Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this large stick mounted mirror at a yard sale

Light is by Braun and is handy cause it stands up

As KCW said, hold front brake lever (with you straddling bike) to keep bike steady and simply straighten bike to level

And then, WALLA, you'll be able to see level of oil within sight glass. Portable light really helps.

BTW this is 2005 XVS650A and I'm an older gent, so if I can do, you can too.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
If you look in the window and all you see is black you can very carefully lean the bike to the right, the level should drop down from the top of the window

dont go more than 10° over or you might drop the bike

over filling a 650 a bit is not bad, but if you have a stuck float and gas gets in the crankcase, the window will be overfilled - if you lean the bike to the right and the window is still all black that could be an indication of gas in your oil - in which case you do not want to start your engine

likewise if you look in the window and all you see is white, the oil level is low - you can get an idea how low it is by slightly tilting the bike to the left - the level should go up - if it doesnt go up your crankcase might be empty (and there should be a puddle somewhere... maybe... sometimes it only leaks while riding, depending on where its coming from)

just one more thing to be aware on on your daily TCLOCK checkd

another cool way to do this, if you always park your bike in the same spot, is to have a mirror angled by a wall (in your garage for example) that you can look in and see the window under the foot pad....

My first bike, a Honda CL175 had a center stand - I have to admit, I miss that.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look in the window and all you see is black you can very carefully lean the bike to the right, the level should drop down from the top of the window

dont go more than 10° over or you might drop the bike

over filling a 650 a bit is not bad, but if you have a stuck float and gas gets in the crankcase, the window will be overfilled - if you lean the bike to the right and the window is still all black that could be an indication of gas in your oil - in which case you do not want to start your engine

likewise if you look in the window and all you see is white, the oil level is low - you can get an idea how low it is by slightly tilting the bike to the left - the level should go up - if it doesnt go up your crankcase might be empty (and there should be a puddle somewhere... maybe... sometimes it only leaks while riding, depending on where its coming from)

just one more thing to be aware on on your daily TCLOCK checkd

another cool way to do this, if you always park your bike in the same spot, is to have a mirror angled by a wall (in your garage for example) that you can look in and see the window under the foot pad....

My first bike, a Honda CL175 had a center stand - I have to admit, I miss that.
Thanks again KCW. Good info. Yeah, I too miss center stands......and dip sticks. Do you check hot or cold? Or, does it make any diff? Seems to be easier to check using large mirror. Mine is prob 5" in diameter. I tried with smaller mirror and was unsuccessful. I'm thinking of changing oil at maybe 2K miles and going to 10W-40 syn instead of 20W-50 syn. Good plan?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
there is no reason to change the oil before 4000 miles, unless you ride less than that in a year

you are probably ok in Florida with the 20W-50 but I would put 10W-40 in it next time

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is no reason to change the oil before 4000 miles, unless you ride less than that in a year

you are probably ok in Florida with the 20W-50 but I would put 10W-40 in it next time
Def going to 10W-40 syn at next change. Thanks. Do you change filter every 8000?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
yes - there is very little particulate in a small MC engine - the scheduled every-other-oil change for the filter is good.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes - there is very little particulate in a small MC engine - the scheduled every-other-oil change for the filter is good.
Thanks. I will stick to 8K filter change and have learned already that this is a bit of a pita but just takes time.....and patience

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
This little fellow makes it much easier to see those hidden sight glasses (like the ones on the V Star 1300):
LIghted telescoping mirror
I actually purchased a short wifi endoscope to use with my phone/music player in desperation before I found this thing. After 60, the knees don't take kindly to hot asphalt/gravel/etc.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks again KCW. Good info. Yeah, I too miss center stands......and dip sticks. Do you check hot or cold? Or, does it make any diff? Seems to be easier to check using large mirror. Mine is prob 5" in diameter. I tried with smaller mirror and was unsuccessful. I'm thinking of changing oil at maybe 2K miles and going to 10W-40 syn instead of 20W-50 syn. Good plan?

I have a dipstick, but it still requires the bike to be level. What I need to do is verify the correct level then put it on the side stand and check the level and mark that, then I can check it on the side stand.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a dipstick, but it still requires the bike to be level. What I need to do is verify the correct level then put it on the side stand and check the level and mark that, then I can check it on the side stand.
Sure do miss center stands man.....lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This little fellow makes it much easier to see those hidden sight glasses (like the ones on the V Star 1300):
LIghted telescoping mirror
I actually purchased a short wifi endoscope to use with my phone/music player in desperation before I found this thing. After 60, the knees don't take kindly to hot asphalt/gravel/etc.
Great tool, as our sight with age is much better with LIGHT, huh. I'm ready to turn 80....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm back guys, now with 1300 riding miles on '05 and doing well. Getting ready to switch from 20W-50 (summer) syn to 10W-40 (winter) syn. Do you still recommend this switch? BTW this fine machine starts (summer) without choke and never stalls......and runs well on regular 87 octane with no additives whatsoever. Thanks KCW. Your were right. And finally, it's easier to see oil level in sight glass if you move bike out into bright sunlight, use LARGE mirror and lean bike upright while straddling.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I carry one of these in my bag. Works great for checking the oil level.
2" Telescopic Inspection Mirror

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
187 Posts
if theres no puddle on the ground and its not blowing blue, i check maybe twice a season.

·
Registered
249 Posts
On my 3rd oil change, I put in the exact amount, warmed it up, checked again,
turned the bike off. Next morning I took a thin ss rod, inserted it into the oil fill hole,
pulled it out and marked it.

Now, I can check my oil level before I start the bike.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my 3rd oil change, I put in the exact amount, warmed it up, checked again,
turned the bike off. Next morning I took a thin ss rod, inserted it into the oil fill hole,

Great idea.......and much easier than righting bike and looking into sight glass with mirror. Thanks arby, I'll do on my next change

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Next morning I took a thin ss rod, inserted it into the oil fill hole,

Did you attach it to the filler cap? The one on my bike is chromed, I wonder if it could be soldered or welded in place without ruining the finish.

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
187 Posts
why not stick in a cork and than put it in the hole that is in the rear of the bottom frame rail.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts