Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Discussion Starter #1
Many folks don't go to the Motorcycle Model section of the forum on a regular basis, but view this thread a lot. Today I posted a sticky under each model the owner's manual and repair manual for most. Go to your bike model and check it out. A lot of used bikes are sold without an owner's manual, much less a repair manual. This will also make is easy if you need a copy or someone just joining does. The plan is to make it a library in progress as hopefully others will post manual updates as they become available. Hopefully I got all the links correct. Some are direct links while others will take you to a download page. Any comments welcome, enjoy.

Discussion Starter #3
For those who looked under the individual models earlier, take a second look, I added a spec sheet to each model. At times folks ask weight, seat height, power, etc, now you just refer then to model and most of that info is right there. What do y'all think?

Reactions: Boog and faffi

Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
For those who looked under the individual models earlier, take a second look, I added a spec sheet to each model. At times folks ask weight, seat height, power, etc, now you just refer then to model and most of that info is right there. What do y'all think?
One thing I see missing from the spec sheets is the color/speed/rideability specifications. I know in general that Blue is the smoothest color when riding on the highway or the city. Red is very fast but Black is approximately 2mph faster than any Red machine, though Red does get more attention for LEOs. Orange is the most unpredictable color and Silver is the non-color for those who don't like being seen. I believe Yellow bikes are for those who chose to challenge Police to chases but because they are slower than Black bikes are always caught. White is almost as smooth of a color as blue but neither is it fast nor is it as stable.

These are of course normal facts but not explained for each bike as sometimes things will vary between machines (except that Black is always the fastest color).
馃槑

Premium Member
One thing I see missing from the spec sheets is the color/speed/rideability specifications. I know in general that Blue is the smoothest color when riding on the highway or the city. Red is very fast but Black is approximately 2mph faster than any Red machine, though Red does get more attention for LEOs. Orange is the most unpredictable color and Silver is the non-color for those who don't like being seen. I believe Yellow bikes are for those who chose to challenge Police to chases but because they are slower than Black bikes are always caught. White is almost as smooth of a color as blue but neither is it fast nor is it as stable.

These are of course normal facts but not explained for each bike as sometimes things will vary between machines (except that Black is always the fastest color).
馃槑
Mine is black with red flames, so I have the fastest possible?

Discussion Starter #6
Mine is black with red flames, so I have the fastest possible?
No, it's on fire, better hurry and put it out. I thought about putting color options, but thru out the years there were too many options to list. If y'all see anything that possible needs to be added, let me know.

Registered
VStar 1100 Classic
The sacred service manual is a real bugger to find fir most bikes.
In all honesty I'm surprised as I would have thought people who are bikers who work in dealerships would be only too happy to upload them.
I wouldn't mind a manufacturer charging me to download it as it's far more comprehensive than most manuals you can buy.

Discussion Starter #9
Most repair manuals can be found easily online for vehicles over 10 years old. Manuals are broken down into two catagories, DIY (Do It Yourself) and DIFM (Do It For Me). The DIY manuals are great for the average person working on their own vehicles. But do not go into step by step instructions. Prime example: resently some one posted wanting to know how to correctly remove a fuel tank. In the DIY manual most of us use, it just said to remove, no step by step. In the commercial (DIFM) manual it would have broken it down to every nut, bolt and connection to remove and in which order. DIY manuals do a pretty good job and are cost effective ($25) to buy. The commercial (DIFM) manuals are expensive ($100s to thousands) and at times can only be bought with license from manufacturer. The DIY manuals will normally cover a number of years of a given vehicle while most true DIFM manuals cover one year and only one model. Maybe @Jaguartech or another tech can chime in on cost of the DIFM manuals.

Registered
99 Roadie
I use OEM web based stuff for pass through programming (J2534 protocol) and information.
Usually around 50 bucks per 24 hours.
JTIS discs are 300$ish depending on how hard they are to get.
Alldata is about 2500$ a year.
Just shelled out 1500$ for a set of OEM
Rolls Royce Shadow/T series/ Continental manuals.
Factory Ferrari manuals are around 5-700$ on paper, 2-300 on disc.
BMW and Benz are only available online for about 4000$ a year
Scanner updates run me about 2500$ a year.

Motorcycle manuals (OEM) are cheap compared to what l need but they really dont go into that much depth as they're aimed at trained techs

Some of the cars l see have over 50 control modules and 5 or 6 communication busses, some fiber optic.

Some days l wish l was a fry cook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts