Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus on oil, filter and crush washer: Do you guys buy the kit, or just go to Walmart or your favorite auto parts store and get the goods?

-PH

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 MX 4T Motorcycle Synthetic Oil 10W-40 mainly because in the spring time temps are around 0ºC (32ºF) freezing level and our summer highs rarely top 35ºC (95ºF) and the oil is good for -10ºC (14ºF) at the low end and the high end around 40ºC (110ºF) - these numbers from the owners manual and may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The oil filter, oil o-ring and crush washer from the Yamaha dealer - I saw a video of several oil filters being tested against each other and the Fram came out the worst - so I decided to stick oem - the air filter the same thing.

While more expensive at the dealer at least it's a known quantity - I'm certain that there are probably many better choices but Yamaha have already stuck their neck out by giving us a basic warranty.

The owners manual calls for an oil filter change every second oil change so when I went to synthetic I decided to go 10000km (6000 miles) between oil changes and change the filter every time but then again I do three oil changes every year so it might be overkill.

The air filter I clean every oil change and change at the 20000k (12000 mile) mark and as we've had very dusty roads this spring I'll replace the air filter as soon as we've had a few heavy rains which will wash away the salt / brine dust on our roads from the winter.

Spark plugs - I went to the platinum fine wire after the first year of ownership about the 20000k mark and just check them each spring and following oil change - any question about their condition and they go in the garbage - why fool around for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I like a good 20w-50 oil. Amsoil is always a good choice. K/N filter and a crush washer is must.. a good cheap investment. I have synthetic oil in my 950. Will probably be changing here in a month or so as riding season heats up here in Ohio.

Ride Safe! Ride often!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts