Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Folks,

Anybody have any idea as to how much mileage we can put on these little engines before wearing them out???

Just curious - will these last as long as say a 950, etc or are they worn out around the 50,000 mark or earlier - I'm talking basic country road driving - 50 to 60mph style of driving

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
In all the years on v-star and other forums I have never seen a post about a worn out motor.
Watch Wife put more than 500 miles on a vstar 250 in my hay field and it handled the rough.
Dirt and dust worked on the chain good. But on blacktop it would stay up with most any bike and last as long.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
most modern motorcycle engine last over 100,000 most engine failures i'v seen are usually caused by low oil because of a leak or just plain lack of maintenance, when i put the new 5th gears in my 650 at 50,000 miles there was still some crosshatch on the cylinder walls and the valve seats and faces were perfect even the valve margin was at the new spec, all the babbitt was still on the rods and mains, timing gears were perfect too, the timing chain stretched a little i could see it on tensioner teeth but there's plenty more room left, no real wear on the guides ether. the 250 is built the same way so there's no reason it shouldn't wear at the same rate. the 250 is a long stroke so it might wear a little faster but nothing to worry about really

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Guys,

Thanks for the info - I'm at a crossroads of driving the little XV250 for ever or moving up to a xvs650 - my driving is all recreational with very limited freeway driving planned - now that I'm retired those 200 mile day trips will be about my limit and at 78 mpg no fret about fuel cost.

Now if only the weather would warm up and let me get on with those trips!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts