Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 VStar 1100 Silverado. I'm looking at some Yamaha Chrome Windshield Lowers to help reduce the wind buffeting I'm currently getting. My question.... are they worth it? Do they really work, or are they just ornamental?

·
Registered
11 Posts
eprovenzaon:

I have the chrome lowers on my 2000 1100 vstar classic. My bike has the windshield and bags like a Silverado edition. The lowers are worth it. I added them to my bike very shortly after I got in '03. They really make a difference in wind noise up around your head. I've ridden other bigger bikes with full windshields and even lowers around the floorboards, and found that I could do without the low lowers, but really need the lowers just under the windshield.
jazzer59

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I wanted to hear. I'll place an order for a set today.

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just received my yamaha windshield lowers. I hope to install them tonight and will get a review posted as soon as I can.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As promised, here's the ride report....

I normally ride my 08 1100 Silverado to work. I usually cruise along at 60 to 65 mph. I've ridden the bike enough that I can usually tell what my speed is by the wind noise and the sound of the v-twin purring along. Well this morning I was cruising along thinking I was only doing 55 - 60 mph... I glanced down only to see I was cruising along at 72.... Holy crap... !!!

The reduction of the wind buffeting is amazing... I could not believe the difference. For those who wonder if the lower deflectors work, well they do... They are worth every penny and then some. It only took 20 min to install, and is with out a doubt one of the best mods you can make.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ordered a set a few weeks ago, back ordered and Yamaha wanted almost 300 bucks. Hope it works as well as everybody says it does. The dealer said it wouldn't help at all

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased mine through www.mrcycles.com, for just over $100.00 delivered. I installed mine in 20 min.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Id that 97.00 complete with the glass/plastic pieces too?

The images in your link look like just mounting brackets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those are the actual deflectors my friend. I have a pair I bought off a guy on the Delphi 650 forum and installed after a minor alteration of the bolt holes. I have since removed them after a brief ride as I felt there was more air flow up towards my arm but that turned out not to be the case.
One other thing is that they would hit my crash bars at full turn lock position. I guess this is not really a problem in that I could still lock my front fork, if I was careful.

I have thought about modifying them with a piece of lexan in some way as I really like the clear deflectors better. But time will tell if I do that or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
eprovenzaon:

I have the chrome lowers on my 2000 1100 vstar classic. My bike has the windshield and bags like a Silverado edition. The lowers are worth it. I added them to my bike very shortly after I got in '03. They really make a difference in wind noise up around your head. I've ridden other bigger bikes with full windshields and even lowers around the floorboards, and found that I could do without the low lowers, but really need the lowers just under the windshield.
jazzer59
Just so I'm hearing right,installing windshield lower will dramatically stop or reduse wind buffetting,if so you may have solved a question I had asked awhile back
I'm running a national cycle chopper screen on a 950

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just so I'm hearing right,installing windshield lower will dramatically stop or reduse wind buffetting,if so you may have solved a question I had asked awhile back
I'm running a national cycle chopper screen on a 950
they worked really well for me, I couldn't stand to go over 65 because my was shaking so much it gave me double vision, first ride out and that was gone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think I'll give it a try.
I have lowered & tilted my screen,which has really helped me getting belted around,haven't ridin much with the screen on because of what it was doing to me.
Had posted a thread about it.
Thanks bro ride safe & stay upright

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think I'll give it a try.
I have lowered & tilted my screen,which has really helped me getting belted around,haven't ridin much with the screen on because of what it was doing to me.
Had posted a thread about it.
Thanks bro ride safe & stay upright
I tried lowering my shield because that is what the dealer told me to do. I knew the air was coming up from under the windshield but lowering it just wasn't enough. I'll also say that I am much warmer on the cooler days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried lowering my shield because that is what the dealer told me to do. I knew the air was coming up from under the windshield but lowering it just wasn't enough. I'll also say that I am much warmer on the cooler days.
Thanks again bro,I'll try experimenting first before I blow my dough,let you know how I get on

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks again bro,I'll try experimenting first before I blow my dough,let you know how I get on
I just saw o n one of the delhi forums somebody made a pair of lovers with lexan and some L brackets. Cant see that costing more than 10 bucks and a few hours time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts