Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your preference or your thought on having a windshield on your V-Star now mine came with one I have the Silverado. but I took it off what's your thought and experience with or without

·
Registered
460 Posts
I love mine on longer rides on 100kph roads but if I am bouncing from coffee shop to coffee shop I tend to leave it at home.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
947 Posts
My 650 did not have one when I bought it and I was happy about it. However, after my first excursion out on the highway to visit family, I knew I'd have to get one. It made all the difference. 80mph without one is a workout and stuff hitting you packs a bit more of a punch at speed.

Got a Memphis Shades quick detachable one. Perfect solution.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
98 Posts
I prefer the look of my bike after I took mine off. It does for sure make riding more tiring not having it installed and bugs/rocks/debris can sting a little...

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
65 Posts
its a total different bike with it off, 10lbs lighter, have you ever driven without the seat, i put a pair of jeans over the module and give it a couple of rips when i get it out of storage. it rides like a different bike also, sitting "in" the bike with a lower center of gravity, fun

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 07 1300 Tourer with a tall windshield. Being 5'4" tall, or short! I found I don't like looking thru the plexi as its not as clear as it was. Ive taken it off, but prefer the wind block now. So it's decision time. Cut it down, maybe purchase a batwing, which then means purchasing a sound system! Its all what you want!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
581 Posts
This bike is my first with a windshield. And I knew I wasn't going to start riding again without one. Too old to fight 75mph wind for hours straight.

But it is a personal choice, which a person will base on how you ride, what weather you are willing to ride through, and to some extend what helmet you will use. I notice those who don't use windshields are more likely to wear a full face shield helmet.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are a few things that determine windshield or not:
1- Age of driver
2- condition of arms and back of the old M/F riding it
3- the amount of time you ride out of town
4- how cool you want to look while bar hopping
5- the amount of time you spend above 70 mph in one sitting
6- the amount of travel in adverse weather ( fair weather rider or biker)

answering these question will determine if you want a windshield on the bike.
If you are old like me , have a bad back, dislike riding in town and all the stop and go, don't bar hop and don't care what anyone thinks, spend hours on the interstate above 70 mph and ride in all weather equals you run a windshield.
If you are young, have a good back and strong arms, spend most of your time on city streets, want to look cool for all your friends, never hit the interstate and only ride when the sun is shining, this equals no windshield for you. 😁

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I second that.
I don't get quite as many bugs in my teeth
I remember one time i had so many bugs on a ride home from work i stopped and used a squeegy at a filling station to clean them off.

I am past looking cool and more into functionality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 650 did not have one when I bought it and I was happy about it. However, after my first excursion out on the highway to visit family, I knew I'd have to get one. It made all the difference. 80mph without one is a workout and stuff hitting you packs a bit more of a punch at speed.

Got a Memphis Shades quick detachable one. Perfect solution.
Can you share a pic of your windshield, I'm looking to get one but I'm picky.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
947 Posts
Dino, these also aren't great, but this is all I've got. I was trading the silver 650 for the red 950. The windscreens are so clean you can hardly see them, but it might help you to know the 950 screen is a yamaha stock screen while the 650's is the aftermarkert Memphis Shades. You might be able to see the difference in shape/size. I think I bought this one: Memphis Slim for 1998 - 2020 XV650 V-Star Custom

1 - 20 of 48 Posts