Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 yamaha vstar 1100 custom. My neutral light switch was just replaced yet I am still not able to start the bike with the kickstand down and in neutral unless I have the clutch pulled in. As soon as I release the clutch it kills the bike. The kickstand switch is not the issue, anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?

·
Registered
510 Posts
2005 yamaha vstar 1100 custom. My neutral light switch was just replaced yet I am still not able to start the bike with the kickstand down and in neutral unless I have the clutch pulled in. As soon as I release the clutch it kills the bike. The kickstand switch is not the issue, anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?
So you replaced the neutral light switch and the kickstand switch? If yes then there is a possible loose connection on the kickstand switch wire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not replace the kickstand switch, there was nothing wrong with the connections on that or the neutral light switch.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How are you sure that the kickstand switch is not the culprit? Sounds like it may in fact be the issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all the connections and grounds and tested all of them for continuity and everything is functioning properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kickstand down, clutch not pulled, in neutral, won't start. The starter will turn but the bike won't fire up

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So I ask this again because I am trying to help find d solution. Read above
when the transmission's in neutral the neutral switch will give the main relay the needed ground to function, the side stand switch does the same thing when the stand's up the switch closes and grounds the main relay, also the clutch switch closes when the clutch is pulled and grounds the main relay. the side stand switch, the clutch switch all ground the same pin on the relay ( the blue/yellow pin wire) the neutral switch grounds a separate ground pin on the relay and also grounds the neutral indicator light, and also the ecm. if you manually ground the relay at sky blue pin wire which is the neutral switch wire you will disable all safety devices, except the engine kill switch that supplies power to the main relay and ignition coils

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Kickstand down, clutch not pulled, in neutral, won't start. The starter will turn but the bike won't fire up
check the black/red wire at the coils should have constant 12 volts if not the kill switch or key switch isn't closing, the neutral switch not only grounds the main relay it grounds the ecm also, jump the neutral switch wire to ground to check it. you can also ground the neutral switch wire at the main relay so you don't have to remove the side covers it a light blue wire aqua marine kinda looks to me

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No it kills it as I'm letting the clutch out if the kickstand is down
it's supposed to shut off with stand down and the clutch out if its in gear if it's in neutral and does that then the neutral switch or the wiring from the switch is bad, the switch grounds two things the main relay and one of the grounds to the ecm, i think it grounds the carb heater circuit through the ecm, but i cant say for sure because there's no schematic for the ecm anywhere. the way your explaining it the neutral switch is not functioning properly even though it tests good. like i said manually ground the wire to the frame to really check it because that's exactly what the switch does when the transmission is in neutral. when that wire is grounded it has to ground the relay and the ecm both, so after it's manually grounded check both those pins for ground, put your test light to hot side of the battery and put the probe to pins that are supposed to be grounded. if they are truly grounded it will light up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts