Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks as though I have the standard mounting hardware for a windshield. My problem is when I rest my front to one side the mounting screw hits my tank, even to the point of denting my tank and rupturing the tank (am on my second tank). Does anyone know what I need besides take off my wind shield?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It looks as though I have the standard mounting hardware for a windshield. My problem is when I rest my front to one side the mounting screw hits my tank, even to the point of denting my tank and rupturing the tank (am on my second tank). Does anyone know what I need besides take off my wind shield?
Don't rest it to the side? I don't know...is there some way to put some type of rubber coat on the screw?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very very careful about resting it on its side, got a front tire put on and the mechanic was not as careful. I have tried to do something to the turn stop with no luck and I have rigged something over the screw but I know this is not the way it is meant to be set up.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That doesn't sound right, or there would be more people with this problem. You mention the right mount kit. Are you sure the kit is for the right application, that it's a Classic kit for a Classic, or a Custom kit for a Custom? Could a bolt be turned the wrong way? Is your turn stop broken, I've sheared one off in an accident before? As you sit in the seat do your handlebars turn more one way than the other?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this bike used so what I have researched it looks like the mount that is supposed to come with it. The bolt coming from the top of the fork tube is a rounded off bolt. Is there a mounting system that I can use with my current windshield that does not use the top of the fork tubes as a mounting point?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Do you have any part numbers off the mount? So it can be checked. Is it a yamaha part? I went through it with the driving lights. Different models have different lightbars and different lightbars use different lights and they all look the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are no part numbers on the bracket. I do not have driving lights but it looks as though part of the bracket is connected to the mount that is bolted onto the bottom of the headlight and comes up and wraps around the fork tubes.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
there are no part numbers on the bracket. I do not have driving lights but it looks as though part of the bracket is connected to the mount that is bolted onto the bottom of the headlight and comes up and wraps around the fork tubes.
That does not look like a factory installed windscreen, or mount. I might go down to the local dealer and look at the new bikes the mounts have not changed much is the past several years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well

I went to the shop and they think that my steering stop is dinged and is bent just enough to allow my bracket to hit my tank. May try to drop a bead on it so it wont turn so much short of that they said bike was not fixable. I think they may have just wanted ot sell me a new one, not much help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts