Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drilling the muffler

and opening up the air box.

it looks like the air box sucked hot air from between the cylinders to meet noise regulations

yamaha v star 950 performance mods

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these bikes are AWESOME FAST with these few mods...it will FLY!!! for the price it costs

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
;the longer vid, walking out of the garage & around the bike

these videos are WITH the air box cut out and the tail pipe drilled

·
Registered
162 Posts
these bikes are AWESOME FAST with these few mods...it will FLY!!! for the price it costs

That may slightly increase performance but I don't like the fact that you're bypassing the air filter when drilling hole in the air filter housing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a hole saw install bit is 2 1/4 standard

the drill bit used for the exhaust is too small for a 12mm wrench to fit over it,
but a 13mm wrench will

the purpose of taping a socket around it is to keep the bit centered in the bore.

those holes are OUTSIDE the air filter. go look at the PBucket page to see , lmk if you need more pics, the filter is only around the TB

·
Registered
162 Posts
drilling the muffler

and opening up the air box.

it looks like the air box sucked hot air from between the cylinders to meet noise regulations

yamaha v star 950 performance mods

Based on your last post you're saying that the hole that you drilled in the exhaust is 13mm?
If that's the case then a ½" drill bit will work.
If I'm wrong please correct me. Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on your last post you're saying that the hole that you drilled in the exhaust is 13mm?
If that's the case then a ½" drill bit will work.
If I'm wrong please correct me. Thanks
yep, i double checked, it is half inch bit.

it makes a LOT of difference.

it's not LOUD, but it appears to flow a bit more,
and you can at least hear it enough to know it is running

(if your friends have LOUD bikes, that can be a problem with stock exhaust some times)

·
Registered
7 Posts
04ctd,

When you drilled out the airbox did you have to do any type of fuel injection adjusting? Also, have you had any issues since drilling it out?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, i have not done anything to it.

it has the 02 sensor in the exhaust collector, where both pipes meet.

the ECM should recalibrate to the increased airflow, and it appears to have done that.

it's running GREAT.

Sgt Mike, in another post, said he drilled the whole baffle out.
he has yet to open up the air box, so I doubt he is getting the maximum flow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. I drilled a 1" hole in mine and it sounds really good. I think I'll drill out the airbox this weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks. I drilled a 1" hole in mine and it sounds really good. I think I'll drill out the airbox this weekend. Thanks again.
Let us know if you have any issues with the drilled out airbox. I suspect that you won't have any but keep us updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drilled out my airbox. I put a hole on each side, towards the bottom. The holes are about 7/8" each. I'm going on a 150 mile ride tomorrow, so I'll let everyone know what I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rode close to 150 miles today with the airbox and exhaust drilled and I have to say that 04ctd is correct. Wow....the bike really comes to life with these mods. Much smoother also.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i don't think you can see the holes in normal light / use

thats a flash from a low angle.

it's WORTH it, especially withe 1 1/2 hole saw mod in the other thread.

these bikes will FLY

·
Administrator
15,306 Posts
ok so someone please explain this to me like a 4 year old. are you just drilling a hole into that cap in the exhaust, or are you just drilling the hole so that you can remove the entire cap? what will that do to the catalytic converter and the O2 sensor? if it's just a thin piece of metal, why did someone say earlier that it takes about 20 minutes to drill it?

forgive me for for sounding anal, but before i start drilling holes into my brand new baby, i just wanna know what i'm getting myself into because you can't undo this.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts