Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody new to the forum and so far you guys have been a lot of help. I've recently purchased a Yamaha eluder. Now I know there has been a lot of heat talk on these bikes so I don't want to beat a dead horse. BUT ( no pun intended) I've looked all over and could not find a solid answer about this. Any input be very much appreciated.

Obviously these big twins put off a lot of heat but I am getting an excessive amount of heat in my seat, my seat heaters are not on and my passenger is also getting this heated sensation on the seat. Like the seat is really hot to the point where the actual seat heaters are almost null.

Has anybody on here had this issue before? The bike has relatively low miles (3000) so could it be that it's still a little early and once it breaks in a little more it may run cooler? I have to ask because I haven't seen any other thread covering this thank you guys I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's an air cooled bike, they get hot. To rule out the seat heater unplug it. Mine has 600 miles on it and I hear the heat will get better with age. I recently installed highway pegs and when I put my feet out on the pegs the heat is a lot less noticeable but that doesn't help your passenger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an air cooled bike, they get hot. To rule out the seat heater unplug it. Mine has 600 miles on it and I hear the heat will get better with age. I recently installed highway pegs and when I put my feet out on the pegs the heat is a lot less noticeable but that doesn't help your passenger.
Thanks for the reply, I don't mind the heat off of the engine or the exhaust, yes I think that will be my next step to unplug the seat heater and see if maybe there is an issue that lies there.
Coming from a victory I'm used to the air-cooled Big Bore engines but I just wanted to see if anybody else has noticed that the seat gets hot even with the heater turned off, I know there's some oil that runs under the seat so that could be it also i suppose, have you ever noticed your seats getting quite warm, with the heater turned off?

·
Registered
2018 Eluder GT
1 Posts
The heat issue that everyone talks about is only felt on the left thigh. If you are feeling heat on your butt, that is something separate and I would also say to unplug the seat and ride. If it no longer is hot....

A seat heater issue like this would be the first I have heard of.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I don't mind the heat off of the engine or the exhaust, yes I think that will be my next step to unplug the seat heater and see if maybe there is an issue that lies there.
Coming from a victory I'm used to the air-cooled Big Bore engines but I just wanted to see if anybody else has noticed that the seat gets hot even with the heater turned off, I know there's some oil that runs under the seat so that could be it also i suppose, have you ever noticed your seats getting quite warm, with the heater turned off?
The only oil under the seat is the oil tank and you shouldn't be getting much if any heat from that. I haven't noticed the heat you describe other than on my left leg. I would unplug the seat and see if the trouble goes away.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi there, the first thing I would do, is to just stand beside your cold and dark bike, on the left side. Place your palm directly down on the seat, for a palm input test. Then, if you have a small medical thermometer for taking mouth or anus temps, I'd place that on your seat and hold it so the BULB touches the middle of the rider and then the middle of the co-rider seat. Record that temperate on a piece of paper. Then put the bike to ACC (not started!) and go through every menu that is associated with turning on heat...and controlling and setting the temp levels of the three Low, Medium and High. Making sure that no setting is as 'on'...then start the bike...on the kick stand...and let it run as you back wrist the back cylinder fins, until you can not touch them any longer. With your other free hand, place it in the middle of the rider's seat, and watch for any quick build up of heat. If that is so...then as KC61 stated...separate the wire connection to the underside of the seat and palm test. This way, you will find out where the heat is coming from...to make you feel it in the saddle. Also, I MOST HIGHLEY and strongly recommend, that you buy the two lower wind deflectors. Yes, Yamaha is in RIP OFF mode for what they are charging for the two deflector and mounting gear, ...but...they not only work...they probably are responsible for evacuating over 80 percent of cylinder generated heat. They sit at engine level...and not upper cockpit as the O.E.M do. My experience with owing a pair, is that this is the first thing I would ever recommend to a new owner, to pick up first for installation. When you have the trailing back edges of both turned inward, lots of cold fresh air is being sent to the 'Twins', and then swirl/vortexed away from you and the co-rider. In my mind, these should have been included in the Standard Feature list...instead of Yamaha trying to squeeze a few more hundred out of ya...and especially for the MSRP price they set the rides to! My opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there, the first thing I would do, is to just stand beside your cold and dark bike, on the left side. Place your palm directly down on the seat, for a palm input test. Then, if you have a small medical thermometer for taking mouth or anus temps, I'd place that on your seat and hold it so the BULB touches the middle of the rider and then the middle of the co-rider seat. Record that temperate on a piece of paper. Then put the bike to ACC (not started!) and go through every menu that is associated with turning on heat...and controlling and setting the temp levels of the three Low, Medium and High. Making sure that no setting is as 'on'...then start the bike...on the kick stand...and let it run as you back wrist the back cylinder fins, until you can not touch them any longer. With your other free hand, place it in the middle of the rider's seat, and watch for any quick build up of heat. If that is so...then as KC61 stated...separate the wire connection to the underside of the seat and palm test. This way, you will find out where the heat is coming from...to make you feel it in the saddle. Also, I MOST HIGHLEY and strongly recommend, that you buy the two lower wind deflectors. Yes, they are way too much for the asking price...and yes, Yamaha is in RIP OFF mode...but...they not only work...they probably are responsible for evacuating over 80 percent of cylinder generated heat. They sit at engine level...and not upper cockpit as the O.E.M do. My experience with owing a pair, is that this is the first thing I would ever recommend to a new owner, to pick up first for installation. When you have the trailing back edges of both turned inward, lots of cold fresh air is being sent to the 'Twins', and then swirl/vortexed away from you and the rider. In my mind, these should have been included in the Standard Feature list...instead of Yamaha trying to squeeze a few more hundred out of ya...and especially for the MSRP price they set the rides to! My opinion.
Thank you for the advice this is something I am going to look into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everybody I am going to do some troubleshooting I will let you know if I figure anything out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
--

I had a "hot seat" when I first got my Eluder, too. Heater seemed to be off, but I just disconnected the plug to the seat and knew it was off. Never needed it, but then I don't ride when it's that cold.

--

1 - 9 of 9 Posts