Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the screws on the windshield plate has apparently vibrated out over time. Can't seem to find one online or at any local hardware shops. I don't live close to a Yamaha dealer anymore so I hope you guys can assist. Any ideas? OR do any of you have any of these laying around you'd want to sell?

I looked at the OEM section on motosport.com and I didn't see these, so that makes it hard to even have a part # for the screw.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Screws loose

Hopefully someone answers your request because I only have advice.

Have you tried to ask your Yammy service representative for help on this? They might have one that will work in a bin somewhere. Of course that depends how "helpful" they want to be and whether you can ask them.

Yeah, it not those two possibilities, I'd say you may have to do a little digging. Not sure how close to a city you are but, my advice, would be to take one of the other ones off and carry it to a "fastener" supplier (a place that only sells nuts/bolts/fasteners) and find a replacement. The prolum with that is there is usually a minimum purchase price; maybe $5-10.

Or, take one to a home improvement store to get exact measurements and bolt type and look online for a replacement. Unless someone on here has an old windshield that is broken and they held onto it for parts...well good luck whichever direction you go.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully someone answers your request because I only have advice.

Have you tried to ask your Yammy service representative for help on this? They might have one that will work in a bin somewhere. Of course that depends how "helpful" they want to be and whether you can ask them.

Yeah, it not those two possibilities, I'd say you may have to do a little digging. Not sure how close to a city you are but, my advice, would be to take one of the other ones off and carry it to a "fastener" supplier (a place that only sells nuts/bolts/fasteners) and find a replacement. The prolum with that is there is usually a minimum purchase price; maybe $5-10.

Or, take one to a home improvement store to get exact measurements and bolt type and look online for a replacement. Unless someone on here has an old windshield that is broken and they held onto it for parts...well good luck whichever direction you go.

Yeah I've actually done that, at a Fastenal store and Lowes. All I can seem to find are bolts and they look bad compared to the original screws.

I appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look online

Yeah, that really is a VERY obvious spot to not have the exact bolt. If you have found the exact measurements and know what the bolt head is called look up "chrome" bolts online.
I went to one ACE hardware store and they had a whole bunch of chromed nuts, nut caps and bolts and even washers. Since you haven't found the answer you gotta keep on going...oh, what about a bike "junkyard?" Just throwing out ideas...or what about the distant possibility of re-threading the hole if you found a close match?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Did the screw have an acorn nut holding it on? I had one missing when I bought my bike. Not a silverado windscreen, but similar screws. Anyway I got mine from a dealer in the area.(southwestern pa). Name is hillviewmotorsports.com. Dont know what shipping might be but think I only paid like $2.50 for both chrome screw and nut. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My local tru-value has a section of chromed specialty fasteners. If that's not an option I would suggest the nearest bike dealer no matter what brand. Especially a HD dealer if one is close. Its just a chromed phillips head machine screw. I would bet any bike service center has some in a bin somewhere. If it doesn't match exactly, replace them all so they do match. Can't be that expensive. If you did order something online the freight would most likely be more than the items purchased.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I needed a set screw for a passenger floorboard. We have some pretty big hardware stores, but this was just too unique.

I found it on www.boltdepot.com. It was only .15 so I got 4 in case I ever need another one. The shipping was $5.95, but hey I got my screw.

Don

·
Registered
552 Posts
You could try contacting them - Star Motorcycles Customer Relations at (800) 656-7695

I lost one of my mounting bolts for my Memphis Shades fairing, and they replaced at no cost (they even paid for shipping). Would be nice to know if Yamaha stood behind their product as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What Redcat said. I have needed parts that failed or didn't seem to work properly, one because of the Yamaha dealership and 2 because of me. All 3 times new parts were sent. No questions asked, no charge. Memphis Shades is the best in my book.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts