Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Guys,

Anybody ever find a way to make the Harbor Freight swingarm lift cradle work?

It will not fit the swingarm forward of the rear wheel axle because of the rear cylinder muffler pipe. Behind the axle - there is enough room to lift the bike but you can't spin the wheel because of the clearance between the swingarm and the attach bolts / nuts of the rear wheel.

Here's a link to the Harbor Freight page -
1000 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Swingarm Rear Stand

Looks as if I'm going to have to resort to the 2x6 board method - but the HF would be so easy to use if only I could get the rear wheel to spin while elevated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You would have to modify the stand to be shorter on the muffler side so you could pick up direct under it on that side. A fabricating kind of guy would be able to modify it but it would be for a specific bike. I have a normal Motorcycle jack and a Harbor Freight roller stand. The bike spends the winter on the roller stand. it's up nice and high and 4 casters make it easy to move around in the garage with both wheels free to spin. I don't think they sell the roller stand anymore.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have almost every motorcycle lifting device available.....and I use this one 99.9% of the time. It was the cheapest and id by far the easiest to use. I think it cost like $40.

I do use a lift similar to this on the very rare occasion I need to have both wheels off the ground....you can usually find used ones on Carigs List for $50-$100.

Having been around motorcycles for quite some time, I can tell you that I'm not a fan of storing a bike up in the air. IMO it is a safety issue just waiting to happen unless both wheels on either on the ground or on a lift that is on the ground. Maybe I'm a little over cautious, but I've seen far too many bikes fall over and hurt people seriously when they were "supposedly" secured.....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
bikes that have the engine hanging through the frame are a pain,most jacks with fixed rails can't be centered they always seem to hit the engine, on mine i have to jack the front then i block it with homemade stands and use the jack on just the rear, every so often i like clean up the front and bottom of the engine and repaint it and the way i lift it gives me access to bottom of the bike, if i'm going to leave it off the ground i'll anchor it to a sheet of plywood i put under the bike before lifting, i have two ratcheting straps for that, as far as that harbour freight lift wouldn't putting bigger wheels on it make it lift the bike a bit higher so the wheel will spin?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts