Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but carb float adjustment procedure in Tech Manual could use some help. Specifically, it says to measure float chamber level and if incorrect, pull carbs, adjust tang, reinstall and measure again. No offense, but this seems dumb. Filling it, draining it, making adjustments blind is a time-wasting "shot-in-the-dark" approach.
Every other bike I can recall provides a measurement with float just lightly seating the inlet valve (usually holding carb in hand, on an angle) and measuring height from carb float bowl flange to high point on float (often the measurement is about 9 mm =/- a little bit).
Does anyone have a measurement (in mm) for setting float tang based on disassembled bowl using a fixed reference point (such as distance/height from flange face or other reference point) that corresponds adequately to the method the service manual describes)?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You arn't sounding like a jerk. You have years of experience that you can't get from reading a manual. I am sure you will fit in here and be able to help others. Just because you pay a plumber $100 an hour doesn't mean he knows what the hell he is doing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your inputs.
My main beef is that the manual has you repeatedly filling, measuring, draining, (blind) adjusting tang, reassembling, filling and checking if float is set "right". If not, repeat steps until you (by chance) get it where you want it.
I can do this on the bench, but every time you take the float bowl bottom cover off, you create a risk for pinching the O-ring when reassembling. This can be avoided with care, BUT, there has to be an easier way.
I'm going to try to develop a correlation table that relates the float measurement (dry) to the final level value when bowl is reassembled.
That may help the next person but it will take up some valuable bench time to get that done. We'll see if it works.
Again, thanks for input!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts