Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know I've intended to eventually build a completely impractical old school hardtail chopper. I've gone to check out many bikes over the months and was utterly surprised at the so called 'excellent' condition motorcycles that were nothing but abused/neglected POS. Well I found my starting block, a 2000 XL1200C. A previous owner has put a lot of money into chrome accessories, even as far as chrome plating the swingarm, and adding what I see as a seriously lame 'screaming wolf' mural on the tank. The worst of it though are the drag pipes. How obnoxious they are and I was seriously embarrassed riding the bike around. I honestly have no idea how people can tolerate the noise of drag/straight pipes (not to mention put up with drag pipe 'performance sag')... it's like going for a walk in the park or heading out for dinner and a movie and shouting at the top of your lungs the entire time. Here are a few seller-taken photos for now.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I watched a guy trying to retrieve his boat at the marina boat ramp. He had his trailer on a mid-size camper and he clearly did not know how to back up a trailer.

The horn wire down the center of the steering column was shorting to ground everytime he turned the wheels more than 20 degrees,

so he is backing up and the trailer goes sideways, he pulls forward backs up again, trailer goes the other way, he pulls forward more... and all the time his own horn is going off randomly, cars are waiting to retrieve their boats, and this guy is getting madder and madder because the trailer wont go backwards down the launch ramp, and his own horn keeps blowing at him.

I always think of him when I hear a biker say loud exhaust is saving his life -yeah... so would blowing your horn all the time while riding.....

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the apes that came with the bike with a set of Biltwell XL Keystone bars I once had on Prunella. It involved modifying the stock HD switches so that I can run non-dimpled handlebars but it was worth the effort to save money and recycle handlebars that I had lying around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts