Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe. Just bought the Big Bar Engine Guards, got them home, opened them up, no instructions to install. :eek: Just wonderful.

Does any one have the instructions they can scan and email me, or can someone give me tips on the install? Do I need to worry about torquing bolts to certain spec, etc?

Any advice/help appreciated.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Lindby, you take off the floor boards, two bolts per side. They provide longer bolts. On the front they need to be longer to accomodate the bar. The back bolt, they provide a spacer to take up the gap created by the bar in the front.

Lindby has a clamp style collar for the top that go on the down tubes, very straightforward.

You'll want someone to help hold the bar in place to get the bolts lined up or do like I do and get creative with styrofoam blocks and whatever else you need to act as that second person. LOL

Take care, obviously, to not be banging the bar into stuff and/or scatching things.

They did not provide, that I remember, a torque value. I made snug and then add about a 1/4 turn so I was happy it was tight without being CRANKED tight. Just check them after your first ride.

There was plenty of slack on both sides, shifter and brakes, related parts and wires, to not need to take anything else apart.

I took the opportunity to remove the heel shifter due to personal preference. I don't like the design and was concerned with an accidental upshift as I felt coming back from the crash bars, which I only installed to put pegs on, might be a great opportunity to surprise myself. Which I don't much like. LOL

I can't imagine Yami's bar is much different.

Let us know how you like the bar when you get it on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
With the Big Bar you don't remover the floor boards.

Remove the 4 bolts on the frame with the cross member support.

The left side attaches directly to the flat surface of the frame with bolts running inside to out with nuts on the outer side of bar. The frame support goes back in and you need small fingers to get behind the support. I would suggest you start all 4 bolts and have a helper hold the bar in place while you push the bolts through the bar.

You should have 2 spacers. To attach the right side, the smaller spacer goes between the frame and bar in the lower position with the scalloped side toward the frame. The larger spacer goes on the upper left side bolt between the frame and bar.

The top is secured buy the "U" shaped part of the bar mount with the rubber pad sandwiched between the mount and frame.

I don't remember how tight the nuts are but it's not a lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Might I suggest you reference the original torque value for those bolts as per the OEM specs? I don't have a Strat/Roadie, but it seems to me that the specs should suffice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks all. Bars installed today.. They look great, and when I get the Dawgs installed and the pegs mounted it will be a great cold weather ride too! :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you need it, the maintenance manual for the Stratoliner has the torque for the rider footrest assembly bolts at 35 ft lbs = 420 inch lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts