Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of confusion, since you guy were a huge help a few weeks back I figured you were the people to come to.

I re-Jetted my 1999 VStar 1100 Custom's carbs after a pipe change, (Monster Pro 2 to 1 Bad ass sounding mamma jamma's). I bought the Jet kit from Pacific Coast Star followed their recomendations on proper jet size, my short fall was the PMS screw, I did not purchase a aftermarket thumbscrew and it is hell to adjust.

I noticed how little air the VStar gets from the Factory set up, this will just not do. MY baby has to breath, So after research, I aquired two K&N RU-0600 Filters which I plan on installing this weekend (Friday), which will lead me to again Re-Jetting My carbs.

My question is two fold

1. In my lurking around here, i have seen alot about Pipe and Pod upgrages needing jets of size 150, however those were newer bikes than mine. The Pacific Coast Star paperwork i have suggest Both Front and Rear cyl with Pipe and Air modification get a 117.5. So I am confused as to how to set it up. So if someone knows and could set me straight there I would be gratefull. AND if i need something OTHER than a 117.5 do you think i could pick it up at my freindly neighborhood Harley Davidson Dealer.. or must I drive 40 miles to the Yamaha Dealer.

2. I need to "Rig" a thumbscrew for my PMS what successful options have you guys found to do that?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew about metric magic.. I was hoping to find a DIY solution to avoid waiting for the postman.

I see on that chart, it list my current set up, Performance 2-1 pipes 117.5 front 115 Rear.. but that contradicts the instructions given by Pacific Coast Star. Not questioning the chart.. really .. just now wondering if anyone else with Monster Pro pipes is set up like the chart or are they set with 115 Front and Rear?

And Does the K&N filter set up count as a "POD" install?

If so.. I know what to do... Grab a new pilot jet and two new Main Jets.. dont know where im gonna get .5mm shims though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
And Does the K&N filter set up count as a "POD" install?
My POD set up (a Chubby) is two K&N's mounted on the carb boots with the stock airbox removed. If that's what you mean, then yes.

I have not seen anyone with a DIY PMS thumbscrews.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh its the Two on the boots as he described, the K&N RU-0600.

I read someplace someone tapping another screw into the bottom and using a bit of jb weld on it to hold it into place.. i just dont remember where i saw it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the .5 shims just means move the second shim that is already there but on the other side of the nylon spacer so that the two are together?

I really thank you guys for the help and the input. Like I said, I can fab and do that sort of thing....but I am no motor guy, sorry if I am bumbling through this.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So the .5 shims just means move the second shim that is already there but on the other side of the nylon spacer so that the two are together?

I really thank you guys for the help and the input. Like I said, I can fab and do that sort of thing....but I am no motor guy, sorry if I am bumbling through this.
that is not a shim.somewhere in the jetting article there is a part number for radio shack...jb weld you need good eyes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the part number for radio shack is 64-3022.you get a little bag of assortedwashers.i read my last post and did not think i was very clear.so hear you are.
Thanks nick57.. i read though article and found it.. my local Radio Shack does not have it..

I see it is a #4 washer.. I am wondering if my it is available at Lowes...with the specialty washers... #4 in stainless?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats what I was afraid of.
Guess a trip to Allentown is in order first thing tomorrow to another Radio Shack

·
Registered
458 Posts
PODS
Stock
7/8
Plastic & (2) 0.5mm
1st notch & plastic spacer

Drilled Stock
145.0/147.5
Plastic & (2) 0.5mm
2nd notch & plastic spacer

Slip-ons w/baffles
2.50 - 3.5
Plastic & (2) 0.5mm

Full System
2.5 - 3.50
1.125-1.25
Plastic & (2) 0.5mm

2 into 1
2.5 - 3.50
1.125-1.25
Plastic & (2) 0.5mm

Performance (9)2into2 or 2into1
2.5 - 3.50
1.25-1.50
Plastic & (2) 0.5mm

Im running 150s with my chubby kit full exhaust and the same filters come in that kit that you bought. Bike runs great I have it sit at 3.5 turns on the screws I probably need to go down to 3 though but she runs great regadless.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shoot i dont know a no. 4 might work if you have a local hardware they probably would help you
Found the proper pack of washers at Radio shack.. all went well today.. I am putting my DIY thumbscrews together JB Weld is curing overnight.

See how that pans out, in the meantime I ordered from Metric Magic just waiting for the real thing to show up.

Should be ready to open her up tomorrow and see if all is well.

Again thanks for all the input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts