Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, enough about Harley v. Metric. In my view, the two really can't be compared. It's like apples and oranges. Both taste delicious, but you wouldn't want to make a pie out of one of them. :D

What I'd like to know is whether there is a reason all of you chose Yamaha over, say, Kawasaki, or Honda, or Suzuki. Is there any difference in performance, quality, or market value, in your mind?

When I was shopping for my first and only bike (so far), I knew I wanted a belt-driven bike, and looked briefly at the Kawasaki Vulcan, but was told the engine is from the Ninja, and less reliable than the Yamaha V-twin. That's how I found my way to the V Star.

·
Registered
672 Posts
How can Vulcans have a Ninja motor when all Ninjas are i4's or parallel twins?

Anyhow, I don't know much about other metrics. I've always been a Yamaha fan even before I first started riding. I do like the big Boulevards from Suzuki and I like a few of the Vulcans from Kawi. I don't like Honda cruisers. I think they sound terrible and I don't like the plastic body parts.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
When I left the sport bike side to join the cruiser side, the items on my check list were:
V-Twin
Over 1200cc
Belt Drive
Air cooled
"Stylin'"

Like a lot of dealers today, I stop in regularly at one that carries multiple brands. The Star crusier met my criteria.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Before the La Madrugada, I had a Kawasaki. I bought it used and ws pleased with its performance but not its power. When it came time to buy a cycle this year I looked at lots of Kawasaki and Yamaha and Hondas. The Yamaha won hands down because of price and leve of cc powerand styling. I would not go to Honda again for various reason, the main being comfort.
So, if push comes to shove, I would be a Yamaha-Kawasaki rider without a doubt.
I love my Yammy 1100 silverado, and air cooled is easier than liquid, any day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an affinity for Yamaha to start with because my first bike was a Trailmaster 100 and I owned two SHO's with Yamaha engines. I also own some Yamaha sound reproduction equipment. I have never been disappointed with a Yamaha product.

A good friend is a total motorcycle geek and runs a cycle repair business on the side. He is mostly into vintage bikes but he had an '07 1100 Classic as his daily driver. I totally lusted after that bike. When he told me he wanted to sell the 1100 I asked him why he chose it. He went into a long explanation about the way the engine was configured, the advantages of shaft drive, and how the bike had monster torque as well as a wide powerband. That last trait is difficult to design into an engine. My SHO's had the same characteristic, btw.

I figured that this guy had done way more research than I ever would so I didn't even look any further. I bought the 1100 and never looked back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can Vulcans have a Ninja motor when all Ninjas are i4's or parallel twins?

I guess it's only the 500 series I was looking at that had this feature. This is from Wikipedia:

The Vulcan 500 was introduced in 1990, and was the first motorcycle in the Vulcan series not to feature a V-twin engine. Instead, the Vulcan 500 was fitted with the parallel twin 498 cc engine from the Kawasaki Ninja 500r. The Vulcan 500 thus had a high power to weight ratio for a cruiser producing nearly 50 hp (37 kW) despite weighing only 438 lb (199 kg) with a 13,000 rpm redline.[citation needed] The Vulcan 500 was discontinued after the 2009 model year for a nearly 20 year production run.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've driven Honda a single Yamaha bike. I didn't have any issues with either. I haven't purchased my bike yet, but it will be the 1100 Classic. I based it on reviews and the look. There were other bikes that looked similar to the Classic, but none that looked EXACTLY like the classic. When I read the reviews the deal was sealed.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
my dad has always had asian bikes. yamahas, hondas, kawasakis, never really a preference. my brother-in-law got a V Star 650 a little more than a decade ago. that's when i fell in love with Yamaha. didn't want any other brand when i decided to get my own bike

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
When i got Babe i had been out of the riding 'scene' for more than 10 years. My brother and his friends were all motorcycle mechanics that worked at a 'MotorSports' shop that sells and services all brands. They steared me toward the Yamaha because they had the best track record for reliability and least amount of recalls. My brother new my riding experience and when he saw me sitting on the 650 he pulled me of it, said "That wont due", then pushed me onto the 1100.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My brother new my riding experience and when he saw me sitting on the 650 he pulled me of it, said "That wont due", then pushed me onto the 1100.
I can't imagine how slow a 650 must feel. Before owning my Strat I had only ridden several Raiders (which made me fall in love with this powerplant). Right before I bought the Strat I rode a Stryker and it too felt slow to me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had never ridden on the street before last year, and I bought a V-Star 650 for my first street ride. Eight months later, I was on an 1100. A friend of mine at the dealer said he thinks the 1100 is actually faster than the Stryker, that it's kind of lumbering compared to the 1100.

Then last week I was looking at a Raider. Good thing I'm broke.......

·
Registered
672 Posts
Loved the Raider. It's the reason I got the Strat actually. I loved but, I didn't want to be stuck on a chopper-esque bike and I'm not buying another for a long time. lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
My first bike was a 84 Honda Interceptor 500 and I loved it. I dropped out of riding for a few years and when I decided to come back to it I was really thinking of going the bobber route. I have talked to many riders and unless you are a die hard Harley fan. I wanted the 1100 Classic Yammy because of the looks. It had that sweet old school look to it and I thought it would be great for bobbing.

I guess I have to say that all the Asian bikes have great qualities, the best one being a great price for what you are buying. And I have to say, now that I have my bike running right it's a dream to ride. I especially love it when it hauls ass past the H-D Sportsters!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I started riding as a kid in the 50s on a Harley 165 two stroke. I stayed with two stroke off-road bikes, a Binnelli and Bridgestone during the 60's and early 70's. In the late 70's I became a "suit" and needed a bike for commuting in jacket, tie and wing trip shoes so I went the Gold Wing route. I loved that bike for cross country highway riding and highway touring in general. It had excellent geometry, but was a bit too flexible in the twisties for my tastes.

Eventually in the mid 80's life became more complicated and I went to pedal bikes for stress reduction. Had a typical sub 20 lbs crit racing bike and a custom touring bike that was geared to carry me and all my touring kit over the Trail Ridge Road and to the summit of Mt. Evans in Colorado and eventually to the Sturgis rally in 2004.

Met some very fine people at the rally, saw some beautiful machines and my interest in cruisers shot up. (Interestingly, the only comment that was directed toward me and my pedal bike in the Black Hills was, "It's nice to see real bikes at the rally."

Anyway, once I retired and could ditch the professional alter-ego, I resumed my search for a cruiser with a relatively open mind. Due to local service availability I restricted myself to Star and Harley. I was really impressed by the low end torque of the V twins compared to that of the old Gold Wing's square four. It fit better into my perceived 'back roads' style of riding at this stage of my life. The good experience that I had with the shaft drive on the Gold Wing combined with the good experience I've had with my Yamaha outboard boat motor pushed me toward Star's 1100. I have never heard a complaint about belt drive, but I was more comfortable relying on past personal experience.

Finally, it was a combination of brand reputation, service convenience, size, power, fit, style and price that has me riding a 2008 1100 Silverado. Besides, I was much more interested in buying the right motorcycle than I was in buying a popular life style.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I wanted big ci with great styling.The stratoliner had both.I looked at the big kawi but the liner looks a lot better. Both bikes are great.I have a friend with the big kawi and it's a great bike.Honda vtx are good bikes also, but they have a lot of plastic on them that I don't care for.I also looked at the 109 suzi but it was like getting on a back of a cow.That sucker is big.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had been out of riding for 30+ years. I went to several bike shops and found the bike that fit me, that felt comfortable sitting on.

My final list included a Boulevard C50 and a V-Star 650 and V-Star 1100.

I actually initially decided on a flashy Blvd that they had on sale at CycleBarn, but when I showed up to get it, it was gone.... sold several days earlier.
As someone that had not ridden in 30 years, a decided to go with the smaller bike to start with realizing I can always upgrade later.

I'm happy with the V-Star 650, although it could use one more gear on the highway.
I can do my own Oil Changes... something that would be difficult on the 1100 without a relocation kit :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
When the wife and I went looking for a replacement for our Sportster I had narrowed it down to 2 bikes, the V-Star 950T and the Vulcan 900 Classic LT. Main reasons were price, engine size, and both came from the factory outfitted for touring (windshield, saddle bags, etc.).

The one and only reason my wife liked and picked the V-Star over the Vulcan......the Vulcan had studs on the seats, backrest, and saddlebags and the V-Star didn't. Yep...that's it, no studs on the V-Star and that's why we brought one home. True story...you just can't make this stuff up. :)

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
The one and only reason my wife liked and picked the V-Star over the Vulcan......the Vulcan had studs on the seats, backrest, and saddlebags and the V-Star didn't. Yep...that's it, no studs on the V-Star and that's why we brought one home. True story...you just can't make this stuff up. :)
surprised color wasn't the main factor

1 - 20 of 46 Posts