Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be storing my bike soon and Ive read other peoples threads where they turn off the petcok and run the carbs dry. would running the carbs dry harm the electric fuel pump on my 02 Vstar ? my last bike used gravity feed to the carbs so this was never an issue.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Its fairly low pressure, just take lines off and plug with bolts. I don't do that. I usually just put "Stabil" in the full tank and ride it for ten minutes or so and then just turn off petcock. "Stabil" will keep the gas good for 6 months. The full tank keeps condensation from causing rust to a minimum.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
And some more Storage tips. Remove the plugs, put teaspoonful of oil in ea. bore
Lube all cables,pivoting points. Air up tires. Cover muffler outlet. Lift bike so the wheels
are off the ground. Remove the battery.(A lot of work-but for long term-good thing)

Per-MAM-Yamaha

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I've done "Stabil" or "Seafoam" in the full tank of gas over the wintertime. Last few years it's been Seafoam (use as directed).
Battery stays in but on the tender. I disconnect it a few times over the winter just to fire it up and run it at idle for 5 or 10 minutes. Mostly because I miss riding it and hearing it run.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I had the bike up for that long. It drove me crazy not to ride for three days for the rain. I usually bundle up with sweat pants and chaps over my legs and a fleece under a lined leather jacket with a mask for the face and keep on riding.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do if I had the bike up for that long. It drove me crazy not to ride for three days for the rain. I usually bundle up with sweat pants and chaps over my legs and a fleece under a lined leather jacket with a mask for the face and keep on riding.
I wish it was just about the cold. But black ice gets covered with sand and salt. But getting older is causing my minimum tolerable temperature to go up some.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I wish it was just about the cold. But black ice gets covered with sand and salt. But getting older is causing my minimum tolerable temperature to go up some.
That's unfortunate, I was afraid someone would mention that getting older thing. :( I will admit the grey is just starting in my beard and I was hoping it wouldn't slow me down too much.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
That's unfortunate, I was afraid someone would mention that getting older thing. :( I will admit the grey is just starting in my beard and I was hoping it wouldn't slow me down too much.
It looked like it was going to be a constant that the minimum temperature was almost a dead equal with my age. In my teens cold - snow, sleet, didn't matter, as long as my dirt bike would start, I rode it. In my 20's and 30's it was common to just decide if I needed to wear my snowmobile suit on the ride to work. In my 50's now and I can handle any temperature in the 40's MINIMUM. Colder than that and I take the SD-F350.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Makes me glad to live in the south, we only have about 3 weeks of weather below 40. Come on down, we'll make room. We don't even have to worry about a double dip recession, we haven't recovered from the first one yet.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I'll visit but I need my winters. This is the dull period. Too cold to ride but waiting for snow and then it's time to fire up the sleds.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Putting my baby away tomorrow for the long cold Buffalo winter. Got some Sta-Bil, and a battery tender, gonna roll her onto some wood, cover the exhust with some screen, and put the cover on her, then wait for Spring.:(

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Makes me glad to live in the south, we only have about 3 weeks of weather below 40. Come on down, we'll make room. We don't even have to worry about a double dip recession, we haven't recovered from the first one yet.
Hi Tony, Sugar Bear says yeah,;):D(love the southland) Sorry I don't live where it's warmer:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
stored bike

Well I appreciate the responses. I can't stay away from a bike that long either but this is a second bike for a second home. We live in Mx. and only get to Tx. every 2, 3-6 months so I've got to keep it ready to ride when I do get there. Winter's in Mx are a lot moe conducive to riding than variable Tx. weather, anyway.

Good advice.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi Tony, Sugar Bear says yeah,;):D(love the southland) Sorry I don't live where it's warmer:)
And now God's laughing at me. Had to ride home in the snow flurries today, I was bundled up pretty goo so only my hands got cold. Freeze warning tonight and tomorrow. LOL. Maybe we can make an attachment to the motorcycle to turn it into a snowmobile, that way you can use it all year long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all!

I ride a 2009 V-Star 950 and live in the northeast where the daytime temps have been around mid-50s so I’m still riding a few days of the week. My concern is the overnight temperature lows which drop to around mid-30s. How much of a drain is it on my battery?

I’ve recently read an article where the author leaves his battery tender leads connected for easy recharging without removing the battery from the bike. I’m not technically savvy but I do have the battery tender and would like to do this too but the article wasn’t very clear on how this is done. Is it simply leaving the positive and negative battery tender leads connected to the battery? Any clarification would be appreciated.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
....... Is it simply leaving the positive and negative battery tender leads connected to the battery? Any clarification would be appreciated.
I live in N.E. also and have put the bike battery on a tender for many seasons. If you find the right type of harness, like one that has a cap over the "live" connectors, you just connect the other ends directly to your battery and leave the capped end someplace accessible. My Stratoliner has two such capped connections now, one for my heated glove harness and one for the battery tender. The one for the battery tender came pre-installed on the bike from the factory. If my gloves and tender had the same connector, I could have used one for both. But if I ever have to replace my gloves, I'll look for a connection type that matches the tender.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I live in N.E. also and have put the bike battery on a tender for many seasons. If you find the right type of harness, like one that has a cap over the "live" connectors, you just connect the other ends directly to your battery and leave the capped end someplace accessible. My Stratoliner has two such capped connections now, one for my heated glove harness and one for the battery tender. The one for the battery tender came pre-installed on the bike from the factory. If my gloves and tender had the same connector, I could have used one for both. But if I ever have to replace my gloves, I'll look for a connection type that matches the tender.
Hello and welcome. In my own experience I have taken the ends off the connecting wire and attached round connectors that the bolt used to connect the battery to the bike can go through and added that to the battery. I threaded the battery tender end out near the left hand cover on the bike so it is almost unoticed. If you are not all that handy with electrical wiring, I have seen the wires pre-made at Radio Shack. In fact my battery tender was so old I had to cut the ends off the tender and the connector and attach new connectors to both. Afterwards I used another end and the "jaw" connectors to make a set of jumper cables for the motorcycle, even had to use them once when a cell in the battery went dead and there was no convenient hill.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I just installed a power port (cig lighter) connected to batt direct (fused) then I can run my accessories from it. I then installed the plug on my tender wires and just plug it in. Got a weatherproof stainless one with a rubber cap. Dual purpose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts