Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've been keeping tabs on that to finally find out what the msrp is. Can't wait to see non-manufacturer's reviews. There's no way in hell I would ever own one even if going through a pathetic end-life crisis but my curiosity is piqued.

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
I think Yamaha is thinking outside to box to sell more bikes. I manage a staff of 60 plus employees with about 50% being millennials. They are always asking me how do I hold my bike up without dropping it. What they see is a small old man (me) holding up this big bike. I've tried to explain you are just balancing the bike, but they really don't understand. I'm not picking on the millennials, just stating a question asked often. So Yamaha is marketing a bike that stands on its own and is sporty looking. Is this their marketing idea to sell more bikes? I don't know but looks like it to me.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are always asking me how do I hold my bike up without dropping it. What they see is a small old man (me) holding up this big bike. I've tried to explain you are just balancing the bike, but they really don't understand.
how small are ya? cuz if i saw something like this, i'd probably have questions too.

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
Bevo, that's a great comeback! Small is a relative term I quess. I'm 5'5" without my boots and 125 pounds with them on 😄. I've been told I'm a cocky little fart. I'm old to my employees (63) and bald. Hopefully you get the picture. I'm not self conscious at all about any of this. But I can out think and out work any of them even on a bad day. My riding buddies hate that I can take a smaller bike and out run them, power to weight is a great thing. Wow, this is way off topic, but hopefully somewhat entertaining. I'm on the left in the picture.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I am trying to decide if I like that bike. I think I will have to see it in person. So do you counter steer it or drive it like a trike?

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
It counter steers, here is quote from Yamaha website:

Unique Double-Tube/Dual-Axis Steering Design
The radical front end of the NIKEN uses paired fork tubes for each front wheel and steering linkages to provide ideal steering geometry and natural steering feel. The system turns and leans like a conventional motorcycle, but with twice the front tire grip. And, like other Yamaha sportbikes, this system provides adjustable compression and rebound damping for a highly tunable ride.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the fork travel must be tremendous. i'd imagine riding it would feel like a bike with training wheels. seems like it would be a lot tougher to lay down than a typical bike. i wonder who the target demographic is? people who want the sportbike experience but now have extra safety to do it? would insurance companies still charge premiums as a normal sportbike?

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
it has twice the front tire grip
and it has twice the front end weight

so there is no gain in performance.

the grip of a tire is the coefficient of friction of the tire material on the surface of the road, times the normal force of the weight on the tire.

How is having two front tires any different (better) than having one tire with the same contact patch area?

I have to assume this machine is for people that cant put their feet down and hold up a motorcycle, until they explain otherwise.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think it's primary purpose is as a concept vehicle to promote brand recognition. I doubt Yamaha really believes it's going to be a hot seller and that will probably be reflected in what I think will be a pretty steep price tag.

·
Registered
954 Posts
it has twice the front tire grip
and it has twice the front end weight

so there is no gain in performance.

the grip of a tire is the coefficient of friction of the tire material on the surface of the road, times the normal force of the weight on the tire.

How is having two front tires any different (better) than having one tire with the same contact patch area?

I have to assume this machine is for people that cant put their feet down and hold up a motorcycle, until they explain otherwise.
Man, I got into a "holy war" at Stryker forum one time. My opponent has tried hard to convince me in adhesion effect taking place (adhesion force would depend on the contact area) and my point was that at normal speed on normal tires you don't reach required temperature... unless you use slick race tires, but he didn't agree :) we both left that conversation with our own opinions...

·
Registered
124 Posts
With "twice" the tire grip (power can always be added to compensate for the added weight) I wouldn't be surprised to see this bike in MotoGP competition in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With "twice" the tire grip (power can always be added to compensate for the added weight) I wouldn't be surprised to see this bike in MotoGP competition in the near future.
grip/traction and speed are inverse on the track. with more grip you sacrifice speed.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Grip isn't an issue in Moto GP, it's overall weight, unsprung weight, braking (with regards to feel and fade) and broad, usable high power curves. The Niken's design falls short in many respects. It's weight is no doubt heavier than a comparable two wheeled motorcycle, considering it has two front wheels and sets of forks, has more unsprung weight and is tall with limited lean so it's going to be a dog in turns... it's going to handle like poop compared to a race bike. The Niken may be suited as a sporty road bike or sport tourer at best and if anything it may have an advantage over the typical motorcycle when it comes to handling in inclement weather but that's it.

Again, the Niken is basically a proof of concept bike and IMO will end up like the Yamaha GTS1000 of the 90s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Again, the Niken is basically a proof of concept bike and IMO will end up like the Yamaha GTS1000 of the 90s.
I never heard of a Yamaha GTS1000 - I guess that's your point. :grin:

Wow! Can't get much lower than that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I never heard of a Yamaha GTS1000 - I guess that's your point. :grin:...
ROFLMAO... ah, the magic of just one sentence!

But yeah, I can't think of how many times I've seen new tech show up with all kinds of fanfare but not really go anywhere. Not that there were so many examples, it's just that I'm old and my memory is fading. Seriously though there have been plenty of alternative 'solutions' to stiction 'problems' with slider front fork designs (addressed by BMW's Telelever or Britten's V1000 Hossack suspension) or methods of improving traction and/or stability but in the end they were great in some respects but translated poorly in terms of racing applications. As for the Niken's marketing blurb, "The NIKEN™ LMW chassis is an exclusive motorcycle control system that provides unparalleled rider confidence across a wide range of road conditions" that needs to be taken in the proper context, common 'John Q Public rider on public roads' situations, which was already addressed in another form almost a decade ago in Vespa's Atlas scooter... yeah, a friggin scooter. BTW, it wasn't even a hot seller in the scooter market. But the Niken sure looks more badass than the Atlas so there's that.

·
Super Moderator
4,447 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts