41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
718 Posts
Hit your local NAPA for a price check. We used to sell the heck out of those, not sure if it was just because we were the only ones that had it or we were cheapest. We sold GE brand under a NAPA label. You might also check Tractor Supply for price.
I use two of the NAPA amber passing lamps. I don't drive alot at night so I don't need the extra light on the road. The amber is much more visible during the day. I am a big fan of NAPA products. Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hit your local NAPA for a price check. We used to sell the heck out of those, not sure if it was just because we were the only ones that had it or we were cheapest. We sold GE brand under a NAPA label. You might also check Tractor Supply for price.
Nothing even close at my local NAPA store. Not surprising considering we're smallest capital city in the US (pop < 7000).

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,858 Posts
Nothing even close at my local NAPA store. Not surprising considering we're smallest capital city in the US (pop < 7000).
7000? The subdivision I live in is that big.

Reactions: Lorax

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You are correct, when I opened the Amazon link it took me to a bulb I had previously looked up. When I closed that tab and opened the one of yours it brought up the bulb you are talking about.
Hm.... one thing that's a tad confusing is the listing shows these are rated for 30v - obviously not going to work. But it also says: LED PAR36,15W 10-30VDC - which I read as it would work with 12v - but I assume they wouldn't be as bright?

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
718 Posts
Hm.... one thing that's a tad confusing is the listing shows these are rated for 30v - obviously not going to work. But it also says: LED PAR36,15W 10-30VDC - which I read as it would work with 12v - but I assume they wouldn't be as bright?
I am pretty sure that is the driver circuit that they are talking about. Intensity would be the same for any of the voltages. Driver will handle those voltages.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
7000? The subdivision I live in is that big.
3,212 population as of the 2010 census. Around 2,000 when I moved here. Vinton, La.

Vinton High School serves 271 students in grades 9-12.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
718 Posts
I am pretty sure that is the driver circuit that they are talking about. Intensity would be the same for any of the voltages. Driver will handle those voltages.
Alot of cheap Christmas LED lights will not use a driver circuit and just use a resistor and run them AC. You can tell they kind of shimmer because they are only on half the time, 60 cycle thing and being a diode.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got the VStar lights aaaaannnnndddd they're too small. Slip right though the front lens holder!

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Let me guess you have a Classic and they are 7" for a Custom 😎

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Nope - just about 1/2" difference - smaller. Diameter that is.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Look at the part #'s , then Google those numbers. I was changing front brake pads on the 650 ( Sunday ) , after a good fight on one of the bolts I found Amazon sent me the front pads for an 1100, luckily for me I had good pads on the 650 we got for $200 that we used to change out the tins on the old 650.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well apparently PAR36 isn't necessarily 4.5". The original lights are 4.875 and the new ones are 4.5. I'm wondering if I mickey mouse something to hold the new bulbs in place. Not sure what yet but I'm ruminating on it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well apparently PAR36 isn't necessarily 4.5". The original lights are 4.875 and the new ones are 4.5. I'm wondering if I mickey mouse something to hold the new bulbs in place. Not sure what yet but I'm ruminating on it.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, it popped into my head when I read your post. How about some of that sponge rubber weather stripping they use on doors? If I remember correctly, its sticky on one side. You could wrap it around the light, sorta like a gasket. Fit it in, then trim it.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
@CantRider I was wondering the same thing. Heading to the hardware store this afternoon to see what I can come up with.

On another note - since these LEDs have two connections and the old bulbs only had one, I assume I can just run one of the connections to some part of the assembly as ground? There was no wiring diagram and they can be used for both AC and DC pwr sources.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts