar 1100 Custom. The new bike only has 1015 miles.

I am interested in opinions on a windshield for my new bike. Memphis Shades is an obvious choice. Fat or Slim version?

Any other brands recommended?

Thanks....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a switchblade which is big but also i can take it off very quick like half a second. Also with it all the windshields from them mount with the same hardware so you can buy multiple screens bigger for more highway or smaller for maybe around town. I got a big one cause our highways in ID are 75 and this way the Mrs. dont complain about wind. btw i also have a 2008 Midnight Custom 1100.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked them Switchblade windshields out on valueaccessories.net. I assume you have the Switchblasde 2_up model?

They seem very nice and the ability to put it on or take it off in seconds is a big plus. Regarding the windshield's height (headlight cutout to apex), the info on the website says "These are bike specific, the actual heights from cut out goes from 19" to 21".

I am 5'9" and prefer to look a bit over the winshield most of the time. Based on what I read in the Memphis Shades website, the windshiled height I should have is 17". How tall are you and is your eye level above or below the top of the Switchblade? Thanks....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also 5'9 and yes i believe i have the 2up and yes i can see over it if i choose but also if i slouch i can kinda hide behind it. I like it a lot if you have anyother questions let me know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being able to normally see over it but to slouch at times to get behind it is exactly what I want to do. I like the Switchblade better than the Memphis Sahdes, and the Switchblade's quick release system seems to work very well. So far, it's my choice but I would like to hear other people's opinions also. Thanks....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an '06 VSTAR Custom, and purchased a Memphis Shades slim with quick disconnect. It is excellent, provides enough coverage for long trips and is not too bulky.

Jeff

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2000 vstar 1100 custom
i have bolt on shield, i have never needed to remove
I can see over if sit upright and crouch a bit to be behind , it works well, mine is slightly shaded particularly on lower sides. normally i am looking through the top portion of the shield. enjoy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After starting this thread a few weeks ago, I went back and forth on the National Cycles' Switchblade and the Memphis Shades windshields. After reading other's comments on this thread and doing my own investigating, I ended up buying the Switchblade and installed it about a week ago.

I chose the Switchblade 2-Up windshield because I liked its traditional look better and was impressed by the demo showing the strength of the Switchblade's polycarbonate vs. the acrylic Memphis Shades. Installation was very easy and the quick disconnect bracket, if I ever use it, is simple to use. I am very happy with it.

If anyone's interested, www.cruisercustomizing.com had the best price.

On a sad note, since it's getting cold in the Boston area, today I hput my bike away until the Spring :( . I will, however, continue to visit this Forum daily and hope all you warm weather people continue to safely enjoy your riding.

Next add-on for my bike will be either a seat (Mustang, I suspect) or Vance & Hines slip-ons.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My Silverado came with the windshield which has been off once,never again. I feel it is a safety issue not being able to see over the windshield especially at night in the rain. I know not to many people ride at night in the rain. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Yes, I too have dealt with the stock Silverado windsheild, sure is a pain dealin with that, lots of time and trouble to take off(or even adjust) not a good system. My bolts and screws didn't match well either, twist and push a lot to fit: just me, needs to be much better for what they cost. Ride safe:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I have a National Cycle switchblade ordered for my V-Star 650 Classic. I did order the 2-up (21 inch) because, if I have an issue with it being too tall, there's always the option of going to a glass shop or whatever and having it cut down whereas if you have something too short, you're stuck with it.

I don't do a lot of highway riding anyways so I'll see how I do with it first, even if it is a bit too tall. That's why I'm getting the switchblade, so I can take it off quickly if it's not needed.

What do you think of my reason for ordering the 2-up instead of the smaller chopped or shorty model? Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I started this thread a while ago, I was in the same predicament as you with no clear idea on which windshield would be the best for me. I ended up buying the Nat'l Cycles 2-Up and have been very happy with it.

I am 5'9" and when I followed the installation instructions, the top edge of the windshield was about even with the bridge of my nose when I sat on the bike in a normal riding position. That is about the height you should have.

You can adjust the windshield's mounting brackets if needed to bring the windshield to the height you want. I believe there is info on the National Cycles website that discusses the proper way to measure the correct height. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I watched one of Cruiser Customizing's videos about windshields. It was impressive, and basically reached the same conclusions Stevea reached. The "polycarbonate vs. the acrylic" issue was a deal breaker for Memphis Shades (for me). You can beat the polycarbonate (literally) with a hammer and it will stand up without a scratch. You can also drill holes in it to attach mountings, etc. and the holes will not, apparently, weaken the "glass".

On a personal level, my 07 VStar 1100 Classic had the Switchblade (pop-off) windshield when I bought it, with the ability to mount or dismount in 1 quick movement; what a wonderful feature when you are riding in town a lot, but hit the long road regularly. When I "travel to ride" I can throw the W/S in my bike-trailer toolbox (a pickup bed toolbox) and have the W/S on when I need it, or pop it off in a second when I want to feel the wind on my next ride (picture riding the "Tail of the Dragon" without the windshield, but having it on when getting there from 900 miles away).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also 5'9 and yes i believe i have the 2up and yes i can see over it if i choose but also if i slouch i can kinda hide behind it. I like it a lot if you have anyother questions let me know.
I am 6ft6in and have the Memphis Shades 2 up....I find it to be perfect! It takes the majority of the wind off me,.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts