Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to single-handedly revive the bike economy, so for the last two weeks I have spent wildly and have become a pauper. But a proud pauper...:)

Replaced OEM seat with Ultimate Mid-Rider (I absolutely love it!!!)

OEM handlebars with Yamaha touring handlebars:

A higher rise and narrower stance. MUCH easier than the OEM crucifixion reach...

Replaced OEM grips with Kuryakyn ISO grips:

And a bit of farkle for the front fender to match the rest of the bike trim:

Overall:

Aside from maybe a PCIII next year when the warranty runs out, I'M DONE and Hallelujah!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Man! what kind of a bug was that:eek: I mean it had a butt big-enough to cover both mirrors :D
You reminded me of the Bobbit woman years ago who cut her husbands old fella off for having an affair. We heard a different story out here and it went like this............

After cutting her hubby's old fella off Mrs Bobbit took off in her car at great speed racing down the highway still holding the old fella in her hand.

Wanting to dispose of the evidence she then threw the old fella out of the drivers window.

Unbeknowns to her an elderly couple were driving behind. The old fella, flying threw the air then crashed into the windscreen of the elderly couple's car, leaving a mess. The elderly husband, stunned by the impact then said to his wife,

"Gee Dear, did you see the size of the dick on that bug"!!!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
hahahahahahahahahaha......
Glad you enjoyed it my fellow countryman, pissed myself laughing the first time I heard it. How was your Easter, ANZAC Day which had record attendances this year all over the country, long time since we have lost some of our troops which has no doubt increased the attendances. Hopefully not too many more fatalities to come out of Afghanistan. All the best mate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Springer keep me up on the ultimate seat, i am thinkig of getting the low rider. I'm only 5'6" tall.this stalk seat is killing my back. Thanks bob z

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Springer keep me up on the ultimate seat, i am thinkig of getting the low rider. I'm only 5'6" tall.this stalk seat is killing my back. Thanks bob z

Now with over 400 miles on it in rain and shine, I have to tell you it's the best seat I've had on any bike in 47 years. Worth every penny (even if you do have to part with entirely too many pennies:()

A note of caution: Ultimate takes time to tell you their seats are water resistant, not waterproof. Last night I rode home in a howling wet NE gale at midnight and belatedly applied mink oil to all the seams this morning. I had hit it with Pledge as soon as I got it; I think the mink oil will be a little more persistent. Didn't see any water in the seat when I got it home, but then my ample butt probably protected it:eek:

Ultimate will be happy to sell you a rain cover...

In all my rides so far, I don't even think about the seat anymore. No painful pressure points; no loss of circulation. It's just as comfortable as an automobile bucket seat.

Good luck if you go that way.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Springer, a new seat is my very next purchase (probably), so I appreciate hearing about the Ultimate. I had been leaning towards a Corbin, but not anymore. I'll probably replace both seats and maybe get the armrest for my BSP. She might ride with me more if she had the armrest. She says she feels like she's going to fly off the seat anytime I hit a bump. Do you, or does anybody else, have any feedback about the armrest? Also, I was thinking about getting the driver backrest, but don't know if it's worth the extra money. I'm 6'4" and wonder if the thing would just get in my way. I already have enough trouble getting on and off the bike (tall PLUS old PLUS fat PLUS klutzy). I priced out the whole enchilada (4-piece set + waterproof covers + armrest + backrest pouch) which would set me back $1,100 with shipping. I wouldn't HAVE to add the BSP backrest pad but the old one wouldn't match the rest of the seat stuff. I'd better buy all this shtuff before I retire. I won't be able afford anything but gas then (and maybe not even THAT).

·
Registered
54 Posts
BTW Springer, you have put together a BEAUTIFUL bike. I lusted after that color but ended up with the cobalt blue because it was newer and still in the crate at the dealer where I got the best price. Don't get me wrong, I like the cobalt too, but yours was my first choice. If you don't mind my nosiness, what's that gizmo between your speakers? It looks like some buttons and a GPS imbedded into the fairing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bob Z, I'm thinking of getting the lowrider seat too, and I'm 6'4" tall. The website says the midrider lifts you up an inch or so higher than the current seat, while the lowrider sits you at the same height as the OEM seat. With the shift upwards in BSP weight (heavier and higher hardware if you add the backrests, armrests, etc), I don't want to feel any higher-up than I already do on this bike. The other thing I did is order a new "touring" handlebar. It's in but I haven't had time to get it installed. Even though I'm tall, I can't sit upright on the bike and have both hands on the grips. I can do one or the other. If I sit up straight, only my fingertips reach the grips. If I lean forward, I can hold the grips correctly, but my back starts hurting after about an hour. I hope the combination of a new seat and handlebars that come up and back towards me, will make for a more enjoyable ride.

Actually, how do the stock bars feel to you? I've got gorilla-arms and have trouble hanging on while sitting up straight. Is it worse when your arms are shorter (although I shouldn't ASSUME they're short, I guess)?

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you don't mind my nosiness, what's that gizmo between your speakers? It looks like some buttons and a GPS imbedded into the fairing.
Thanks! Bullwinkle is handsome...:)

The gizmo is a Fusion Marine radio/am/fm/weather/cd/mp3/Sirius ready unit. Lets me listen to my rock & roll as I rock & roll:)

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Fusion+MS-CD600+Marine+CD+Radio.html

Cobalt blue is very pretty (never, ever, let Stratowart know I told you that:D) and you'll be the talk of the town!

I've got close to 2000 miles on the Ultimate and I love it more every ride. I had driver backrests on both my GL1500 and the Strat; never could get comfortable with them (pushed me too far forward even when adjusted back). Probably the Ultimate is a better backrest than I've ever had but they sure are proud of their pricing:(

In the meantime, the synergy of the Yamaha touring handlebars, Kury ISO grips and Ultimate seat have made it a dream touring machine for this old 6'1", bad knees, grouchy old person:)

Good luck

Regards

PS-

Were I you, I'd chat with Ultimate about their seat recommendation for someone your height. I'm betting they'll recommend the mid-rider because of your long legs. I wouldn't worry about the height. You sit down in an Ultimate, kind of like a bucket seat.

But it's your $$$

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
BTW Springer, you have put together a BEAUTIFUL bike. I lusted after that color but ended up with the cobalt blue because it was newer and still in the crate at the dealer where I got the best price. Don't get me wrong, I like the cobalt too, but yours was my first choice. If you don't mind my nosiness, what's that gizmo between your speakers? It looks like some buttons and a GPS imbedded into the fairing.
For '09 I think the actual name of this amazingly beautiful (and fast) color is "Cosmic Blue". The black cherry is also a fantastic color (Don't tell Springer I said that okay?). :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought about the midrider but I already feel too tall in the saddle. I especially notice the feeling when I have a BSP. The extra weight on the back and the extra "wobble" I get because it throws off my center of gravity is what makes me nervous. The Ultimate website said the midrider adds about an inch in seating height but the lowrider keeps the height the same as the stock seat. I doubt I'll pull the trigger without talking with someone at Ultimate though.

I saw a bike today with a rider backrest. I asked the rider if she liked it and she said she did. In fact, she was emphatic about how much she liked it. But my concern is exactly what you stated: will it hit me in the wrong spot and then not be adjustable enough. I'd hate to spend that much money and then not use it. I guess I could get the seat and then decide about a backrest later. The new handlebars I'm getting might make a big difference in ride comfort because I'll be able to sit up straighter.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I could get the seat and then decide about a backrest later. The new handlebars I'm getting might make a big difference in ride comfort because I'll be able to sit up straighter.

+1

You can always add the backrest when your bank account recovers:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts