Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what ride is the one your never forget? It could be the first wobbly 30 yards, as a passenger while still a kid, a ride under extreme conditions, the ride where you met your future spouse, or... well, you get the drift. The one that has stuck with you permanently for whatever reason that is important to you.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Great topic. Not sure I have one "most memorable" that comes to mind. A few bits of rides seem I'll probably always remember.

Young and dumb years:
Riding to a nearby town trying to catch up with my girlfriend before she left school. Going over 100 MPH on my bike with a friend close behind. Those rises in the road made the bike feel like it left the ground.
Coming home from same GFs house on a road that was under construction. Loose surface they had wind-rowed into the middle of the road. Got too close and the bike climbed up it. Front wheel on one side of the pile and rear on the other. Then they switched sides a couple times. I think I was sitting on top of the tank by the time I got it slowed and down off that pile of rock.

This but down the middle of the road (at night):

More recent:
On a group ride in the mountains when a bike in front of me went down. Saw the dust kick up from it (and him) as it went off into the ditch. Kind of shook me up and gives me a better appreciation for focus and knowing ones limits.

On a recent memorial ride. Two clowns drag racing behind me and blowing by on each side as we turned onto another leg of our ride. The next stop was a bar and everyone piling in for drinks. I decided I wanted to ride my own ride and not be surrounded by those few that ruin it for the rest. What I call reckless riding and drinking is not anything I wanted a part of (see sentence above of rider going down).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easy, last fall 2 wildfires in oregon almost converged on the mountain I live on, level 3 evacuation with one fire less than 2 miles from my house. Got the boys and mom to my sisters the next town over and managed to make it back in time to get my bike. This video was taken at about 3 in the afternoon. Sky was blood red, ash falling like snow. Felt like blade runner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ip8zi4

·
Registered
99 Roadie
677 Posts
US19 drag strip on Albany, Ga. back in 1993...1428cc Kawasaki.
Let off the delay button and lost my concentration for a split second.....bike launched, snapped my helmet back putting the chin bar in my field of view.
It got way out of shape and was moving around. I could see the lights above me going by and could see down at the bike and track surface but not down the track.
Bike had auto-shift and was banging gears, l couldn't roll the throttle shut. l thought oh well.... here we go...... This is gonna hurt. Then as fast as it happened it came out of it and l was able to get the helmet back in place.....lo and behold l was pointed straight, in my lane, in high gear coasting.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy, last fall 2 wildfires in oregon almost converged on the mountain I live on, level 3 evacuation with one fire less than 2 miles from my house. Got the boys and mom to my sisters the next town over and managed to make it back in time to get my bike. This video was taken at about 3 in the afternoon. Sky was blood red, ash falling like snow. Felt like blade runner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ip8zi4
I put a Like for you sharing and that you did not get hurt, not because the dramatic situation was anything to applaud. Glad you all made it!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
US19 drag strip on Albany, Ga. back in 1993...1428cc Kawasaki.
Let off the delay button and lost my concentration for a split second.....bike launched, snapped my helmet back putting the chin bar in my field of view.
It got way out of shape and was moving around. I could see the lights above me going by and could see down at the bike and track surface but not down the track.
Bike had auto-shift and was banging gears, l couldn't roll the throttle shut. l thought oh well.... here we go...... This is gonna hurt. Then as fast as it happened it came out of it and l was able to get the helmet back in place.....lo and behold l was pointed straight, in my lane, in high gear coasting.
That was wild :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Most memorable ride? Wow, hard to pin just one down!

This one sticks out:

I was blazing up freeway onramp I hadn't used in a long time. The freeway is at the top of the hill and is reached after a steep climb up the onramp, cresting the hill, dropping down the hill and then merging onto the freeway. Well, to my shock/surprise when I crested the hill the entire onramp had been diverted such that instead of a smooth drop in the same direction, the onramp jack-knifed to the left and then back in the original direction. The result was that as I crested the hill I see the road that used to require no turn now requiring a turn to the left that I was going too fast to make.

I literally flew off the road and caught air as I flew off the hilltop and onto recently dug up dirt that used to be under the onramp. My bike was a street bike, but I landed upright and fishtailed and fought the ride all the way down the dirt hill and onto the freeway detouring the rest of the onramp now behind me. I've never been so amazed I made it through that scenario unharmed with zero bike damage. The next week I went up the same onramp slowly and was shocked to see they then had put up 3' cement roadside barriers at the top of the hill on the road side I flew off, such that had I done the same 'stunt' a week later I would have smashed head-on into the barrier.

The city had just done the construction and never bothered to put up any warning signs I suppose because the sign would have had to read; "Caution, Road now veers sharply to the left ahead" or some such verbiage they don't have to put up.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basically, you over-rode according to the conditions. I would have done the same, but it could have been a stranded car standing there with kids running around.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Basically, you over-rode according to the conditions. I would have done the same, but it could have been a stranded car standing there with kids running around.
Agreed. This was in my younger, speed demon days of riding. Since then the lesson learned is never outride (drive faster than you can stop if needed) what you can't see (blind corners, hills etc.).

A related story is when I was riding in the local twisty canyons with my younger brother, who was taking the blind corners pretty hot. At a stop I told him to slow it down, and not two minutes later we rounded a blind curve to see a smashed van right across our path. The van had tried to pull out of a camping area adjacent to the road we were on and a car coming the opposite way of us T-boned the van. The car T-boned the van because it was driving too fast around the blind curve opposite of the one we just rounded.

Reactions: faffi

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
My most memorable ride was the first one with my wife, that sounded wrong. But anyhow, we had been working together for several years. I asked her out for dinner and she agreed. I picked her up on the bike, my only transportation at the time, had dinner and suggested a nice ride. All was good till it started to rain. We were close to my apartment so we headed over there to let things dry up. We were both soaked. I gave her a pair of my shorts and a t-shirt to change into while we put her clothes in the dryer. The weather cleared quickly and took her home. We still laugh today that on our first date I got her to take her clothes off.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
633 Posts
Ocean City Bike Weekend around 2012 or so. My daughter was off from school, so we went to OC, MD for bike weekend. Rode into Margate NJ to see Lucy the elephant, drove through Wildwood and Cape May, took the Cape May Lewis ferry to Lewis, DE. That Saturday we rode around into Chincoteague, VA, then to Assateague to see the wild horses. A late evening ride through OC with bikes on display everywhere....great day.
On the ferry, and at Mr. Whippy for ice cream on Chincoteague.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ocean City Bike Weekend around 2012 or so. My daughter was off from school, so we went to OC, MD for bike weekend. Rode into Margate NJ to see Lucy the elephant, drove through Wildwood and Cape May, took the Cape May Lewis ferry to Lewis, DE. That Saturday we rode around into Chincoteague, VA, then to Assateague to see the wild horses. A late evening ride through OC with bikes on display everywhere....great day.
On the ferry, and at Mr. Whippy for ice cream on Chincoteague. View attachment 106997 View attachment 106998
Sounds like you've made some great memories with your daughter on your bike. I've had mine on a few rides but nothing that rivals that. :)

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
633 Posts
Sounds like you've made some great memories with your daughter on your bike. I've had mine on a few rides but nothing that rivals that. :)
Thanks, but I think all good / nice memories are equal.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a very memorable ride I can relate from back in my early days of riding that was sort of a good/bad memory experience. Me and 3 other riders decided to do a full day ride on a local favorite routed called Angeles Crest Highway, here in Sothern California (see related article link and paste below). The route winds through local mountains with lots of steep vistas and winding/twisting roads through the forest beauty. It was a summer day in July and we started off early morning when there was still some dew/dampness out and the guys I was with were all advanced riders, so it was a thrill to be dragging my knee for the first time on my sport bike.

The day ended with me riding home through heavy Los Angeles traffic in 100 plus degree heat and miles of stop-n-go traffic. It felt like I was in hell with sweat poring down my back and heat radiating off the pavement and my engine while I sat in traffic breathing exhaust fumes. I had never split lanes at this point, but I realized I might pass out from heat exhaustion if I didn't get some air on me. I pulled off my leather jacket and sat on it and started splitting lanes. It took me 2 hours of splitting lanes to get home and by then my arms were badly sunburned from the extreme heat.

It's a good/bad memory as it was a thrill to get home in one piece after 2 hours of splitting lanes, and the first half of the day was a blast!

5. Angeles Crest Highway (MODERATE)
Another beautiful ride! Just 20 minutes north of Downtown LA you’ll find the entrance to Highway 2, which will take you all the way to Angeles Crest Highway. Wide, winding roads that take you into a national forest are great for beginners and pros alike. That’s right, we have a beautiful forest just north of the city! A great stop along the way is Newcomb’s Ranch. You’ll see all the motorcycles on your left as you wind up about 40 minutes in. This restaurant is such a biker hang that I often hear people refer to this ride as “going up to Newcomb’s Ranch.”

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I remember many rides from years past, but the one I recall most vividly happened back in the fall of 1995. My wife was pregnant with our youngest yet to be born, and brought the unborn and out 8-year old to visit her family out East. That meant I had the weekend to myself. I called a friend, and we decided to go for a long single day ride. The weather was stunning; bright, clear blue sky, not a hint of wind leaving every lake glass smooth, perfect temps.

I am not a man of big emotions, but I was standing on the pegs of my Yamaha XS500, arms pointing towards the sky, screaming from the top of my lungs inside my full face Nolan. When we stopped for ice cream in a small town, I told my friend something bad would happen today, because I was not meant to be this happy and ecstatic.

20 miles later, when we had swapped bikes for fun, my XS500 threw its cam chain, a result of a shop messing up during an overhaul many years earlier. The broken chain caused quite a bit of havoc, but after towing the bike to the nearest town where we left it at a gas station to be picked up later. I got the bike home a few days later and went on to fix the engine. But I was correct that I am not supposed to have such happiness ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
In July of 2011, Johnny, a good friend of mine was in what I would call a bad motorcycle accident. After sliding his Harley in an oil patch on a slightly wet morning, he came off the bike and hit a sign post breaking both of his legs. Doctors did a great job fixing him with a few aftermarket parts and after an accident on Sunday he was walking on Tuesday. Fast forward two months: I had been planning to ride up to the Bikes, Blues and Barbecue Rally in Fayetville, AR which is also close to where my parents have retired to in Eureka Springs. Johnny told me that if his bike was out of the shop he wanted to ride up with me as long as I could stop and let him stretch and rest as needed. This was not a problem for me as I had taken two weeks off from work just for this trip. Well, the first and largest problem to overcome was that his bike was not ready. Dealing with the shop that was supposed to repair it is another story for another thread. We overcame this challenge when Johnny called his cousin in Dallas who was willing to loan Johnny his 2008 (I think) VTX 1800. So, I rode my bike to Dallas and Johnny drove his car, which we parked at his cousins house when we picked up the bike. Saddlebags loaded, we took off to our first stop in Longview, TX. Got to the hotel which conveniently had a bar right in the building. After a few drinks and a good nights rest, we took off for Fort Smith, AR. We rode up through Oklahoma stopping at the Broken Bow Dam and the Winding Staircase Welcome Center in the Ouachita National Forest. A couple dozen pictures later and a couple of gas stops, we arrived in Fort Smith for another night of domestic beer and rest. Next morning, up and on to the rally. We met my father and his neighbor at Pig Trail Harley Davidson in Rogers, AR both of whom had almost matching Honda ST 1100's. After spending the day at the rally, we followed them to my parent's house in Eureka Springs, where we would spend the next five days hanging out, eating good food, riding in the Ozarks and telling tall tales of our current and past adventures. Day six in Eureka, we departed for Texarkana with several stops for gas and rest along the way. A long night in Texarkana led to us sleeping in, but not being on a schedule of any kind this was not a problem. Next day, we rolled out to Dallas to return the VTX and pick up the car. After a visit and some dinner with Johnny's family, we headed back to Houston, stopping and trading vehicles about halfway where he completed the trip aboard my Harley Electra Glide. All in all it was a great trip, with fabulous riding and time spent with family. What made it all the more memorable was that Johnny was able to make the trip less than two months after a bad accident when there were those who said he may never walk again much less ride a bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few years ago, I was riding up to OKC from Richardson, Tx. to follow old Route ^^ like I had the year before. That year, in late July and early August, had been hot and miserable. Following the road signs , to follow the old route had proven to be discouraging, because of inadequate signage, s well as the aforementioned weather conditions. This year, though, was considerably different, since I has the majority of the route figured out. This year, in the words of the locals, " the monsoon season came late "(ie, considerable rain was encountered). Even though I had a good H-D rain suit (due to preparations my buddy and I had made for a cancelled trip to Maine the previous year, and my disliking the lack of visibility of the Frogg Toggs that I had earlier), the on again/ off again tedium of encountering the storms got to me after awhile. Because of the rain, the colors of the surrounding hills and mountains was quite enjoyable, even though, at the time, I didn't have a Go Pro to record it (bought one after I returned home).Instead of the stops that I made the year before, seeing dark menacing clouds over the hills ahead, where I knew the highway ran, caused me to stop for the night a lot sooner than I had intended, sometimes causing me to make a U-turn to return to the town I had just passed through. Watching the local weather report on TV in my room showed me just how wise I had been to stop (strong winds, flash floods etc.) Again, with the scenery doused with water, the colors were quite vivid.
I finally got to Kingman, AZ and discovered the continuation of old Route 66 through Oatman, AZ and went beyond to the AZ/CA border. Just short of there, I encountered 10-15 foot high piles of debris on both sides of the road, and the road was covered with a thin layer of wet mud. I shortly learned that these were signs of flash flooding in the area just a day before I rode through there. At the state border, I turned around (since I am always armed when I travel solo, and , although licensed by the State of Texas to do so, I didn't want to deal with any drama in California).
Heading back to Kingman, I got back on I 40 (it has replaced, but sometimes runs parallel to Route 66) and came oround a curve in the foothills, when I hit a hidden pothole in my lane, the force of which split the windshield on my fairing. I moved to the right lane, slowing down somewhat and was holding the pieces of the windshield to keep from getting skewered, when a !8 - wheeler came barreling around the curve behind me, in the left-hand lane. Just as he pulled back over into the right- hand lane, his truck threw a tread. Seeing that rubber twisting and squirming on the asphault to my left made me mentally give praise to my guardian angel for saving me from hitting that hazard. I continued on to Winslow, AZ, where I fueled up, and started to continue my journey. Seeing the now-familiar dark clouds ahead, I again made a u-turn and returned to the town to get a motel room. I had no sooner unloaded my stuff into my room when the sky opened up, and shortly after, the whole town lost power. AH, the joys of riding a motorcycle and experiencing nature!:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts