Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the winter down time to make changes or upgrades on my Vstar 1100 every year. This winter I replaced my stock handlebars with Royal Star Venture bars. I did this because I wanted to keep the look as unchanged as possible so they achieve that and the Royal Star bars have more pullback… just what I need for a short reach. I also took the time and ran all the wires inside the bars, it really cleaned up the look of things. I am also changing my fork oil which is a bit of a project since there are no drain screws so you need a small vacuum pump. And lastly I will be changing my rear shock to a unit with a progressive spring.

Anybody care to share their plans?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am also changing the bars on my 1300. Going with the Royal Star Tour Deluxe bars. Gets me 4" more pull back and the are 2" narrower than stock bars. Should be much more comfortable!

Also have Kuryakyn ISO grips to install, as well as 2" offset mounts for the passenger boards. Hopefully that gets the Mrs. into a more comfortable riding position.

The last thing is crash bars for the factory hard bags. I really like the way they look, and chrome is always good!

Now if spring would just get here....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thinking of moving the controls 4" forward with one of those eBay kits and installing an ORK.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've got the 6" in Stainless. Really like the positioning, however I found mine would flex towards each other (center of bike) when re-positioning while riding. I fabricated a 3/8 Stainless rod to run between them to tie them together and solved the problem. No clearance issues with fender/tire or ORK. I'm about 5'9" 180lbs 33" inseam.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So far I've replaced the tires and reshaped the saddle. The tires, Pirelli MT66, made a big difference. The saddle shape fits better but I have not put in any real hours yet to test the new foam.

Next up may be a throttle lock, but I really only need something like this rarely. Oh yeah, and I want to do some maintenance: fork oil (maybe progressive springs while I'm at it!) and brake fluid.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Slip on Exhausts... passenger floorboards, and possibly relocation brackets to move them forwards and lower. I'm also looking at 3" extensions for my floorboards. I need to make sure they will work with my crash guards. I'm also looking at a set of SENA SMH 10 headsets so momma and I can converse and listen to music in style…

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
LOL Make sure you get one that cuts off her music when the wifey speaks. The problem I had is her music continued while mine shut-off and she didn't have a clue to stop singing. Let's just say that opera singing or even Janice Joplin singing doesn't run in her family.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
LOL Make sure you get one that cuts off her music when the wifey speaks. The problem I had is her music continued while mine shut-off and she didn't have a clue to stop singing. Let's just say that opera singing or even Janice Joplin singing doesn't run in her family.
:D Yeah, can sure identfy with that one! But me and Janice can realy get down on "Piece of my heart" (I think;)) I am lookin to get my air horn finally wired up for the winter project, and just keep er ready for the first decent day to get out:cool: Folks, ride safe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
:D Yeah, can sure identfy with that one! But me and Janice can realy get down on "Piece of my heart" (I think;)) I am lookin to get my air horn finally wired up for the winter project, and just keep er ready for the first decent day to get out:cool: Folks, ride safe.
What make of air horn are you installing? I am looking at a Rivco for my 1100 Star
:cool:

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
just recently cleaned up my rear fender by moving license plate to a lighted side mount from Kuryakyn on my V Star 950 and removed all the crap that's below the rear turn signals: license, plate holder, reflectors, mud flap. had to make a custom mount for the license plate holder since nobody seems to make one for the 950.

bike goes in for a paint job in 3.5 hrs

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
What make of air horn are you installing? I am looking at a Rivco for my 1100 Star
:cool:
Hi Mac, I got a Wolo Bad Boy, mod519. The hype on this one is "twice as loud as stock" I hooked it up remote just to see how it sounded, I was very impressed, much more than twice:D Don't know yet about quality or anything, but the booger is loud! Ride safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
winter projects

I just got my Kuryakyn isso grips and Drag Specialties clamp on foot pegs for the engine guard. now Im waiting on delivery of a Pro One handlebar tacometer and a Speedstar crome air cleaner. I dont know if I can wait until spring to put every thing on, but the temps outside tonight are -29c or -20f.And winter is just getting started. I dont think my little propane heater will be up to the task even in the garage. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Winter project

Just as cold here. My upgrades for this coming season are air horn, turn signal visor, v-rail for my Corbin seat,front fender rail and possibly fender tips and cruise peg mount from Kuryakin. 2.5 month to go.,,,:(

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've got the 6" in Stainless. Really like the positioning, however I found mine would flex towards each other (center of bike) when re-positioning while riding. I fabricated a 3/8 Stainless rod to run between them to tie them together and solved the problem.
Got a few short rides in today with the 4" floorboard extensions. I had them “tipped” all the way back (front end high), but found myself wondering if I should’ve bought the 6” extensions. I also noticed the boards would scrape easier on turns then in the stock configuration.

So, I brought the bike home, and leveled the boards off and adjusted the gear shift lever. Went for another ride and I think I like it like this better. Seems to be more room to stretch out this way, and less likely to scrape when cornering.

Also, I did notice that when you stand up on the boards, they do flex now, so I’ll have to add the stainless rod to tie them together before springtime.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I ordered the rod off Amazon and cut it to fit then threaded the ends.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Round-ASTM-A582-Length/dp/B000FMZ0ZS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1296426095&sr=8-9[/ame]

·
Registered
575 Posts
I ordered the rod off Amazon and cut it to fit then threaded the ends.
Excellent! Thank you. I had been looking around for this based on your earlier comments. Would not have thought about going to Amazon. Mind me asking what size thread you used (I guess I'll be buying a die)?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I used an 8mm die I had in metric kit. The rod is 9.5mm. Wanted to stay all metric. Got the chrome hardware at Ace Hardware. I advise shopping for hardware as the 8mm die will come in both 1.0 and 1.25 per mm thread count. So your choice of die might be based on availability of hardware.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Metric, of course. Great idea. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts