Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed in to work this morning and noticed that my turn signals weren't working. The lights on the gauge panel weren't doing anything either. I played with the switch for a minute and got one quick flash out of it.
First thought was that I had been caught in the rain a few times lately...so would need to check that. Made it home and checked the fuses. Easy thing first after all...still nothing. I decided to go ahead and pull the control apart and see how things looked in there.
Somewhere between the wiggling things around and cleaning the contacts I was able to get the signals working again.

So nothing crazy, but just something to have in the back of your head if your turn signals stop working.

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
When ever I work on any electrical part on the bike I put some dielectric grease on the connection. I learned years ago if you are going to get your bike wet that the connections will corrode. Lights, sockets, switches, contacts, good for any of it. Buy a big container, lasts a long time, less than $10.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, I just covered all my car battery terminals and connectors with dielectric grease this week. The car would start fine, but the dash kept flashing the battery and brake lights, and the radio kept randomly going off.
Problem seems to be solved now, after lots of sanding, dielectric grease, and battery terminal sealer.

But if none of your turn signals worked, it doesn't sound like it was a turn signal light that is the issue. Would have to be the indicator bulb or the flashing unit, or possible the handlebar switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts