Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Did you see Springer's post of the hornets nest, on another subject? Anyway oil, filters and the like are hot ones sometimes.

Point here is, to me no one puts out a better filter than Wix. Short story here, a parts store guy I know always sold Fram as his main brand, a Wix salesman came in and wanted to show him the difference and wanted to cut a Fram in two, parts guy says ok, if you buy it, Wix guy says ok. He cut the Fram, cut his own Wix.

Parts store guy no longer sells Fram, Wix is his main brand. FYI, Wix does make others under a store or other brand name, still Wix. Only problem I found, I could not find what I needed in crome:( Ride safe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, Sugar Bear i'am the same way. wix all the way in everything . been around heavy equipment and farm machinery my whole life. and these filters can handle alot of heat with out bypassing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a car quest (wix) coming in the morning and I picked up 4 liters of RP max cycle 20w50.
Apparently car quest and nappa gold are wix filters

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i buy the nappa gold [ little cheaper cost] but i will check into the car quest and see if thats any cheaper. $8.50 is what i was giving for my m50

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im just curious as to what determines a good filter in your opinions? Long term use with no issues (knowledge of issues).

I always wander what is discussed when I hear the "a rep cut up a filter and showed me the stuff inside" story. What was so great that you saw? All (most) spin on filters are a housing, media, centertube and some adhesive (most likely plastisol).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im just curious as to what determines a good filter in your opinions? Long term use with no issues (knowledge of issues).

I always wander what is discussed when I hear the "a rep cut up a filter and showed me the stuff inside" story. What was so great that you saw? All (most) spin on filters are a housing, media, centertube and some adhesive (most likely plastisol).
This is an Issue of Study on many Auto and Bike Forums... Here is a link to one of the Studies I found.

As far a WIX Filters go I have used them in the past in my other bikes with no problems...

From what I've read Purolator One are one of the best and not over priced. I will have to look up the model that fits Stratoliner...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Skip the Fram and use almost anything else.
Fram is a name brand and that is about it.

Yes, sad but true, it is a shame Fram pours their money into an advertiseing campain instead of building a quality filter:( They are a cats ass on the advertise end, but their filters suck(imhfo). I totally agree, alarmguy. Lots of quality out there, just not Fram. Ride safe:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts