Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
@CantRider I was wondering the same thing. Heading to the hardware store this afternoon to see what I can come up with.

On another note - since these LEDs have two connections and the old bulbs only had one, I assume I can just run one of the connections to some part of the assembly as ground? There was no wiring diagram and they can be used for both AC and DC pwr sources.
If I'm understanding correctly, then the old lights used the metal assembly as ground. With the new lights, are there any markings on the terminal for + or -? If they can be used with either AC or DC, then you probably wont see any. Diodes do have a polarity to them, but in this case, it sounds as if that is accounted for in the internal circuitry of the light. Try what @scootersage said. Hook them up to a battery, in this case, not to see the brightness but instead to verify the + and - connections. Make note of which light terminal is connected to which battery terminal, when it lights up. If it only turns on one way, then the - terminal will need to be connected to the metal frame/housing. If it lights no matter which light terminal is connected to the +/- terminals of the battery, then it won't matter how you connect the power. In either case, it sounds like you will need to run a wire from one of the light terminals to the metal housing.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Have you just hooked them to a battery to see how they look? Bet they are bright.
Not yet. Twas a tad worried that I'd blow them up!

Think I have a solution to holding them in place. Stay tuned. Raw stock ordered. Hopefully will finish this project next week... (famous last words).

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So - I'm just about to dig into the wiring now that all of the painting and misc rusted nuts, bolts and screws have been exchanged for SS replacements. I think I have all of the wiring figured out (see my rough diagram below) EXCEPT the new indicators. They came with odd color wires. As near as I can tell, Blue (with red stripe) is ground (soldered to the can itself). The brown and green go to socket contacts. Does it matter which way these two are wired?? My memory is it shouldn't matter at all but...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Does it matter which way these two are wired?? My memory is it shouldn't matter at all but...
LEDs might be picky. Depends if they have a circuit board of their own built in.

Reactions: Lorax

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
734 Posts
If I was unsure I think I would isolate everything and check them with my meter with the lights on if that is something you can do at this point.

·
Registered
682 Posts
For your indicators. Obviously, you've found the ground. The other two. Can you see two filiments within the bulb? To me, it sounds like one wire is a turn signal (flasher) The other is a running light. I'm not entirely sure about this, but it probably won't matter which is which SO LONG AS each bulb is connected the same. I'm guessing that if you cross them up, then your flasher won't work or both will come on no matter which direction you press the signal. You can probably use your meter to discover which wire receives voltage when the turn signal is turned on and which has the voltage all the time.

Reactions: Lorax

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
734 Posts
For your indicators. Obviously, you've found the ground. The other two. Can you see two filiments within the bulb? To me, it sounds like one wire is a turn signal (flasher) The other is a running light. I'm not entirely sure about this, but it probably won't matter which is which SO LONG AS each bulb is connected the same. I'm guessing that if you cross them up, then your flasher won't work or both will come on no matter which direction you press the signal. You can probably use your meter to discover which wire receives voltage when the turn signal is turned on and which has the voltage all the time.
one filament will be of higher wattage as a rule on any I have seen maybe check by just hooking up and looking at the brightness if all else fails. Usually signal is brighter.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts