Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got from Yamaha Canada, a Journey Further USB card in the mail,
....with the latest Infotainment Software Update.

I believe it is the same update 12.0.6 that you can download, but the USB card obviously will work for all future updates. The cover letter states that you should use this USB 'card'

The body of the USB, is about the same as a credit card, and the actual USB interface swings open from the front face and then you can obviously see how you would fit it into your bike's USB port, or your Computer's USB port to load any further download updates to it.

So...for at least you fellow Canadian clients...you should also be getting one, if you haven't in fact, already!

Remember though, this isn't one use....you can delete the 12.0.6 SWO file, and download the latest, and then take it out to your bike...so don't throw the sucker away!!! :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Just got from Yamaha Canada, a Journey Further USB card in the mail,
....with the latest Infotainment Software Update.

I believe it is the same update 12.0.6 that you can download, but the USB card obviously will work for all future updates. The cover letter states that you should use this USB 'card'

The body of the USB, is about the same as a credit card, and the actual USB interface swings open from the front face and then you can obviously see how you would fit it into your bike's USB port, or your Computer's USB port to load any further download updates to it.

So...for at least you fellow Canadian clients...you should also be getting one, if you haven't in fact, already!

Remember though, this isn't one use....you can delete the 12.0.6 SWO file, and download the latest, and then take it out to your bike...so don't throw the sucker away!!! /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Dang you guys are slow. I got mine 3 weeks ago! I’ll still use the really nice 8GB one the dealership gave me.
As a matter of fact: when they loaned me their Demo while mine was being repaired, I noticed they had original software on it, so I used the stick from my bike and upgraded their software for them! The owner was both surprised & pleased!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang you guys are slow. I got mine 3 weeks ago! I’ll still use the really nice 8GB one the dealership gave me.
As a matter of fact: when they loaned me their Demo while mine was being repaired, I noticed they had original software on it, so I used the stick from my bike and upgraded their software for them! The owner was both surprised & pleased!
"Morning, Tony!" :)

Yep...just got it yesterday, when I got home from my country ride. My 'sweets' handed it to me...and said' "were you expecting something from Yamaha?" "Nope..." Glad to see it is reusable, and the good part...that it will certifiably work for future updates. Kinda weird though...the body like a credit card, and the flip open exposed USB module. Hey...as long as it works...right?

Joe

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I haven't received a Yamaha USB module for my bike.
That’s odd. They sent them all out in mass.
Hope you didn’t inadvertently toss it. It was in a large envelope and looked like a Yamaha credit card, but it’s not. The center end of it rotates around to expose a USB connection.

You should call Yamaha and tell them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That’s odd. They sent them all out in mass.
Hope you didn’t inadvertently toss it. It was in a large envelope and looked like a Yamaha credit card, but it’s not. The center end of it rotates around to expose a USB connection.

You should call Yamaha and tell them.
Nope I open all mail and have only received one item from Yamaha and it was not a USB module.

My Bike already had the latest software on it when I bought it so maybe they are only doing that for those who's bikes did not come from the factory with the current software.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope I open all mail and have only received one item from Yamaha and it was not a USB module.

My Bike already had the latest software on it when I bought it so maybe they are only doing that for those who's bikes did not come from the factory with the current software.
I don't think so, as the cover letter asks you to use the supplied USB mechanism for all future updates. I take it that they certified the module will work, period.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

I don't think so, as the cover letter asks you to use the supplied USB mechanism for all future updates. I take it that they certified the module will work, period.
You’re right Joe. Hey American, if you don’t have one, you do need one because there will be other updates to come down the road.
Also, NAV system updates as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You’re right Joe. Hey American, if you don’t have one, you do need one because there will be other updates to come down the road.
Tony...the one thing I decided not to do...is to format the Yamaha USB card. I'll erase whatever is on it...and then reload with a download cross over...but I think we should keep whatever format Yamaha supplied the card with...and that will keep 'that it will always work'. Just a thought to put out there...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tony...the one thing I decided not to do...is to format the Yamaha USB card. I'll erase whatever is on it...and then reload with a download cross over...but I think we should keep whatever format Yamaha supplied the card with...and that will keep 'that it will always work'. Just a thought to put out there...
If you didn’t get a nice 8GB one from your dealer like I did, then that’s a good idea. I’ll keep the “card” one as a backup.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you didn’t get a nice 8GB one from your dealer like I did, then that’s a good idea. I’ll keep the “card” one as a backup.
I only got this one from Yamaha, and nothing from my dealer. I did go out and buy one, that I used to update...but if this works...with my next update release...then all is good, no matter which one I now use. I hope we get an update soon for the splitting of Intercom/C.B. output. That's a pain to keep turning off the Intercom, just to transmit on the C.B. when with co-rider. That needs to be sooner, than later...!!!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I only got this one from Yamaha, and nothing from my dealer. I did go out and buy one, that I used to update...but if this works...with my next update release...then all is good, no matter which one I now use. I hope we get an update soon for the splitting of Intercom/C.B. output. That's a pain to keep turning off the Intercom, just to transmit on the C.B. when with co-rider. That needs to be sooner, than later...!!!
I agree. I know this bike has a LOT of tech on it, but how many years were they developing and testing? You’d think they’d have all of these issues addressed BEFORE they released it.
Don’t forget the fact that the NAV system can only accept 5 Way Points.... On a TOURING bike??
What were they thinking?!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I agree. I know this bike has a LOT of tech on it, but how many years were they developing and testing? You’d think they’d have all of these issues addressed BEFORE they released it.
Don’t forget the fact that the NAV system can only accept 5 Way Points.... On a TOURING bike??
Tony...morning! :)

I think our beef is with Harman/Kardon.

While we talk about the Navigation (their software...) here is one of my biggest beefs to date, and that I called Yamaha Canada Customer Service over..(BTW, very nice agents...they listen...) is this:

Unlike the Garmin system on my 2008 GL1800...when you are in casual mode (what I mean by that...is that you have not dialed in a destination, but have the navigation screen on the Master Display), NONE..of the streets, highways (overpasses), or turn about's, off ramps...NOTHING, thousands of feet, or 1 or two miles ahead, has any names come up onto the display....and in my case...when I PASS a street or overpass on the highway, or even a highway exit lane....the name of the street, or highway designation, finally comes up....but with me, already 500, to 700 yards BEYOND the street, exit, whatever...always behind me.

This is a serious software GPS bug. It is like the system does NOT know the actual X/Y coordinates of the bike...and the software 'sees' your motorcycle position, the motorcycle 'icon' 1,000 yards behind the icon position on the screen and triggers an update (names etc) to the casual map display. I called them about that to make them aware of the problem. Functionally for me, this bug is serious enough to make the Casual Map, totally useless. If I am in a town or city, and don't know what street cross over, I am coming to....of what use is the Navigation System to tell me the names of the streets I have already passed by 1,000 yards or more. Also...so weird...their choice of what gets named...is if I am on 'Gaflortnick' Street, names of side streets, three or four streets IN...from the street I am travelling on, gets named, but the cross over streets I am approaching ON MY STREET and line of travel, do NOT! WTH?

Another beef....at the top of the Nav Screen Display, there is a bar that tells you what street or highway you are on....(are you kidding me!?!?!?) I KNOW what street or highway I am on...what I need is for that bar to say, like my system in my Dodge Grand Caravan Van...'Gaflortnick Street, up ahead) and on the 3D display, all of the side and cross over streets having their names on full display and continuous update as I advance up the street. I would kill for having the system on my SVTC that is in my Dodge Grand Caravan!!!!! THAT system, let's you know, what is fully up ahead, though yet, unseen...

Clearly, I think Harman Kardon is second tier...and unfortunately to save money, BOTH Yamaha and Honda have gone with this company (dropping Garmin) for 2018.

So, what do I want to see in a Navigation Update? That the system keeps you abreast of the name of the streets, continually updating as a new street comes onto the system, and the name appears as you come upon it...and only disappears as it falls of the bottom of the screen. I want that top bar to show the next up coming street that the bike is approaching and to fix the deadly bug where your actual X/Y is behind the reporting screen data. Honda is also experiencing this stuff...so the problem lays with the actual Harman Kardon Navigation System Software. This is truly bad....and every year, manufacturers are going to outfit their bikes, with the lowest cost bid.... I guess Garmin held out for more, from both Yamaha and Honda....and was dropped....

Joe

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tony...morning! /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think our beef is with Harman/Kardon.

While we talk about the Navigation (their software...) here is one of my biggest beefs to date, and that I called Yamaha Canada Customer Service over..(BTW, very nice agents...they listen...) is this:

Unlike the Garmin system on my 2008 GL1800...when you are in casual mode (what I mean by that...is that you have not dialed in a destination, but have the navigation screen on the Master Display), NONE..of the streets, highways (overpasses), or turn about's, off ramps...NOTHING, thousands of feet, or 1 or two miles ahead, has any names come up onto the display....and in my case...when I PASS a street or overpass on the highway, or even a highway exit lane....the name of the street, or highway designation, finally comes up....but with me, already 500, to 700 yards BEYOND the street, exit, whatever...always behind me.

This is a serious software GPS bug. It is like the system does NOT know the actual X/Y coordinates of the bike...and the software 'sees' your motorcycle position, the motorcycle 'icon' 1,000 yards behind the icon position on the screen and triggers an update (names etc) to the casual map display. I called them about that to make them aware of the problem. Functionally for me, this bug is serious enough to make the Casual Map, totally useless. If I am in a town or city, and don't know what street cross over, I am coming to....of what use is the Navigation System to tell me the names of the streets I have already passed by 1,000 yards or more. Also...so weird...their choice of what gets named...is if I am on 'Gaflortnick' Street, names of side streets, three or four streets IN...from the street I am travelling on, gets named, but the cross over streets I am approaching ON MY STREET and line of travel, do NOT! WTH?

Another beef....at the top of the Nav Screen Display, there is a bar that tells you what street or highway you are on....(are you kidding me!?!?!?) I KNOW what street or highway I am on...what I need is for that bar to say, like my system in my Dodge Grand Caravan Van...'Gaflortnick Street, up ahead) and on the 3D display, all of the side and cross over streets having their names on full display and continuous update as I advance up the street. I would kill for having the system on my SVTC that is in my Dodge Grand Caravan!!!!! THAT system, let's you know, what is fully up ahead, though yet, unseen...

Clearly, I think Harman Kardon is second tier...and unfortunately to save money, BOTH Yamaha and Honda have gone with this company (dropping Garmin) for 2018.

So, what do I want to see in a Navigation Update? That the system keeps you abreast of the name of the streets, continually updating as a new street comes onto the system, and the name appears as you come upon it...and only disappears as it falls of the bottom of the screen. I want that top bar to show the next up coming street that the bike is approaching and to fix the deadly bug where your actual X/Y is behind the reporting screen data. Honda is also experiencing this stuff...so the problem lays with the actual Harman Kardon Navigation System Software. This is truly bad....and every year, manufacturers are going to outfit their bikes, with the lowest cost bid.... I guess Garmin held out for more, from both Yamaha and Honda....and was dropped....

Joe
Good idea moving this topic to its own thread. A LOT to be discussed on this. Maybe HK or Yamaha will listen in and take some cues!!
One can only hope!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts