Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 1300 discontinued, does anyone have any insider information or rumors if Yamaha will be releasing a new cruiser? The 1300 is a great platform and would like to know if Yamaha is up to something in the next two years.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the 950 and my buddy has the 1300. We both love our bikes and couldn't believe it when Yamaha discontinued them both. There is a big gap in their line up now that will only hurt them as neither of us can afford to move into the Venture or Eluder price range so our only other option is to go back to Suzuki and get a 1500. We do a lot of touring and our bikes suit us perfectly. No need to get the Goldwing style or price tag.

I am hoping they bring back at least the 1300 or maybe a new and improved 1100. Something to fill the gap from the 650. But I guess people didn't buy enough of the cruisers as most of their line up now is sport bikes and sport touring. Can't really blame the manufacturer for not building what isn't selling. Sad to say but I may be jumping to another brand in the future. Tried to buy a couple of chrome goodies for my 950 and they are no longer available from Yamaha so I have to go third party to get accessories. Very disappointing for those of us that love and supported Yamaha over the years.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If a particular model is a good seller and makes the manufacturer money, they're not going to discontinue it from a particular market unless some other factors come into play. I see brand new 2015-2017 Strykers with $8,000 price tags, brand new Yamaha V-Star 1300s with $7,000 price tags... there still seems to be old stock floating around at dealerships that doesn't move even at those prices. If there's a enough of an outcry for a particular model then maybe Yamaha will start selling it again.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I think the used market is killing vstar new sales.

Right now there is a 2003 RoadStar Silverado on craigslist here for $2500. It looks like its completely stock, and has 40k on the odo.

Depending on the tires and brakes (rotors maybe) at 40k I could buy that bike and ride with a permanent smile on my face for the next ten years. Im not planning to get another bike till maybe next summer, but I would grab that one in a second.

the closest thing I could get new from yamaha now would be a new 2017 vstar 1300 tourer MSRP $12,600 - and I would rather have an air cooled, pushrod, carbed bike like the older Roadstar.

let me put it another way, I could buy the $2500 Roadstar and have $10,000 cash to take one hell of a ride across the country.

BTW there has not been a thread on this yet, but since Yamaha has killed off Vstar, and will not be making any more cruiser bikes, who is now the leading cruiser bike manufacturer for highly reliable motorcycles?

I think it would have to be Honda. If you want to buy a new 2018 Cruiser bike, you cant get one from Yamaha. To be fair, on the Consumer Reports rating for cruiser bike reliability, Honda was right (close) behind Vstar.

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
I agree, blueblitz. It's sad to lose such a great line of bikes, but I can see the business side of it.

I started out with Honda, and almost got a Shadow before I bought my VStar. They're nice bikes, no question. But if cruisers aren't selling, it's only a matter of time before they disappear from other manufacturers lineups as well. Well, I'm sure Harley will hold on until the bitter end, but they're a little out of my budget. I have the same reasoning as KCW - I'd be more than happy with that used Road Star and keep my money.

I tried on an Indian Scout at the motorcycle show last weekend. While not exactly a cruiser, it's pretty close and after reading some reviews on it, I would seriously consider it if I were in the market for a new bike. 1130ccs and 100hp? Yeah, that works. I'm going to keep my eyes open for demo days at my local dealer and see if I can take one for a spin, just for $h!t$ and giggles.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,636 Posts
Yamaha's web site. Only shows Bolt and 250 for 2018.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
What information are you basing your assumption that these bikes have been discontinued on?
there is more discussion on this for the whole Vstar line in this thread:https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/114370-we-orphans-now.html

a press release came out two years ago saying yamaha was pulling the plug on the Vstar line. At the time it was unbelievable they would do that, and whether they would keep some of the cruiser bikes and call them Yamaha instead of V Star was not clear.

Now its painfully clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My personal opinion the water-cooled V-4 is still the best cruising motor out there from Yamaha. Plenty of power but well-behaved when you want it to be. Nobody really knows yet how many miles they go before they're done. And if you ever get in a pinch you can saw it in half and have two nice 650's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 2016 Star Motorcycles were just going to be re-branded with the Yamaha name.Also Yamaha's website has been wonky over the years missing info.
I could see dropping the Tourer but I doubt they would get rid of the Deluxe. They didn't discontinue the 1100 until it wouldn't pass emissions, same thing with the YZF600R and when they did drop them there was some overlap of models. Yamaha usually introduces a new motor in one new model before expanding it to other models.
With motorcycle sales where they are I guess anything is possible. No cruisers on the European websites but I did find them on Australia's.
Very disappointing if the're getting out of the cruiser business. They've arguably been making cruisers since the 650 Specials.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When Yamaha shut Star Motorcycles down a couple of years ago, that was it. The V Twin line was basically being phased out. Yamaha did this more "gently" than Polaris did when shutting Victory down.

Yamaha simply continued to sell the backlog of 650,950,1300, Stryker and Raider stock. Notices there was no real changes in these models from 2015 until now.

The new Venture and Eluder were actually designed by STAR Motorcycles before Yamaha shut them down and originally were supposed to be released in 2014.

But the downturn in the Motorcycle industry especially the V Twin market Yamaha is out for the time being. The Eluder and Venture are not cruisers they are Goldwing/BMW style bikes that happen to have a V Twin for an engine.

I am afraid to say the Yamaha cruiser line is no more for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this. Incredible. I find it almost impossible to believe they won't appear again with new marketing for 2019 or...

·
Registered
360 Posts
they're still making 2018 Bolts and 250s for now
Beginners will by the 250. Yamaha is clearly interested in keeping that avenue open. Who will buy the Bolt? Why was the Bolt built? What is it good at? The only info I can find is that Yamaha has discontinued the Star line. Not much else out there. I wonder if their plan is to clear inventory then re-introduce their cruiser line w/ some shiny new models for 2019 or beyond. Yamaha is solvent. They're not going anywhere. I think their silence speaks volumes.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
The bolt is kinda the modern version of the UJM* format of motorcycles from the late 60s and 70s.

the only thing that makes the bolt unique compared to all the other general purpose mid size bikes is the V twin engine. Its a decent "everyday" motorcycle. I wouldnt call it a cruiser bike.

*"Universal Japanese Motorcycle", or UJM, is a term coined in the mid-1970s by Cycle ... The UJM template featured a four-cylinder engine, standard riding position, carburetor for each cylinder, unit construction engine, disc front brake ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts