Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone. So I'm starting a bug collection, and before I just dive at my windshield, can anyone recommend products or share best practices in regards to getting a windshield nice and clean and scratch/distortion free? Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bugs are protein based and usually soaking with soapy water breaks them down fairly quick. I usually dont let mine get too bad to begin with but when I wet wash my bike I usually soak the windshield/fairing first and let it sit for a couple minutes re soaking it occasionally. Its usually the last thing I wash off with a wash mitt. I the use a polish called Wizard's Magic Shine. This stuff is awesome! It leaves everything with a swirl free finish, my bike is black and thats the worst color to keep looking good but I use this on the whole bike, chrome and windshield and everything still looks brand new. There's other stuff out there but usually its over priced soapy water with perfume in it to make it smell different. I saw a product called Hog Wash and they show a guy cleaning off his bike in 100F sunny day (in the direct sunlight) and they claim it won't hurt or stain the paint....no thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna be hard to avoid 100+ days here soon in the desert, but when it gets that hot this guy finds some shade. Although it claims not to ruin paint, not sure I'd bet my paint job on it. I'll look for the wizards stuff. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I use straight "Blue Goop" windshield washer solvent in a spray bottle and have had great luck with it. Seems to dissolve the bugs better than straight water and cleans up without streaking. Definitely can't beat the price.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use bug slide on everything. Once its on most stuff will practically wipe off. Its kind waxes the bike when you apply.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If it is real nasty, I drape an old wet tee shirt or towel on my windshield, let it soak a bit, then wipe it off good. I am a big fan of Lucas Slick Mist, it is a speed wax in a pump spray bottle, has worked great for me. Spray on, wipe off. Does a great job on your whole bike, good shine. Windshield sheads water like a ducks back, makes it very easy to just damp wipe off next time:)
I have not used what the other folks are saying, I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my opine, hope this helps some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
to clean heavy bug guts off my windshield I like NOVUS also for scratched windshields NOVUS makes 2 other cleaners and scratch repair. Novus 2 light scratches and novus 3 heavy scratch . I have brought back a couple of shields using all three

·
Registered
178 Posts
to clean heavy bug guts off my windshield I like NOVUS also for scratched windshields NOVUS makes 2 other cleaners and scratch repair. Novus 2 light scratches and novus 3 heavy scratch . I have brought back a couple of shields using all three
Never use the Novus polish on unscratched windshields. Its like using polish on paint. It will scratch it. Once you use the heavier polish you have to complete all the steps to make it smooth again. It works well but takes a bit of time and effort. If your not scratched the cleaner works well just don't use the polish or scratch remover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lemon Pledge is great. Easy to find, bugs come off easy after first application. Only issue is that is not great at water beading in the rain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When it's love bug season here in FL, I use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
Spray it on & the little fellers just foam up, ready to hose off. I hit a swarm last May & when I got home I could hardly see out of the windshield. Just a few spray & a rinse,,,,done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts