Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This will be my first winter as a V Star owner, and here in Montreal things are about to get all kinds of cold in all kinds of a hurry. Can you let me know exactly what I need to do in order to winterize my bike? She'll be stored in an unheated garage.

Many thanks and high fives,

-J

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
one ounce of Seafoam for each US gallon of gas the tank will hold, and fill the tank
then run the engine for a few minutes to get the mixture into the float bowls or injectors...

take the battery out an keep it indoors, and if possible trickle charge it at least once a month

some people like to get the tires off the floor, or you can inch the bike forward every few weeks so the tires dont sit on the same spot all winter

put a night light in your garage so the bike wont have nightmares

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha, thanks both =)

Sta-Bil it is - I'll get some of that in the tank and put the old girl to bed.

I bought a non-starting '81 CB750 a few weeks back so the two can keep each company all winter. I'll be in there a lot working on the Honda, do I got some plans for her...

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
Jimbonaut, you sound like me with my non-running 74' CB 550 Four.
You got some great advice, only thing I'd add is if you keep your tires on the floor of your garage, I'd recommend placing a rubber mat or old piece of carpet under your tires. Moving them forward every few weeks really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
"Sea Foam Motor Treatment dissolves and cleans fuel and oil residues and deposits, stabilizes fuel, controls moisture, and lubricates upper cylinders. "

I dont know why some people think seafoam is not a fuel stablizer?

goto their website

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I do the Sta-Bil, and hook up a battery tender. Also lube moving parts with WD-40. Just sprayed clutch cable with a synthetic chain lube. Etc. - My bike is dirty/dusty right now. Just got real cold here. Tempted to clean and protect the chrome before real cold sets in. But whatever.

I'll be the one having nightmares if I go without riding my bike for the whole winter.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
For me if you have a carb I would run the sea foam/sta-bil or BG Products treatment.. Whatever you prefer.. like they said. I would take it for a ride around the block to be honest. Mix it up really well. Then when you get home shut off the fuel shut off and run the fuel out of the carbs. No fuel = no chance of gelling up. I do this with all my power equipment and boat(s) in the winter. NEVER had a problem. I had to use my generator for the first time in 6 or 7 years. It started right up with the 6 or 7 year old fuel in it and did not miss a lick. If it is fuel infected then do the same thing with your favorite additive. Since FI does not have a fuel shut off I would recommend starting the bike every 2 weeks for a full warm up cycle. you NEVER EVER want to let fuel sit on your injectors. Even if treated. Every thing else said here is PERFECT. If your bike is water cooled make sure the mixture is good down to whatever your winters get to there. Be sure to not let your tires flat spot. I also change the oil in my 4 stroke stuff to a lighter weight oil. So when I do the warm up cycles it gets up to the top of the engine faster in the cold weather. You do not have to change the filter as you will not be doing full out riding. Then when riding weather is upon you do a full change to what ever oil is recommended for your bike and have fun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent information one and all, thanks very much. I'll see what I can get my hands on, Sta-Bil or Seafoam, and will follow your recommendations. It's gonna suck putting her into hibernation for the winter - moments like this I wonder why I ever left Ibiza...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, one more question - can anyone confirm the V Star 1100 Custom has a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons (+/- 17 litres)? Should I fill the bike up first, then add the Sta-Bil, then take it for a ride to mix everything up? Then if I understand correctly I should leave the bike idling (5 mins or so) with the fuel off to drain the carbs?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Usually if you are putting anything in tank, pour it in first then fill the tank up.

The tank does not need to be empty when you start.

The gas flowing into the tank will stir up whatever you just poured in.

And I keep my carbs full.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The reason I like Seafoam is it will stabilize gas in the tank, and it also cleans carbs and injectors.

between my MC and lawn mower I would only need 5 of the 16 oz in the bottle each winter for the gas in the tanks. I usually end up putting the rest of it in my cars if they are running a bit off, or if the lawn mower starts running a bit rough in the middle of summer.

A 16 oz bottle of stabilizer would spend at least 2 years on my garage shelf.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sta-bil it is. Picked up a bottle, poured in the specified amount, filled up the tank, and went for a ride in the snow to mix everything up. That was a first. And a last.

Do you leave the petcock on or move it into the off position? Moved mine into the off position. Bike looks comfy under it's winter cover, and I'll be keeping it company while I work on my CB750.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Seafoam is great...but Sta-Bil does the same thing as far as keeping fuel fresh for about half the price. That's the way I usually go. But either will work. I have never drained the carbs either....and never had an issue. Always ethanol enhanced fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For the 43 years of my life I have never put any type of stabilizer in any of my engines for the winter. Nothing in my scooter when I had it, nothing in my Honda when I had it, and nothing in any of my lawn equipment. Every spring I go out and everything starts up just fine and runs great. It's nothing against it, but I never saw my dad doing any of that and I got doing nothing from him. I bought my own lawn mower and equipment 10yrs ago when I bought my house and I still have the same equipment and it all runs fine.

Nothing against all that you guys are doing as far as adding stabilizer, just stating my experience.

Matt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts