Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 V-Star 1100 Classic, has been running and starting fine. Went to start it a couple days ago and it would turn over once and then the solenoid would click like the battery was dead. I have since charged the battery and load tested it with a multimeter, and even under the starter load it is staying above 10v. Do any of you fine folk have any ideas for me please?

Also: very new to the forums so if I'm doing something wrong please forgive me and let me know!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would start by checking electrical connections. Battery terminals tight etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every connection I see is nice and tight. Traced as much wire as I could see.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would remove the battery and take it to a local auto shop or battery store, and have them load test it. Removing the battery may also reveal corrosion on the posts or cables.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,398 Posts
+2 on bad battery. Try jumping it. If it starts and runs after disconnecting the jumper cables then battery low and needs charging or its bad. Mine always go out without any notice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery has tested good, all connections solid. Scratching head... May have over filled the oil by a small amount, this couldn't be caused by that could it?

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Did you check the connections at the starter end ?

Like others said try jump starting with another battery hooked up.

If it starts then you know it's for sure the battery.

I just started having similar issues with mine, New battery and tender and all is well again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With my old battery hooked up tried to jump it with the car, got the same results (crank once, solenoid click, crank once, clicks again, etc). All connections I can find are all tight. Light is strong, even under the load,

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Did you inspect the individual connectors, or did you just check if they were tight?
If the latter, do check for corrosion, and if you find any corroded connectors, replace them - that may do the trick.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
when was the last time you cleaned the ground cable where it attaches under the bike?

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I bet it's the starter Relay....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've replaced the relay/solenoid with success! Test ride found my starter engaged during the ride, had to pull the battery cable to kill it. Will get yet another to remedy this new issue...

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
So it could have damaged the starter when the other relay was acting up.

Double check all the connections for shorts.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Good point, that would help rule out anything with the starter.

And then you know it's got to be in the wiring or components.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
So it could have damaged the starter when the other relay was acting up.

Double check all the connections for shorts.
The starter is constantly engaged anyway. It could have got hot enough to melt the grease out though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found this thread by searching for "Won't start"....

I'm struggling with a Road Star, so maybe I should post there, too. I was having some slow starts and then it went kaput. When I go to start it up, it clicks once. I guess the solenoid is good. I replaced the battery(Even though it was new, it wasn't Interstate), and then jumped the starter. It started up when I did that. I read something about a bolt coming lose if the engine backfires and releases the friction that holds the bolt.

Sorry of the thread jack, but I figured it might help others in the future if they can find info in one thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alabaster - Are you sure it's not the solenoid? It ended up being my problem, according to the Clymer manual it's the only component between the battery and the starter. (not sure if it's the same with the Road Star) Honestly, it's about $10 on eBay, so I'd give it a whirl.

The clicking is the solenoid. If the battery directly to the starter works, then the ground is good and the juice coming from the battery is good. I'd put money on the solenoid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts