Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had something weird happen to my TC. Took it to a local MC shop for an oil change. The bay they put it in was surrounded with all kinds of electrical equipment. When they were done, they tried to start the bike with no luck (I check them to make sure they were using the proper procedure). After hours on the phone with Yamaha (who was less than helpful) I had them push the bike outside away from everything and let it set for about .5 hours. I then tried to start it and it fired righ up. I think all the electrical sources interfered with the fob's signal.

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So you're thinking it was some inadvertent ECM? LOL

This is an interesting point. I wonder if it has a ring of truth to it...….

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
what kind of equipment?

there are some weird things with key fobs - if you have two on the same key chain (or two of the same key with the embedded chip) sometimes a vehicle wont start

or maybe they had several other bikes nearby with the keyfobs on them?

ElectroMagnetic Interference (EMI or EMC) is a real thing. Engineers have to go to great lengths sometimes to make sure a new electronic device is not overly susceptible to interference from other electronics, and that it is not transmitting energy that will screw up other equipment.

BTW, do you know why older microwave ovens were a problem for people with pacemakers? On most of the older ones, if you opened the door while it was cooking food, it took a second for the microwave circuit to shut down, so when you opened the door you flooded the room (and yourself) with 1000W of microwave energy for a second.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They tried to start it? Does that mean it cranked but would not start? Lights would come on when the switch was turned?
No, nothing. Once you activated the fob and push the button in, you could rotate the switch but nothing would happen. Once outside, the same procedure would allow you to start the bike (like it is supposed to). i don't know what caused it but I do know once it was clear of all the electronics it worked.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
This is an interesting thread, I googled around a bit to see what could block or mask a key fob from working.

Car thieves are using jammers happily supplied by china, to jam key fobs. You pull your car into the gas station and run in to get something, pushing the button to lock the door. If the jammer is on the door does not lock. They turn the jammer off, get in your car and take your stuff.

With some cars if you are still close enough the car will start up, and they drive off with your car.

So back to the case in point, its possible someone had one of these key fob jammers at the bike shop, hoping to get into someones car that had been prevented from engaging the door lock, or had some other plan in mind.

Personally Ive never liked key fobs or car security systems. I would rather lock the door by pushing the button as I get out, and open it with a key, than to set an alarm that disables the engine. If the $3 battery in the fob goes dead, or you drop it in a puddle, now your perfectly fine vehicle will not start and you are stranded, because the weakest link failed.

I tell people I dont think its necessary to disturb the electromagnetic ionosphere and beam radio energy out into the universe, just to open my car door.

Everything should be as simple as possible.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is an interesting thread, I googled around a bit to see what could block or mask a key fob from working.

Car thieves are using jammers happily supplied by china, to jam key fobs. You pull your car into the gas station and run in to get something, pushing the button to lock the door. If the jammer is on the door does not lock. They turn the jammer off, get in your car and take your stuff.

With some cars if you are still close enough the car will start up, and they drive off with your car.

So back to the case in point, its possible someone had one of these key fob jammers at the bike shop, hoping to get into someones car that had been prevented from engaging the door lock, or had some other plan in mind.

Personally Ive never liked key fobs or car security systems. I would rather lock the door by pushing the button as I get out, and open it with a key, than to set an alarm that disables the engine. If the $3 battery in the fob goes dead, or you drop it in a puddle, now your perfectly fine vehicle will not start and you are stranded, because the weakest link failed.

I tell people I dont think its necessary to disturb the electromagnetic ionosphere and beam radio energy out into the universe, just to open my car door.

Everything should be as simple as possible.
While I agree with you, you should practice and learn the emergency start process at home instead of trying to figure it out on the side of the road. It is simple, easy and quick.

https://youtu.be/nBb-3d3Ypcc

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
its great that yamaha put that on these bikes

some vehicles do not have an emergency start procedure

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was making a joke about ECM since crossbowme's pic is of a military chopper I used the military term of ECM (Electronic Counter Measure), not to be confused with KCW's mention of EMC. ECM is intentional whereas any EMC in this context would be unintentional.

Still, the possible conflict of interference from the electronic-rich environment within the bay is interesting and simply begs for experimentation. If nothing else the motorcycle shop needs to know the deal.

I'd like to take the bike back and see if it does it again as well as any other bike with a key fob.

Very good video about emergency starting. I did not know that.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I missed the ECM, crossbow was talking about interference and thats what my mind saw in your post too

so... what he needs is a ECCM antijam keybob that will work in a hostile environment...

dragging a spectrum analyzer and UHF antenna into the shop's bay would show you what frequencies are bouncing around in there

wonder if this happens to them frequently, or maybe most bikes dont have keyfobs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts