Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 12 950T and want to add some additional lights to my h'way bar. Should I wire through a switch or to a wire that is only powered when key is on?. Either way, what color wire should I use and can I splice in under my seat?. In case you haven't guessed my gr8 a androids know m o re about this sh_t than I do. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You'll want to add in a relay with switch. Pick a circuit that is "on" only when key is turned on.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
I believe that there is a accessory connector in the headlight housing for auxiliary lights and you can get the mounting hardware with light bar and bracket to fit your machine. If I was adding highway lights that is what I would use. Just a thought. Augie

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wiring driving lights

I have tried wiring a couple of different ways for lights
but have found the most foolproof was to tap into the ignition switch wire. That way, when the key is off, so are the lights. With a switch, it can, unfortunately be left on (which I've done) and left me with NO POWER!! Just sayin............:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Splice it right into the Aux Wire that is in the headlight bucket. (just added mine this winter) No need for a relay, already taken care of by the factory.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Splice it right into the Aux Wire that is in the headlight bucket. (just added mine this winter) No need for a relay, already taken care of by the factory.
Thanks for the input. Did you tap into the existing wires and were they hard to identify? Or did you use a plug inconnector to match existing plug? Thanks again

·
Banned
137 Posts
Mine were wired in the headlight but they would come on with the low beams if the switch was on, so two switches. I wanted mine on with either high or low beam so I went straight to the battery and wish I would have found a keyed wire. I like them on at night on both high or low. Jim MN

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was the only plug there unconnected. It's white and looks like a double bullet plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts