Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone

I am in dire need of some advise

it has been two months since I rode my Raider and it's all due to an electrical issue I am facing

Let me explain the whole story first.
it all started two months ago when, while it was winter here in South Africa I did not ride the bike for a week and a half.. I tried to start the bike but the battery was flat
So I jump started her using my car and all was fine and well.. i made my routes for the day and came back home.

The next day I wanted to ride again and saw that the battery was flat again.. so this time I recharged it and and afterwards she started fine.. but when I got to my destination less than 5km's away and tried to start her again there was nothing.. not even the dash came on. no indication of power anywhere..

I did ask for help and someone offered to jumpstart her again.. which in turn blew my main fuse.. Mcgywer style I got her running on revs just to get back home.. luckliy I was less than 5km's away from home then.. So since then I have tried to get the bike fixed. I bought a new battery but still nothing.. tested the battery and all is fine there.. I did static tests on the stator and the rectifier as well and removed the starter relay which is switching on and off on another battery. the bike can start if I connect my battery to a car which is not running off course. I also checked the battery on my dad's bike and sure as hell that one starts on my battery.

the battery is holding it's load of 13volts and even test it 2 days later it is still on +- 12.85 / 13volts. i did however do an amps check on my battery and everything is draining less than 0.03 amps untill I switch on the ignition, that drains a whopping 2amps. all i get from the starter is a vibrating starter relay

anyone here who can place me in the right direction

Please

Thanks
Dwayne

·
Registered
204 Posts
How old is the battery? If it is more than 3 years old, it is very likely due to be replaced, over 5, it is past due to be replaced in general. When you are doing the volt drop test, are you watching the numbers as you start? If it drops to 10 volts or less, this is a sign the battery needs replaced, especially if it is slow coming back up in volts after you let off of the starter button. If you have a way of getting the battery out of the bike and performing a load drop test on it, that will tell for certain if it is isolated to the battery or if there is a short somewhere. Not sure if you have an Autozone or equivalent parts store over there, but they should be able to do the drop test.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,490 Posts
Hello @DwaynePsyborg and welcome from Virginia.

I had a similar situation with my starter relay. I ended up replacing it and all was fine. You state that it buzzes in one place and earlier state that it clicks. You can find them cheaply online and replacing it may be in order. If you wish to simply take it apart clean it, that may help.

Also check the battery cables (both) all the way from the battery to their terminus. Corrosion is the enemy here and if you find any, you may need to replace that cable. Even if you only find a little at one end or the other, this will impede the flow of electrons sufficiently enough to cause problems with starts.

If any connections are loose, tighten them.

What year is the Raider and how many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Take a meter, connect to battery. Note the voltage. Start the bike , revving it the voltage should go to around 14.5 volts .
If this is good, starter relay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is the battery? If it is more than 3 years old, it is very likely due to be replaced, over 5, it is past due to be replaced in general. When you are doing the volt drop test, are you watching the numbers as you start? If it drops to 10 volts or less, this is a sign the battery needs replaced, especially if it is slow coming back up in volts after you let off of the starter button. If you have a way of getting the battery out of the bike and performing a load drop test on it, that will tell for certain if it is isolated to the battery or if there is a short somewhere. Not sure if you have an Autozone or equivalent parts store over there, but they should be able to do the drop test.
thank you for the response.. This is a brand new battery.. if I take the battery out and charge on a smart charger the volts stay around 12.85 to 13 volts for at least a week so there is no volt drain on the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello @DwaynePsyborg and welcome from Virginia.

I had a similar situation with my starter relay. I ended up replacing it and all was fine. You state that it buzzes in one place and earlier state that it clicks. You can find them cheaply online and replacing it may be in order. If you wish to simply take it apart clean it, that may help.

Also check the battery cables (both) all the way from the battery to their terminus. Corrosion is the enemy here and if you find any, you may need to replace that cable. Even if you only find a little at one end or the other, this will impede the flow of electrons sufficiently enough to cause problems with starts.

If any connections are loose, tighten them.

What year is the Raider and how many miles do you have on it?
thank you for the response.. the Raider is a 2013 model and I have checked all connections from the battery, I also did a static test from the rectifier connected to the battery and I get +12volts and -12volts rotating the volt meter wires.. which means the battery is giving the rectifier sufficient volts when the bike is off.

But I will double check the bettery wires again... I have read alot about the starter relay causing this kind of issue and will start there..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a meter, connect to battery. Note the voltage. Start the bike , revving it the voltage should go to around 14.5 volts .
If this is good, starter relay.
problem is I cannot start the bike but I did do a test yesterday I connected my car battery (switched off) with the bike battery and both could not start the bike, still get teh starter relay buzzing like mad, so i really do not think it's the battery

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Can you jump the terminals of the starter relay to the starter and see if the starter turns? I would try that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you jump the terminals of the starter relay to the starter and see if the starter turns? I would try that.
I did use a screwdriver to try and jump the relay to the starter but still get the same results.. buzzing of the relay.
I just have to wait untill month end to go and buy the relay, as we are in South Africa everything costs double the amount :(

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I am talking about jumping the large terminals, one from the battery , the other to the starter. One of two things will happen doing this either the starter will turn or it won't , it will not just buzz the relay.
If the starter turns it is the relay, if it doesn't turn it is the starter or the cable to the starter. You are bypassing the relay when doing this .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am talking about jumping the large terminals, one from the battery , the other to the starter. One of two things will happen doing this either the starter will turn or it won't , it will not just buzz the relay.
If the starter turns it is the relay, if it doesn't turn it is the starter or the cable to the starter. You are bypassing the relay when doing this .
oh yes I understand now, force starting the bike from the battery itself, bypassing the whole system.. I will try that tonight but not too sure how.. I see only 1 cable to the starter, must I place the positive to the battery and the nagative to the starter with the bike on?

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
On the starter relay will be 2 big wires, on from the positive of the battery ,the other goes to the starter . You should be able to short them with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On the starter relay will be 2 big wires, on from the positive of the battery ,the other goes to the starter . You should be able to short them with a screwdriver.
yea I did try that using a screwdriver to connect those two connecters which ended with the starter relay buzzing. there were sparks but no start

1 - 13 of 13 Posts