Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a MS windsheild for my 950. The brackets use the bolts that the turn signals use. I can't get those out. I broke off the allen wrench that came with the windshield. Are those locktited in. The instructions don't say anything about that, it just says remove. I hate to reef on them too hard, don't want to round them out.:confused:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I bought a MS windsheild for my 950. The brackets use the bolts that the turn signals use. I can't get those out. I broke off the allen wrench that came with the windshield. Are those locktited in. The instructions don't say anything about that, it just says remove. I hate to reef on them too hard, don't want to round them out.:confused:
If you broke an allen wrench off, don't worry about rounding them off they are toast. Use an easy out, get them out and buy new bolts. At least that's what I would do, I think you can get them out with a drill and an easy out and get your job done.:) Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The allen wrench that came with the windshield broke, the bolts are still okay. I tried again with a better quality allen wrench. The bolts will not budge. I don't want to break a bolt off in the tree, so I was wondering if there was a secret to get them out.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The allen wrench that came with the windshield broke, the bolts are still okay. I tried again with a better quality allen wrench. The bolts will not budge. I don't want to break a bolt off in the tree, so I was wondering if there was a secret to get them out.
I have never liked allen heads in a situation where they needed to be very tight, maybe we ain't on the same page here on what needs to be done here, but I have never had a case where the bolt shaft itself broke off using an easy out, I guess there is always a first time, it does sound like it needs some good torque to twist them out , they WILL come I think, if I am very off base here, I hope someone will give a much better answer.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not trying to sound mean or anything so im sorry in advance just in case it sounds mean, but are you turning it the right way. clockwise will tighten it and counter-clockwise will loosen it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Heat

Wonder if you can apply a little heat to the bolts without getting in trouble? Maybe some penetrating oil. The heat might pull in the penetrating oil or loosen the bolt.

Be very carefull with any heat, don't let it touch or even get close to the windshield or the paint. Maybe use a soldering iron.

An impact wrench will loosen it easer if you have one available. Just don't hit it to hard. Let the wrench loosen it over time. Hope you don't brake the bolt off.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
undo the bolt

use a center punch with a flat end, make sure it touches the bottom of the cap head bolt without touching the sides then give it a few hefty taps with a 1lb hammer. get a good make extended allen key and put some pressue on it to try tighten it this should break the seal then give it some mighty pressure the right way to undo it. this is usually guaranteed. if your really unlucky and the head shears off dont sweat it just undo the other bollt take it off and just use vice grips on the protuding threads and undo it because it will be loose now. good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the punch thing first. I have tomorrow off from work. I put a MS on my wifes 650 last Sunday, it was a piece of cake. It would have sure been easier if Yamaha didn't use the tapered forks on the 950.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had taken off the bolts on my 950 passenger foot pegs. The factory used Red Locktite-some pretty hefty stuff. I used a T-Handle allen key which gave me some good leverage-it took quite a bit to get it off. As per the Locktite website www.locktiteproducts.com they suggest the following:

Blue: Can be removed with hand tools
Red: Apply heat to remove
Green: Apply heat to remove

Since you broke an allen key, this would lead me to believe that its not the blue locktite probably at least red.
Take your time, make sure the allen key is seated well. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the punch thing first. I have tomorrow off from work. I put a MS on my wifes 650 last Sunday, it was a piece of cake. It would have sure been easier if Yamaha didn't use the tapered forks on the 950.
some allen keys that come with kits are just cheap and nasty. that good extended allen key should do it. the tapered legs are part of the charm on the 950, i made my own wind sreen and brackets which come off the riser caps via 4 tube spacers a shaped 1/4 stainless strap with a piece with a slot in it to allow me to angle the windscreen to the best position.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took it down to the dealer. The salesman stripped out the heads on the bolts. The service dept. made me an appointment for next week. We tried impact driver, long ratchet, still no luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took it down to the dealer. The salesman stripped out the heads on the bolts. The service dept. made me an appointment for next week. We tried impact driver, long ratchet, still no luck.
all i can say is WOW! if the imact driver and tight fitting allen key didn,t do and rounded out the heads instead of shearing them. the yam bolts must be made of recycled beer cans. seriously an impact driver will take out bolts with red loctite on. you,ve been dead unlucky. post what the sevice dept says about it john. anyway why did you let a salesman have a go instead of a mechanic. a bolt is a bolt you could have taken it to a local car garage and asked a mechanic their. hope you,re luckier in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts