Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of us who live where the climate keeps us from riding during the Winter months we sure have it rough. Okay, I'm just doing some whining and wonderd who else feels the same way. I put my bike away the week before Thanksgiving and that seems like 6 months ago. The last few rides were just too cold to really enjoy, more pain than pleasure. Spring can't get here fast enough in my opinion.

If you live in the south and are riding daily you're lucky! I've got a few more months to go before I can hit he road.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I feel your pain. On Saturday I was excited, thinking "woo hoo, it's January, only 12 (or so) more weeks until riding season!" :rolleyes:

The best I can do is pull the bike out of the garage every week or so and run it for a while. In fact, that's on my agenda for today. Another day of dreaming...:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a different take....living in Texas means year long riding for the most part, but most unfortunately, a broken left left leg has had me sidelined since the first of December with another four weeks to go 'til I can ride again.

So, I can sympathize with those in snowy/cold climates. It sucks to constantly look into the garage and see my ride just sitting there...

·
Registered
404 Posts
The other thing I find myself doing, and I don't know if it makes the itch better or worse, is watching riding videos on youtube from places like the Dragon and Devil's Triangle. Not as good as actually riding, but fun to watch. I even find myself leaning in my chair on the curves :p. My wife just rolls her eyes at me :eek:.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The other thing I find myself doing, and I don't know if it makes the itch better or worse, is watching riding videos on youtube from places like the Dragon and Devil's Triangle. Not as good as actually riding, but fun to watch. I even find myself leaning in my chair on the curves :p. My wife just rolls her eyes at me :eek:.
Wait till she catches you in the garage sitting on the bike making vroom-vroom sounds :eek:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Saturday was a balmy 48 degrees in central CT. Went for a nice long ride.

Heated gloves, two pairs of long johns under jeans, a sock cap and gaiter, and 3-layers under my leather jacket make it not too bad to go for a ride when it gets below 35 degrees. Of course, it takes me ½ an hour to get ready, but it’s better than just sitting on the bike in my garage (Which is what I did yesterday with the rain in the northeast).

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a different take....living in Texas means year long riding for the most part, but most unfortunately, a broken left left leg has had me sidelined since the first of December with another four weeks to go 'til I can ride again.

So, I can sympathize with those in snowy/cold climates. It sucks to constantly look into the garage and see my ride just sitting there...
I feel your pain and know how the rest feel, I spent August through November itching to get back on a bike after I got sideswiped by someone who crossed the yellow line.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Here I sit in Wisconsin with more than 2 feet of snow on the ground, and more falling as I type this! And every day I get home from work and watch my bike come into view as the garage door opens. I find myself watching the roads as I drive around and think to myself, "this road is all clear, I could ride on it!"
Last year we were lucky and had an early spring melt and we were riding the 2nd week of March. It's almost always April before we can ride, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another March ride! Less than 100 days....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well Roxtar, looks like we're neighbors. We live north of you in Balsam Lake. I remember last year well, we bought our bike and rode it home from Rice Lake on March 9th. We can be optimistic but with the way this winter has been, I can't see that happening again this year :(. Although you never know, especially around here ;).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm kinda regretting that I didn't buy winter cycling gear like I had planned. I talked myself into taking a couple of months off instead, but I'm finding that a hard bargain to keep. And btw, we got it real tuff out here in CA - gonna get down to the mid-50's this week!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Man, this winter is killing me. I have to walk past my bike in there garage every day to get in my truck.:(

Even when it does warm up here in Iowa enough to ride we still have all the sand on the road to worry about.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Grew up in Minnesota then moved to Washington state for about 45 years. Did alot of wet riding. I retired and moved to Las Vegas. The first thing I moved down was my bike. Now, my biggest problem is that it gets too hot, sometimes, to ride comfortably. But no complaints here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been trying to talk the wife into relocating,, it's not working so far. Thinking Arizona for the winter months. I rode New Years Eve but, that only made it worse, lol, didn't stay warm long enough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Me and my 2009 950T, a self portrait I took in Florida last week I spent 3 weeks riding around in the Keys. Now I'm back in Ottawa waiting for the snow to melt so that I can have my next ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great picture. We just got another 8 inches of snow in the last few days, YUCK! Well, at least you got to ride a little during Winter. Lucky you!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Great picture. We just got another 8 inches of snow in the last few days, YUCK! Well, at least you got to ride a little during Winter. Lucky you!!
Still digging out in Atlanta, man we are not prepared for snow are we.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Still digging out in Atlanta, man we are not prepared for snow are we.
NPR mentioned earlier in the week that Atlanta only has 8 plows. I suppose that's not too suprising, but must be frustrating when you need them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
NPR mentioned earlier in the week that Atlanta only has 8 plows. I suppose that's not too suprising, but must be frustrating when you need them.
They have 50 or so dump trucks with plows on the front to help out but it's not enough for the whole state.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
57deg sunny and calm in middle America (Oklahoma) wife and I had to pull them bikes out of the shop and burn a tank, man it was good, the bikes were getting cabin fever.:eek:

p.s. got a bottle of wine:D:eek::p

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts