Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Winter Bike Storage.

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Deeksvstarclassic 
#1 ·
It's about that time to clean up the bike and cover it up for the winter. Everyone has
different methods for fuel. Mine is a mixture of whats left in the tank of 93 octane, 2 gal of 116 Race Fuel,
and 1 half can of Sea Foam. What is your's?

#2 ·
I filled up with regular gas. Put in 4oz of seafoam. Ride it for about 1/2 hour and enjoy for the last time. Close the petcock and run carbs out of gas. I know you are injected like my old VTX 1800 just turned it off. Hooked up the battery tender then covered it up. Forgot put rags over the exhaust pipes. Then miss it and wipe tears until St Patrick's Day. Been doing the same thing on my boats for over 30 years with no problems.

#3 · (Edited)
Put some Stabil in the gas. Give her a nice bath and polish. Hook up the battery tender. Carpet under the tires. Put a cap over the exhaust pipe to keep the critters out. Throw the cover over her. Then back in the house and sit in silence reflecting on all the good times we had together over the last few months!

#5 · (Edited)
start putting 4 ounces of seafoam in the tank this time of year

park the bikes by the garage door so I can get them out and ride if we get a January thaw (and salt free streets) anytime during the winter

If I take a ride I top the tank off again

neither bike has any electronics that drain the battery, so I check them with a volt meter once a month, and if they are below 12.4V I hit it with the charger for 30 minutes to get it up over 13.5V

Running the carbs dry is debate-able. If you have seafoam in the tank and run it into the carbs, there is no reason to run the carb dry.

IF you run the carb dry you risk the float bowl oxidizing and the o rings drying out - I keep mine full.

Sometimes winter sets in before you expect it. IF you get caught with the bike sitting for a month before you start adding seafoam to the tank, then drain the tank and put fresh gas and seafoam in. Put the old gas in your car, where it will get used in a week.

Should add: I ride till the temp is below 40F in the fall, usually into december, and get the bikes out ASAP in the spring, so they are only parked maybe 3 months.

#6 ·
Reactions: Keith Post
#7 ·
Kind of the reason I like to add Race Fuel bc the storage life on it is much greater.
The seafoam I add is another protective for the regular fuel that is still in the bike.
That's just what I do. I won't lie I do it also bc I love the smell when I fire it up
every other week. lol

#10 ·
I have a friend who has a 2000 HD sportster who did not ride all year because her tank has rust in it. The person she bought the bike from a few years back had already treated the inside of the tank and re lined it, so she can't go there. A new tank is gosh awful priced. Her bike has a custom paint job which makes it impossible to find one the same color. Even if she finds a used one in decent shape she would have trouble matching the paint.

Gas with ethanol is a curse.

#15 ·
I've been putting 1 oz of Stabil in the tank with each fillup for the past few weeks. Living here north of Denver affords me some beautiful days throughout the winter so I keep it ready for periods of a week or more downtime, always put the tender on it if it sits a week or more.

#16 ·
Topped it up with ethanol free high test (91) and added a couple of ounces of Sta-Bil. Took her for a 1/2 hour ride then parked it on some rubber mats in the corner of the garage. I'll remove the battery before it gets much colder and bring it inside, then throw the cover over her. I put the battery on my trickle charger for 24 hours once a month over the winter. I've done this successfully every year with the 1100 but this one is FI so I'm hoping it works just as well.

I never drained the carbs on my 1100 for the reasons KCW mentioned. It always fired up in the spring, if maybe a little reluctantly at first. The first year I had it I put the battery in once a month and fired her up but I read that just mixes the condensation in the crankcase into the oil. Even though I always do an oil change first thing in the spring, I didn't like the idea of starting it up with water in the oil over the winter. Maybe it's me being overly cautious but other than hearing it running occasionally over the long winter there's no real benefit to doing it.

#18 ·
Was in Walmart last night
wandered over to the Auto dept to get a fresh bottle of Seafoam
They were OUT.

The HORROR!

Sitting and quietly waiting for the end of time...

#21 ·
^ i get the stereo type (well deserved)

but unlike wine, SeaFoam is best poured from a fresh bottle.

I dump the old stuff in my Toyota

Reactions: NorthernRider
#23 ·
What is this getting the bike ready for winter , oh yea that snow thing. That is why I moved south. I ride 12 months out of the year. I have a secret for all of you that live in the great white north. ( I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri) There is a life without snow.... Now I live in Pensacola , Florida... ride baby ride?

Reactions: KCW
#30 ·
That is why I moved south. I ride 12 months out of the year. I have a secret for all of you that live in the great white north. ( I grew up in Kansas City, Missouri) There is a life without snow.... Now I live in Pensacola , Florida... ride baby ride?
Same here, I live in So Cal. I have been riding every opportunity I can. Tomorrow - Saturday - we are expecting 72 degrees temps, sorry do not mean to rub it in. Already told the wife I will be gone at least half of the day tomorrow, at least I am going to put in 100 miles on the bike in case I can't ride on Sunday. I have a few things to do which requires to drive the truck.

#24 ·
^ I lived in W Palm Beach for almost two years back in the late 70s

terrible place to ride a motorcycle, any time of year

Its a viscous cycle - you cant win

I moved back to NY State, can ride from April to December and just about any road except the thruway is an excellent motorbike ride.

I have been to Singapore, its just south of the Equator, 25 square miles in the middle of the south Pacific Ocean

Every day is 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark

The weather is the same nearly 365 days a year

ever see the movie Groundhog Day?

I believe that not being able to ride 3 to 4 months a year, makes it more enjoyable when you can ride.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#26 ·
I park the bike over a piece of carpet that is on top of a sheet of plastic in my garage all year round. Stabil goes in and I top off the tank at the end of November and that's it. If it is >/= 35°F, no snow melt with salt on the roads, not horrifically windy, I will get out and ride a little 20 mile loop in my area. Further if it is relatively warmer.

I have been out at least once every month of the year, but consecutively only twice since I've had the bike. January / February are the months with the least chance of a 'good' day to ride.

#29 ·
That is why i say perfect storm. Has to have rain to wash salt off of roads. Nice long enough to dig it out and be able to put it back away. Highly unlikely. Spring is a lot easier because it is closer to a hose. To rewash it. No salt on my star! I think in 30 years had it once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.