Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a stupid local law, you can only drive a motorcycle from November to March if it has "winter" tires on, despite the fact that most of the time the roads are fine. Sure, you wouldn't drive such bike on snow anyway, but I haven't had any problems even with "summer" tires during the nicer days. Has anybody had luck finding "winter" tires for their VStar? Tires must have "M+S" (or equivalent) marking. The closest I've found is Continental TKC-70 (Continental Motorcycle Tires TKC 70), but these are enduro tires and slightly different in size. What would it take to modify such tires to fit XVS1100 2007 (standard tires are 130/90B16, 170/80B15)?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
According to the motorcycle ratings listed here...

Motorcycle Tire Size Conversion, Speed Ratings, Load Ratings Chart - webBikeWorld

M = motorcycle...which would cover ANY tire manufactured to be run on a motorcycle
S= speed rating of 112 MPH.

neither rating has a thing to do with winter or seasonal.... I'm sure if your speed rating was higher they wouldn't exactly throw you into prison.....just don't go lower..

·
Registered
203 Posts
The m+s he's refering to is mud and snow. Like passenger car tires, most allseasons tend to have m+s on the sidewall as society has gotten away from running traditional snow/winter tires. Tho i do run snow tires on my accord. I have heard of certain places in canada requiring snow tires for winter just due to the harsh winter. I know here in pa people will run bald slicks in the winter then cry bad roads when they wreck..allthough u can get a ticket for operating on faulty equipment in that case. What do other people in ur area run on their bikes if riding in winter? Me personally once it's prepped and stored for winter it stays that way until spring.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
the original post got me wondering about MC snow tires so: google

interesting stuff out there, and ditto on Canadian laws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts