Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got off this Tuesday, with nothing but plans to ride the bike, I knew I had to go to work Wed for the managers appreciation banquet, and I did. 92 degrees, and clear it was awesome riding weather. On the way home, I am doing roughly 55mph, and a 16 yr old girl is texting and pulls out in front of me, She pulled out so late, I almost broad sided her van, I locked up the rear to try and save it, after realizing it wasn't stopping, I locked up the front hoping for a dump, I dumped it on its left side, and rode it down, rear of the bike started to come up, ejecting me about 25 yards or so from where it went down, bike went to a skid about 75 yards down the highway into a barbed wire fence. I have been told I am lucky to be alive. After laying down for about 10 minutes just trying to realize what the hell happened, I get up, look at the girl, and let my adrenaline take over, luckily a fellow club stops, helps me out of the ditch, calls 911, and started bandaging me up before the EMTS came. I was wearing a helmet luckily, jeans, and Nike Shox, No holes in my clothes, and one of my shoes/ socks is worn to nothing. Dont get me wrong there were some pretty thin spots. I declined the ambulance and I had my wife take me to ST. Lukes ER in Lees, Summit, road rash on my entire back, inside and out side of both arms, legs, and one foot, my head remained safe, surprisingly from a half shell helmet. Bike started right back up although it was white smoke, and my buddy rode it out of the ditch, front forks got bent, and the obvious damage elsewhere. With only 11,000 mi on the bike, I am hoping for a rebuild, and coverage of all of my accessories, the trooper ripped her ass right there on the side of the road, really letting her have it, about 15 pergoset later, and a few dressing changes I cant remind you guys how alert we need to be, I am constantly looking for stupid drivers, but in this case, there wasn't much I could do. The prosecuter is charging her with attempted manslaughter, without me even saying anything, The troopers, EMS, fellow bikers and everyone else who stopped I cant thank enough, I am going in today for X rays on both elbows, arms and hands. Please guys, ride safe, I have never hugged my wife and daughter so tight in my life, as I did when I got home, all it takes is one dumb xxxxx to ruin someones life. I have been asked by everyone, if I am getting back on, I tell them, whats the point in living if you feel like your dead? 2 wheels move the soul. Trooper personally came and saw me at the ER 45 mins away from the scene after he got off, to check on me, I hear people bash these guys all the time, luckily I got the one who was a pretty damn good guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad your ok, considering. Too bad about the bike, hope the money isn't an issue getting it all replaced. I was sleeping in a car once when the girl driving us went into oncoming traffic going about 70 and I ended up with a couple scars and that was it thank God. This sort of thing really changes your perspective on life doesn't it? Hope the road rash heals up quick!

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Glad you are going to pull thru this. Still, stories like this are a tough read but the reminders of reality are always welcome. I'd be willing to bet she was texting again on her ride home "OMG I just like almost killt sum biker".

·
Registered
231 Posts
That sucks.

I am glad that YOU are (more or less) in one piece though. The bike can be replaced.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good to hear you came out of it mostly OK. I agree with MCSmith, bikes are replaceable, riders are not. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
317 Posts
So glad your gonna be fine and the bike looks pretty good for a 55 mph quick stop! Keep us in the loop on how your doing!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for sharing, hope they throw the book at her and it makes headlines and brings awareness to others to help and save some bikers. Wishing you a quick recovery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys, insurance is going to try to screw me I am sure, so I have hired an attorney, just to cover my ass, and ensure I get what I need to get back on my feet. They are wanting me to take it to places to get a quote on dmages, what the best place to take it? Yamaha dealer? Bikes shops?

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
wow. glad you're still with us. and thanks for sharing. and i'm taking away from your story that helmets save lives. and it's a good reminder to not text and drive. it also goes to show that the best we can do is be aware of our surroundings and wear proper gear and ride with safe equipment and in a safe manner. if something is going to happen it's going to happen and at least you did everything in your power to protect yourself

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad you are ok. I always try to ride as if every car is gonna try to kill me, no telling what some people are going to do next while behind the wheel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm glad that you're in as good of shape as you are. Bikes can be rebuilt and replaced. We generally cannot be.

In 60% to 70% of the instances that I see someone do something really stupid on the road, they've got a phone in their hand. It's either up to their ear or they're trying to text on it. There are days when at least 20% of all the drivers I see are on phones. Unfortunately we seem to be a reactive race and not a pro-active race. When is enough going to be enough? When are we going to have a nation-wide crack-down on DWUP (Driving while using phone)? When is this going to happen in conjunction with laws being toughened to the point that if you get caught just once using a phone while driving it will cost you a small fortune?

It's my opinion that DWUP is as dangerous as DWI, and should be treated even more severely until people get the frickin' message (no pun intended). I'm for: "Third time DWUP lose your license for 5 years". I'm dead serious, because there are people who are seriously dead all over the U.S. because of it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Someone was looking down on you and we thank him. Good to here that you walked away from this and glad to hear your still going to ride.I hope they throw the chains on her and lose the key.Praying for your quick recovery.Ride on brother.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys, insurance is going to try to screw me I am sure, so I have hired an attorney, just to cover my ass, and ensure I get what I need to get back on my feet. They are wanting me to take it to places to get a quote on dmages, what the best place to take it? Yamaha dealer? Bikes shops?
Glad you came out on two feet
I would recommend taking it to dealers for the insurance quote. That looks better (& more believable) in court.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's my opinion that DWUP is as dangerous as DWI, and should be treated even more severely until people get the frickin' message (no pun intended). I'm for: "Third time DWUP lose your license for 5 years". I'm dead serious, because there are people you are seriously dead all over the U.S. because of it.
Statisically it isn't as dangerous. 45% of overall fatal accidents involve drinking or drugs (60% of fatal motorcycle accidents if memory serves). The number of fatal accidents due to distracted driving is around 15%, cell phone use being only a single (although large) component of that. I would guess that there are far more people using cell phones while driving than having alcohol or drugs in their systems while driving, so DWI/DUI is several ordes of magnitude greater than 3X as dangerous.

My question would be, when will people get the message about DWI/DUI? Because obviously it hasn't happened yet. Heck, I know motorcycle clubs that will stop for a couple beers in the middle of a group ride.

Just to be clear, I detest the use of cell phones while driving. I just think it is far less dangerous than DWI/DUI.

Edit: Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread, maybe I should put this elsewhere...

·
Registered
251 Posts
MC,

While I can appreciate where you're coming from, I can't buy that argument.

In the first place I said, "It's my opinion that DWUP is as dangerous as DWI..."

Which is the more dangerous, a 2-ton SUV coming straight for me, piloted by a distracted (cellphone using) driver, or one coming straight for me, piloted by a drunk?

More importantly, the stats are totally whacked for doing an honest comparison.

It is usually extremely easy to determine whether DWI was a factor (after the fact) in a "fatal accident", or any other accident for that matter. To determine if cell-phone (or any communication device) use was a factor, you either have to have a witness or an honest (and most often a spontaneous and totally unsolicited) admission of guilt. As far as I know, law enforcement is not actively checking to see if the communication devices of drivers of vehicles involved in accidents were active and being operated at the precise moment of their accident without some kind of probable cause.

I know what I'm seeing out there and I know how many times I have to take evasive action because someone is using a communication device while driving.

And I too apologize for taking the thread in another direction. That was not my intention.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Feeling for ya, been there but wasnt as bad off as you I actually got stopped before the lady did and she still ran over my front tire, I just stepped off the bike as that happened. Not only is protective gear good so is rider training, no-ones perfect but it does help. When I drive my personal pick-up/car cell phone is in center console(sadlebag onthe bike) till I get where I'm going, work will fire me for talking/texting in their truck and I if I drink it's at home with the keys put up. I also have a rule 8hrs from the botle to the throttle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dykzeulb, let us know how you are doing! Hope you are feeling better. (This might sound perverse, but I took it as a positive sign that you were worried about getting screwed by the insurance company in your last post.)

I don't mean to be fatalistic, but I think there are definitely situations in which an accident can't be avoided. If you have a minute, could you let us know what gear you were wearing that you were happy to have? What gear didn't perform to your expectations? What gear didn't you have (or weren't wearing) that you wish you had been? Thanks!

Again, hope all is well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts