Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike out of 3yr storage ,new battery , fuel ,bang started up mo problems ,only issue Ive had is clutch is locked up, now last resort is to take it out lube and clean plates , in the old days wed just clutch in ,ingear rock it back and forth and usaully frees up. With my roadliner at 350kgs alot heavier ,anyone can help with me with a solution ill be gratefull thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the FL panhandle. I have a Stratoliner (which is a weight reduction from my last bike, a Road Glide Ultra). I'm not a mechanic, so I really can't help you with your problem. I do recall reading some post here about leaving the clutch lever pulled in overnight, but that might have been for a cable clutch; I don't know if that would work with a hydraulic clutch.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,750 Posts
Hello @r0adstarjb and welcome from Virginia. I know you say the bike is a tad heavy, but pushing it may help. (I know how heavy these are as I have push started my Stratoliner). Rocking it back and forth in each gear may free it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum from the FL panhandle. I have a Stratoliner (which is a weight reduction from my last bike, a Road Glide Ultra). I'm not a mechanic, so I really can't help you with your problem. I do recall reading some post here about leaving the clutch lever pulled in overnight, but that might have been for a cable clutch; I don't know if that would work with a hydraulic clutch.
Thanks appreciate it

·
Registered
376 Posts
How long have you had it running? I'd make sure it was running for a while to get the oil good and warm in there as well. Being a wet clutch it shouldn't be something you'd have to disassemble to correct.

I've not had a hydraulic clutch bike before. Is there a way to easily see that it's actually trying to disengage?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I would think that a cable tie on the lever overnight to take the pressure off and allow oil to flow into the stuck plates. I don't see why a hydraulic clutch couldn't do the same. That would be my first thought

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my bike out of 3yr storage ,new battery , fuel ,bang started up mo problems ,only issue Ive had is clutch is locked up, now last resort is to take it out lube and clean plates , in the old days wed just clutch in ,ingear rock it back and forth and usaully frees up. With my roadliner at 350kgs alot heavier ,anyone can help with me with a solution ill be gratefull thanks
The obvious answer if the Roadie is too heavy for you to rock back and forwards. Get a mate or two to give you a hand pushing it back and forwards going through the gears. However, seeing how it has sat for 3 yrs the oil for the clutch itself might be jelly now which could possibly be making the gearing hard to work. If a bike is going to be left for that period of time you can do one of two things. 1. You overfill it with oil ( this is to cutdown or stop any oxidisation happening inside the engine of that 3 yr period ), but remember when time comes not to start the motor until you have drained some out or better still drain the whole lot out and refill it. The second thing that some do is completely drain all oil out ( make sure the oil is nice and hit so it all drains out ). If you do this don’t forget to replace the oil when it comes out of storage. Now I prefer option one, but I’ve read where other guys a gone with option 2. I hope this helps Mate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts