Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a small windshield for my daily highway commute. I can't stand the look of them so I always go for the smaller types which still offer some protection, it also needs to be a quick release item so I can take it off immediately for my weekend fun.

I was wondering if any of you had ever tried the Yamaha short (15-3/8") shield?

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/accessories/500/str-2c503-10-00-gp-500.jpg

If so would you recommend it? If you still have it do you have any pics of it on your Roadliner? Any better alternative?

Thank you.
-Rick

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wrestled with the same thing last winter. I ended up finding a guy nearby on craigslist that sold me one from his strat with the locking gizmo for 200 bucks. Then I had to go to the dealership and spend another 200 bucks for the chrome mounting things that bolt onto your forks. Mine's a medium and it's really big even though I'm just over 6' tall. I was thinking about getting a short one too because they look alot better. However, I ride on the interstate alot during my daily commute so I'm concerned about how much wind protection the shorty provides. Let me know how things work out for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am looking for a small windshield for my daily highway commute. I can't stand the look of them so I always go for the smaller types which still offer some protection, it also needs to be a quick release item so I can take it off immediately for my weekend fun.

I was wondering if any of you had ever tried the Yamaha short (15-3/8") shield?

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/accessories/500/str-2c503-10-00-gp-500.jpg

If so would you recommend it? If you still have it do you have any pics of it on your Roadliner? Any better alternative?

Thank you.
-Rick
I have the short yamaha windshield..No hardware, just the shield..more then happy to let you have it for 50$ plus shipping..its in perfect shape, no scratches,(But no hardware comes with it)Had to but hardware on yam med shield... Let me know always looking to help a fellow rider

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I wrestled with the same thing last winter. I ended up finding a guy nearby on craigslist that sold me one from his strat with the locking gizmo for 200 bucks. Then I had to go to the dealership and spend another 200 bucks for the chrome mounting things that bolt onto your forks. Mine's a medium and it's really big even though I'm just over 6' tall. I was thinking about getting a short one too because they look alot better. However, I ride on the interstate alot during my daily commute so I'm concerned about how much wind protection the shorty provides. Let me know how things work out for you.
You can always cut your windshield to make it shorter, it's simple, I cut almost 5 inches off the top of the Stratoliner's stock windshield. Now I look over the top of the windshield and the wind protection is still good (it was never "great" to begin with). I'm 6 foot tall.

Here it is with the cut down windshield:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Thanks Bevo, the blue paint doesn't seem to slow it down at all. In fact I believe the sparkle is just the light's way of celebrating for finally catching up with my bike when I come to a stop.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks Bevo, the blue paint doesn't seem to slow it down at all. In fact I believe the sparkle is just the light's way of celebrating for finally catching up with my bike when I come to a stop.
Yeaqh, actually that's the light slamming into after you finally manage to wrestle that blue beast to a stop.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Yeaqh, actually that's the light slamming into after you finally manage to wrestle that blue beast to a stop.
SEE! Another guy with a blue bike with the SAME thing happening. I don't know what Yamaha uses for blue paint but it makes the bike wicked faster. You guys with "lesser" colors need to strip off your paint and get this blue paint, it's AMAZING!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice Windshield Mod

You can always cut your windshield to make it shorter, it's simple, I cut almost 5 inches off the top of the Stratoliner's stock windshield. Now I look over the top of the windshield and the wind protection is still good (it was never "great" to begin with). I'm 6 foot tall.
Wow... that windshield looks alot better with the 5" taken off. I'm not brave enough to do that myself so I may have to get a "professional" to do it for me. btw that blue paint looks great. I personally like the no-pinstripes look. May have to get mine re-painted someday to cover the pinstripes.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Wow... that windshield looks alot better with the 5" taken off. I'm not brave enough to do that myself so I may have to get a "professional" to do it for me. btw that blue paint looks great. I personally like the no-pinstripes look. May have to get mine re-painted someday to cover the pinstripes.
If you can use a saber saw and a file and sandpaper, you can do it!
Here is a link to a thread that I moderate which is a compliation of links to modification know how's:

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6110

In this list there is another link to the D.I.Y. windshield cutting thread.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the short yamaha windshield..No hardware, just the shield..more then happy to let you have it for 50$ plus shipping..its in perfect shape, no scratches,(But no hardware comes with it)Had to but hardware on yam med shield... Let me know always looking to help a fellow rider
heavvyduty,

If you've still got that short shield and it's the kind that has the "H"-shaped chrome piece attached to it (rather than the replacement shield that's just the plastic only), I would be very, very interested in your windshield.

·
Registered
81 Posts
heavvyduty,

If you've still got that short shield and it's the kind that has the "H"-shaped chrome piece attached to it (rather than the replacement shield that's just the plastic only), I would be very, very interested in your windshield.
Sorry it,s just the shield only.. I took off chrome piece,s to put on large shield

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heavvyduty,

Thanks for getting back at me on that.

I'm going to be needing the whole kitten kaboodle. I just won a bid on the 2 mounting brackets, so at least I'm checking off on the list!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts