Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the Yamaha replacement factory windshield for a '03 Vstar 1100 is made of? Acrylic or polycarbonate? And best stuff to clean it with? Many thanks for any info you can provide

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
This is what I use on my V Star 650 and Stratoliner windshield, it fills in the sand crazing, and makes water run off when it rains.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
I have only used mild soap and water for cleaning, but that Mequiar's looks nice.

@Tommy B does your owner's manual have any restrictions on cleaning products? My Triumph's does but I haven't looked in the Stratoliner's yet.

I do not know the material make up of the windscreen.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
I was under the impression that Lexan is the most common material used for windshields, which is polycarbonate based. But I have been wrong before....

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
I also use a cleaner wax like @Jspree . Been doing it for years on different windshield. No issues. Rain sheets off and makes bugs wipe off easier. I've taken some really old, scratched windshields and tried to bring back to life (clear and no scratches) with limited success. Best results has been with a headlight restoration kit. Works ok, but not great. Most windshields have a chemically applied protective covering and you end up polishing this off, looks good for a while, but gets funky again pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Lexan is reportedly the most durable less likely to haze. I have a good friend that works at a local Lowes store and he has a bike. Hes always updating me on the best products and materials to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer / '16 Yamaha FZ-09
8 Posts
what does anyone recommend for a yellowed and haze w/s like a bad headlight??? I pic up an 09 Vstar 1300 tonight and the w/s is terribly yellowed and hazed?? I want to buff out. I like the mcguires cleaner but I dont thing that alone will do it... Thanks all

I think mothers or one of them have a plastic polish I will have to look into......Thanks

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
I've used this. Worked ok. The windshield looked better, but not new. Most bike windshields have a chemical coating to resist scratching. It's this layer that discolors over time. You have to buff that layer off. The way I do it, winds off bike and all brackets removed. With electric buffer with pad, work slow. You can burn the plastic it you allow pad to run dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts