Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just wanted to pop in as a new member to the forums. I normally only lurk but since I have found that a lot of good info can be found by just introducing yourself and asking, I thought that might be better.

Right now I ride a 2011 Harley Sportster xl1200c with a few upgrades including stage 1 full. It is my starter bike since my first ended up going under a car that the driver decided he wanted me as a hood ornament (I was at a stop sign at the time, fully stopped). That said, I have put a pot of miles onto the sporty in the past year, but it's not very comfy in the long hauls (rides past 45 minute marker).

Since it's coming into my second season, I was thinking of trading into a Yamaha raider for the size of frame and motor, since the wife would like to go for a spin sometimes too. I am 6' even at about 190 pounds. Long legs take up most of my body, so as the Sporty is FUN, I get cramped up even with forward controls on her.

So with all that in my intro, could anyone give suggestions on what to expect if and when I decide to throw down for a raider?

Thanks and keep the rubber side down!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
welcome to the forums... Raider's are nice rides and that's about all i know about them. but, others should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Just got word from my local shop that they can get me on a raven raider for a buck under 12k. With trade I'd only have to part ways with 6k out the door. Does this seem to be pretty much spot on, and would it really be worth the trade? For some reason the Stealers around here won't let you test ride the bikes. Should I be a bit worried? Vice and HD always allow test rides, but metric places won't?

·
Registered
434 Posts
The place I bought my 950 was that way, but they had a clause that after I had insurance on it I had 24hrs to change my mind. That way if I crashed the liability was mine...haha. In the end I was very happy with my new bike. Best choice I've made in awhile. Have you sat on the different models to see what your butt and legs like? I was pretty bent on a raider before I sat on the 950. I really liked the sportier look, but in the end, I went for comfort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven had a chance to go down to the shop just yet but will find time to do so tomorrow. I did however test ride a couple Vic bikes. Unfortunately nothing came straight out and said "take me home!"

I'll let you know what goes on tomorrow if I can slip the boss long enough for a quick jaunt to the Stealer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2012 should be low mileage since it's unregistered. No extras, bone stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I rode the raider for the first time. Had 0 miles before initial fill-up and test ride by the dealer. 5 miles later they threw me the keys. The only stipulation was that someone had to go with me (which is fine since I didn't know too many roads around the area anyway). All I can say is WOW! The thing is supposed to be this 700 pound beast, but it felt as agile as a sport bike! By the time we returned, the bike now has 42 miles on it. Dre, the guy that took me out on the road, too me from regular roads to up and down twistiest to highways and back. Gave me enough time in the saddle to really get a good feel for it. The manager wasn't too happy when we returned though.

Post ride analysis says its going to be a hell of a hard time to not break out the check book! I'll post more in the raider forums after I get off of work today and to my computer, where I can type decently.

Cheers and have a wonderful night!

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.

Well, did your checking account get wacked or what?

Man, these new members and their mystery thread sagas are annoying. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No mystery thread saga here, unless you want to count my groveling at the feet of my Commander (wife) for authorization. She threw back the "if you really want to" card, so I'm thinking that if I do, I'll be sleeping on the couch for the next month.... or maybe in the garage with the bike. Question is now, would it be worth it? I'll find out this weekend.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What suspense. A month worth of garage sleep with the bike ill do it. Plenty of time for modding and waxing lol

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well nicodarious my man, I don't see no problem either:) A couch ain't all that uncomphy and you will have a new ride:D
Have fun with your new bike, you are doin good goin the Yamaha route:cool:

Ride Safe, Live Long:cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final decision will be made tomorrow or Tuesday since the shops aren't open Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well for better or for worse, I am now a new owner of a beautiful 2012 Yamaha raider! Just put 80 miles on her today and she handles like a dream... except on bad bumps. She likes to buck and kick more than I had initially thought. Other than that she's golden! Laid her down in the corners and she just wants to fly. No peg scraping needed to maneuver around tight hairpins like on the sporty; she just goes with the flow. She's a bit hard to piddle around in parking lots or doing U-turns though, but again I guess its her nature.

All in all, I think she was a great investment! And best of all, no fatigue at all after a short hour ride!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
actually no. I took her to see the bike in person and even she agrees that it's not only a better fit to me, but also easier for her to ride on the back of. So I still get to sleep in the bed tonight. I'll have to wax and polish the bike later :D:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts